Synthetic oil

alleydog

Just wondering if alot of people use synthetic motor oil in their jeeps I drive a 91 YJ 2.5 to work most every day, it's only 2 miles each way. I have been running 5w30 havoline for the last 4 years, and the engine is real tired, lifters tick alot, and the oil really gets beat up bad. So last time I changed it , I put Havoline full synthetic in it, and after 300 miles, it runs better than it ever did, only ticks a little at times, and I actually use 5th gear again on the highway. Could the oil do this? It's all I changed. The only other explanation, is, "they always run better just before they blow!"

I have a close friend that works for Quality Oil Co. Its in Valpo out here in Indiana. He swears buy Synthetics, says they are the future! He uses Mobile 1. But i thinks its free to him. I have never tried, but he claims the results your talking about. He also says don't waste your money on Synthetic blends, cause there is no regulation on how much synthetic they have to put in.

I run synthetic. Why? I am not sure. It seems the synthetics usually meet my preferred ratings over conventional.

I started running synthetic in a 4.2 YJ that had 100K miles on it. Replaced the valve cover gasket and noticed lots of gunk build up on the valve train when I first got it. After some 20K miles (with synthetic) I had to do the gasket again (I was using the cork, hadn't learned of the rubber) and noticed the valve train looked nearly spotless. Little to no gunk on it.

Really like my amsoil (my preferred choice) in the colder climate that I live in. I use it in my diesel truck and my jeeps. My 01 Cummins (old truck) would start no problem, no plugged in, to temps down to 47 below air temp. That was my record anyway. The engine cranked over just fine. Same in my old 2000 XJ. Start anytime. Both vehicles ran perfect before I switched them over so I guess I have nothing to say about that. My Mjs leak oil so I do not run synthetic in them because it would just be on the ground. LOL I run Rotella 10w40 in them..

I have not got around to intruducing amsoil to my 08 Cummins. Plan is to run a bypass system due to the extra sooting of the oil with all the emmission systems on the truck..

I have a 93 chevy z71 with 230,000 miles I use for my tow rig. I switched to pennzoil synthetic about 5 years ago. Under a hard pull with the engine at operating temp It carries about 15 psi more oil pressure than regular 10w30.

I guess it really depends what you use it for, if you are constantly pulling a high load then it is useful. Also as said it is better in extreme climates, as well as it allowing longer oil change intervals.

If you just drive it regularly and it isn't cold where you live then you might as well run a conventional oil. I don't think it's a good idea to try to save money extending your oil intervals with an old higher mileage engine. I've run synthetics in my jeep before, but now I've switched back to using HDEO (diesel) conventional oils, I see no difference and have no apparent valvetrain noise from my 215k 4.0. HDEOs do a great job keeping everything clean, and have the high ZDDP that our engines thrive on.

Of course it could be argued that the 2.5 is working hard all the time.

But that's just my $.02

Yes use it, unless you're leaking or burning oil badly already. I can't quote specific studies but it's been proven superior to conventional oil for some time. You can do your own impromptu test just by comparing their burn rates. Put a few drops of each on a hot exhaust manifold see which one burns off quickest. Conventional will be gone while the synthetic will still be smoking off. Kinda of a dumb way to test but hey, I was a history major not a chemistry major.

Castrol Syntec products is only what I use in all my vehicles. Why? All my instructors at NTI aka "UTI" said its the best and thats all they use. My import friends all use it too.... so I do too. I guess I'm just following the crowd...

Me too! jamminz.gif I have Castrol stickers on my car and love it. I was going to buy their Castrol Superbike oil in my GSX-R, but it was over $15 a quart! Not that crazy, just ran Castrol Syntec and it shifted much better and ran right up to that magic 14,500 rpm!!

Castrol Syntec products is only what I use in all my vehicles. Why? All my instructors at NTI aka "UTI" said its the best and thats all they use. My import friends all use it too.... so I do too. I guess I'm just following the crowd...

Hey I'm a 2006 Grad of NTI, I joined this forum when i began down there, lol :wrench: