CB mount location

ive had my CB hooked up for a little while now and its just been sitting on the tranny hump. i wanted to mount it right where the ashtray goes but theres nothing really to hook a screw into back there. my question is where did you mount your CB? i know a lot of XJ guys put them on the side of the hump but I'm not really liking that. thanks

I got a small radio shack CB radio.

The bracket is bent kinda like the letter C, Long along the top and short down both sides.

On the long part of the bracket, there was 1 hole in the middle.

I took my ash tray out and saw 1 hole in the middle, same as the bracket for the CB.

I put the bracket in where the ashtray use to be and it fit perfectly... Even the holes lined up!

The CB looks like it came with the jeep, It fits perfectly in there.

yup i tried the one hole thing but ive got a midland cb and its looong. i have to put the bracket at the top of the ashtray slot to fit it nicely in there. if it wasnt raining id go mess around with it :fs2:

i don't know about the back wall. it crossed my mind. id like it somewhere where i can see it. id love to hang it up around the mirror but again its a looong @$$ cb compaired to the little ones i see.

I put my CB on the dash, just right of the steering wheel. (easy to see, easy to get at) I stick velco to the dash and CB. Voila. Ran the coax to passenger side up the window across to the back of the door and out, then back to the center rear of the cab where the antenna is. I've found that's the best place for the antenna. Had a whip on the rear bumper but the signal was poor.

You can put some kind of dash cover over it all if you like. When I get home I might take a picture of the setup and post it.

Here it is.

I have mounted my CB on the cab roof near the windshield. Not the best if you've got bench seats and the guy in the middle isn't careful.

well i went out and made my own bracket to fit with that one screw. i didnt think it would hold well but ill be damned if it does! i just really wanted it right where the ashtray was. i looked around before going with that spot and really its the best possible bolt-in spot....if your a non-smoker that is ;)

thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:

well i went out and made my own bracket to fit with that one screw. i didnt think it would hold well but ill be damned if it does! i just really wanted it right where the ashtray was. i looked around before going with that spot and really its the best possible bolt-in spot....if your a non-smoker that is ;)

thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:

Looks great just sad that you got rid of the ashtray :(

Brandon

A cobra 29 will fit up by the sun visors nicly that's where I had mine in my xj it was a lil tricky getting the visors down but liked how its conveniant to reach up and turn it on. I have mounted them on the side of the tranz tunnel I don't recomend it its always in the way no matter what side it is on. And the ashtray is cool and workes well but I hate going to reach for it and the shifter being in the way. So my opinion is buy ya some sungloasses and mount it up by the visors just be sure your on the suport there and not the windsheild frame where its gona crack and not to far back where its going thru the roof.

Pete, did you build that shelf??? That's cool. I have a CB, and a 2meter HAM. That would be a great place to mount both. If you did build it would you post more pics.?

I bought it years ago. it's pretty wussy, but it does the job. dropped the sunvisors down too far for my 6ft frame and so I trimmed the visors a bit.