New Jeep truck . . . JK-8 Independence

AMC-MJ

Jeep JK-8 Independence release date 7/4/11:

Its a Jeep truck, I would still hang on to your Honcho's n Comanche's for towing n hauling . . . This a make a nice "driver" truck ;-)!

I might buy my first CryCo Jeep ;-)

Mike

Went my dad bought his 87' Ranger V6 5spd 4x4 reg cab standard box he said it was cheaper then a Jeep Comanche 6cyl 4WD . . . So as far as I knew/told Jeep truck's always cost more ? ? ?

Mike

That is not a truck. Just a short cab Jeep.

Well you go ahead an argue with Jeeps CEO, He said "Its a truck but its NOT a pickup"

So they are classifying it as a truck ? ! ?

Mike

Wow look at that, its like a 4 door JK but much less useful. Can't haul 4 people and gear inclosed, and now has a shorter cargo area.

Yea well I would prefer the JK-8 over a 4Dr Wrangler any day any time, I find the 4dr Wrangler about as putrid and atrocious as 4dr pickup trucks . . . But that's just IMO most like 4dr rig's.

Atleast CryCo is making an attempt at a truck like Jeep, Maybe if they sell lots they'll expand apon the Jeep truck idea . . . Its at least a start, Ya seen the some of the trucks Jeep had before the MJ-Comanche ? ! ?

Let's face it even the MJ is a cheaply made Econo truck Its No FS-Gladiator/Honcho J-truck.

Mike

Went my dad bought his 87' Ranger V6 5spd 4x4 reg cab standard box he said it was cheaper then a Jeep Comanche 6cyl 4WD . . . So as far as I knew/told Jeep truck's always cost more ? ? ?

Mike

As far as I can remember, early '50's, Jeep vehicles have always cost more than comparable vehicles. They have also held their value longer.

Well you go ahead an argue with Jeeps CEO, He said "Its a truck but its NOT a pickup"

So they are classifying it as a truck ? ! ?

Mike

Ain't arguing with nobody. Just stating a personal opinion.

just over 2 months to get some $ together...damn not enough time :fs1: and it wasn't even at the auto show, what is jeep trying to pull :nuts:

just read up on it...it's a "kit"

you have to buy a 4 door JK and then you buy the kit to make it into the truck, the dealer can install the kit, or you can after... it's no truck, it's still a SUV, it's still a JK underneath... :fool:

I'll stick with my "true from the factory made truck"

just read up on it...it's a "kit"

you have to buy a 4 door JK and then you buy the kit to make it into the truck, the dealer can install the kit, or you can after...

Cool,

the rear door blanks look pretty decent (in pics anyway).

Pretty much like an H1 Hummer pickup.

Now, if Jeep would just follow the Hummer model, and sell these as their lowest price starting model.

(You could get H1 pickups in the low 30k's brand new when introduced).

Roll up windows, rubber floor mat, 5spd and minimum electronics to go with the base price.

Short of that,

the kit would be good to upgrade some soccer mom's 4dr JK in a few years,when they saturate the market (especially if we have $5-6+ a gallon gas then).

I would take a Humvee M1097/M1152 over a Humvee M998 / Hummer H1 K10 any time !

M1152:

M1097:

M998/H1:

GM-6.2/6.5-T 135hp n 250tq/170hp n 355tq.

M1097/1152:

AM-G 6500 205hp n 440tq / 250hp n 550tq.

Same displacement interchangeable but that is where the similarities end, Tho there is a detuned 190hp / 385tq AMG-6500 for retrofitting into GM-6.2/6.5-T power units.

I got school by some GI's about the fact that the GM-6.5T n AMG-6500 aren't the same engine . . . Apparently the blocks n heads have been recast from higher grade material and has extra webbing and supports. The PMD power injection pump has been done away with and is now an AM-G IP designed by IHC.

Apparently the AM-G is structurally stronger and makes better power with greater durability and reliability.

Uncle Sam wanted a better unit that was interchangeable, So AM-G sold GM the rights to the Hummer brand and bought the rights to the GM-6.5 diesel and also the 4L80E transmission.

Mike

Yea I love the Newest Generation Humvee once the M1152 his surplus I'll be snatching one up.

As for the JK-8 I'm all for it, I like it and I am sure I'll buy one in do time.

Mike

Stats gents, we need stats. Engines - Pentastar? Diesel? Does it have the D60 and heavy duty rear leaf springs like the export military versions. Towing and cargo capacity? Oh, and although I like the new CEO's fondness for Jeep, I must correct him. That is neither a pickup or a truck!

It's got the same specs n options as the regular Wrangler series rigs, Its just a factory produced dealership installed conversion kit.

Just a wrangler with a truck top n pickup type cargo area . . .

Mike

Yep pretty same wreck as a Comanche its a Cherokee with a box :thumbsup:

Mike

Yeah... but at least the MJ has a BOX! AMC did not cap the XJ behind the seats and call it a truck.

The whole JK8 seems very silly to me. Unless we are talking about the Egyptian drivetrain.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/04/independence-day-we-drive-the-mopar-jeep-jk-8-pickup-truck.html

these guys did a little review, the have a picture of the conversion in a pretty box with a nice bow in top. :roll:

Thanks for posting the direct link (I looked around pickuptrucks.com, and didn't see it).

Since it includes 2 entire quarter skins, and the whole bed floor (pic on side of box):

I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

Atleast you save a few bucks on the 1/2 cab, since only the rear part is new.

I wonder if there's any way to defeat the passengers side airbag (other than depending on the seat's weight sensor do it).

It would stink to get one of these,

then never be able to take a kid for a ride in it.

I agree the minivan engine is lame,

though a stripped 2wd 5spd version would be a neat little daily driver.

Since JK axles are already wide as he!!, swapping in a real truck rear would be simple,

and you could do something about rear load capacity at the same time.