New Jeep truck . . . JK-8 Independence

AMC-MJ

Lol where's the love lady's loL Ya wanted a new Jeep truck and now that they have started down the path to a Jeep truck you are all hating on it ! ! !

This was CryCo's way of doing a little to no risk investment Jeep truck, Now if it sells well and RAMs continue to sell then they're own "Internal Comp" hype will do destroyed.

Leading to a more accepting mind set of Jeep trucks, That then I'm sure will lead to advancements and product expansion ;-)

Remember the first jeep truck's ? Them Willy's tin cans on wagon wheels ? ?

I wouldn't have bought one then and I wouldn't want one now ! ! !

But they became the Gladiator's, Honcho's n J-series now those were Jeep truck's, The MJ-Comanche well for an Econo truck isn't half bad . . . But I'm sure a J-truck would/could run an MJ into the ground playing "truck duty" ;)

I love my MJ Sporty driver to haul an ATV mower ect works great I love it.

But ya ain't going to be towing around Skid loaders with an MJ like a J/10-20 will ;)

Mike

Well the problem I see is that if this isn't successful, they will just decide no one wants a jeep truck. :headpop:

Yep, and being an add on, that looks like its going to cost a small fortune in parts/labor.

It should sell great.

Rob :ack:

Well guys all I gotta say is its a Jeep your all Jeeper's so support your brand now ;) Me I am an AMCer so I as an AMCer only recognize 70'-88' Model year AMC/Jeep's ;-) ! ! !

:D So if I need a pickup truck my options are :bowdown: Honcho's & Comanche's jamminz.gif

Mike

Well guys all I gotta say is its a Jeep your all Jeeper's so support your brand now ;) Me I am an AMCer so I as an AMCer only recognize 70'-88' Model year AMC/Jeep's ;-) ! ! !

:D So if I need a pickup truck my options are :bowdown: Honcho's & Comanche's jamminz.gif

Mike

the majority of us support our brand by boycotting chrysler.

jeep is dead. has been for years. you wanna buy the crap that's out now, all you're going to get is a HEEP.

you need to back off man. this vehicle is nothing but an unusable 2 door sports car with a minorly useable bed, and you know it.

above that, I'll believe they're going to produce it when I see it at the dealer or on the road.

It looks kinda cool but I would much rather build a CJ8.

One of these days the stars will align and I will find a solid one for the right price on a day I have money. :cheers:

yup. the CJ8/scrambler was it. one day i will have mine too 8)

They're going on sale starting the 4th of July.

As for boycotting Chrysler, Note my 2 Jeep's ? ! ? 1 Honcho & 1 Comanche ! ? !

Both built by American Motors Jeep Corporation jamminz.gif

Mike

IIRC the Honcho was an apearance packaage on the J-series, and not a seperate line? Like a Scrambler is a package on the CJ8 (like a Renegade CJ7) and not a the actual jeep like so many think. All Scramblers were CJ8's but not all CJ8's were equipped with the Scrambler package.

While many have indeed ben clamoring for a jeep truck, a dealer-converted JK 4dr is not really the same thing IMHO.

Not sure I just happen to have a Honcho and a Comanche, I was under the impression the short bed stepside was the Honcho . . .

Tho I have seen a few honcho's Non-Stepside just short bed . . . Mine is/was a stepside J/10 Honcho, Its going to become a J/20 Stepside shortbed Honcho ;)

Just like my Shortbed MJ is getting the Metric ton axles n suspension swapped under it.

Both will be AMC-V8 powered heavy duty shortbed stepsides :thumbsup:

Mike

A properly equipped MJ is rated to tow 5,000 #'s, IIRC. The max. tow rating for a JK Unlimited is 3,500 #'s.

The Honcho package was offered for several years on J10 shortbeds. There were very few of the sportside (stepside in Chevy-speak) trucks made, something like 1,500 IIRC, from '80-'83. Although it is just an appearance package, the production #'s for those sportsides is very low.

Yea rating's say the JK is weakier then the MJ.

But I bet if you hitched up 6,000LBs to both the MJ n JK, The JK would out perform the MJ.

I bet if both trucks hit the base of a hill at 72mph, The JK would top it at 65-67mph as where the MJ would peak the hill at 60-63mph . . . Thus being out performed by the "weakier" truck and the JK prolly use less fuel too ;)

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
IIRC the Honcho was an apearance packaage on the J-series, and not a seperate line? Like a Scrambler is a package on the CJ8 (like a Renegade CJ7) and not a the actual jeep like so many think. All Scramblers were CJ8's but not all CJ8's were equipped with the Scrambler package.

While many have indeed ben clamoring for a jeep truck, a dealer-converted JK 4dr is not really the same thing IMHO.

I believe you are half right on this in that Honcho's were just an appearance package on J trucks. But I am pretty certain all CJ8's were Scramblers and vice versa. CJ8 was simply the model designation, like a Comanche is an MJ, but they were all Scramblers. I believe the only "package" on a CJ8 Scrambler was whether or not you had the very rare Laredo package. But even the most stripped down bone stock CJ8 was a Scrambler and hence, had a Scrambler emblem on it.

Yea rating's say the JK is weakier then the MJ.

But I bet if you hitched up 6,000LBs to both the MJ n JK, The JK would out perform the MJ.

I bet if both trucks hit the base of a hill at 72mph, The JK would top it at 65-67mph as where the MJ would peak the hill at 60-63mph . . . Thus being out performed by the "weakier" truck and the JK prolly use less fuel too ;)

Mike

From personal experience, you'd break even on those bets. Here is picture of my JK with a 1,500 lb trailer and about 4,500 lbs of hardwood for around 6,000 lbs. total. I towed this load about 150 miles to deliver the firewood to my Dad for father's day a couple years ago. This included a two fairly steep hills (6% grade for a couple of miles on each) and then some freeway. The JK handled it all, including the grades, at slightly above the speed limit with no problem. The JK does not have a brake controller, but I never needed any assist from the trailer brakes.

I have pulled the same trailer with a much lighter load (riding lawnmower) over the same grades recently with my MJ and it would drop from 60MPH at the base in 5th to screaming in 4th to maintain 50MPH at the summit.

The MJ feels more powerful off the line, but the JK seems to have a much broader power band that keeps a good supply of torque available at higher RPM.

As for MPG, the MJ is a clear winner. I always get better than 20MPG average with the Comanche, but the JK, which started out at 17MPG, never gets more than 14MPG now that it is heavily modified and weighs almost 6,000 lbs wet with driver.

HPIM0133-800x600.JPG

HPIM0132-800x600.JPG

-meljr