locking a 35?

I just got a Comanche with some stuff already on it, minus lockers, no 44 sadly just 35 and i was wondering antidisestablishmentarianism the success failure rate of locking these axles is? Oyea it has to turn 35 x 12.5 mudders.

Also ive found a guy with a front dana 44 for sale with manual warn hubs it would fit on mine right?

Oyea it has to turn 35 x 12.5 mudders.

Not gonna happen.

Also ive found a guy with a front dana 44 for sale with manual warn hubs it would fit on mine right?

A Dana 44 out of what vehicle? NO MJ or XJ had a Dana 44 in front.

35s are not that bad. Seems that a couple folks have had issues and it spread like wildfire on the internet. And if it was seen on the internet, must be true eh? I know a bunch of guys that run them without problems. Yes locked on 35s but with the addition of a Super 35. One guy has a 4 cylinder, 4:1 Low Range, Dana 44 front, Dana 35 rear, 35s, and drives like a nutcase! Had to swap in a 44 because he could not keep the 30 alive with the 4:1. Okay I'm done, carry on...

forgot to add the tires are super swamper ltbs, and the axle has been turning 35s since 2003! :yes:

Not gonna happen.

Not true...

Export model XJ/MJ's did... We had a member here from South America that had a an MJ with a D-44 in the front.

Not gonna happen.

Not true...

Export model XJ/MJ's did... We had a member here from South America that had a an MJ with a D-44 in the front.

My wife is from Chile and I have spent a lot of time in Chile, including hanging out with a fellow member of NAXJA from that country. XJs and MJs in Chile were built in the U.S. and did NOT have Dana 44 front axles. The Dana 44 was used in XJs and MJs built IN Venezuela, for sale in Venezuela. While that makes you technically correct and me wrong, for practical purposes it doesn't matter, because we aren't going to find one here in the U.S.

35s are not that bad. Seems that a couple folks have had issues and it spread like wildfire on the internet. And if it was seen on the internet, must be true eh? I know a bunch of guys that run them without problems. Yes locked on 35s but with the addition of a Super 35. One guy has a 4 cylinder, 4:1 Low Range, Dana 44 front, Dana 35 rear, 35s, and drives like a nutcase! Had to swap in a 44 because he could not keep the 30 alive with the 4:1. Okay I'm done, carry on...

forgot to add the tires are super swamper ltbs, and the axle has been turning 35s since 2003! :yes:

my d-35 blew up its gears while wearing 30" tires under a 2wd daily driver.

individual results may vary. :yes:

thanks for the replies guys! you've said about as much as i had assumed, that i would need a 44 if i was going to lock it, ill start hitting up the junk yards around here. There aren't that many tricked out jeeps around here so hopefully they have some 44's kicking around. Ill try not to go insane with it for now lol. I'm working on getting the rest of the jeep to be able to pass a safety, since its from out of province the gov wants a safety on vehicles before you can plate them. Even though i never intend to take it on the highway i want to be able to hit the gravel roads to go hunting. Problems include An oil leak of large proportions, valve cover gasket for sure and it looks like the rear main seal as well grrr, rust of mammoth proportions, no kidding at all its ridiculous, exhaust leaks that put out more exhaust than the end of the pipe, and a mysteriously missing rear bumper hmmm good think i know how to weld . Luckily i work at a mechanical shop where i can work inside every night if i want! Ive been taking pics and will post on a build thread when i get a chance.

A 29 spline 8.25" out of a 97 or newer XJ is close to a 44 in strength and much easier to find. I have abused mine with 35" tires off road for a year and a half now without a problem. It replaced a 35 that gave up when I was running 33s.

A 29 spline 8.25" out of a 97 or newer XJ is close to a 44 in strength and much easier to find. I have abused mine with 35" tires off road for a year and a half now without a problem. It replaced a 35 that gave up when I was running 33s.

hmmm sounds like a good idea sir! People may not jack up that many cherokees around here but they sure do wreck alot of them.