Parts MJ value check

87Warrior

Some of you are familiar with the 86 I visited a few weeks ago for parts. You know, the one with nice black interior.

I got an e-mail from the guy asking if I wanted to buy the rest of the truck for scrap value, estimated at $200. He understood I am a MJ enthusiast and wants to give me a chance at it before it gets smashed.

1986 'Custom

- No motor. Was 2.8

- AW4

- No tcase

- D30/35

- Slight rust on bed, some bondo on bed

- Cab corner/Rocker/B-pillar in good shape

- Front fenders dented

- Turbine wheels, one center cap

- Header/grill/bezels decent, some cracking

- Dirty but 95% complete Black interior with cloth bench (missing trim piece above rear window)

- Has Title in hand

Is it worth it? Should I get the whole thing or go and pull more parts? What would YOU do?

My wife thinks I am crazy and already have too much to do on my truck!

Depends on a couple of things (IMHO):

1) Can you store it cost effectively without neighbors getting angry?

2) Would you reasonably have a use for the parts if they would not sell?

I imagine someone would be willing to pay for the black interior pieces which would recover some of the $200.00, but the D35 would be a give-away part. The bed's value would be determined by just how 'rough' it really is under the bondo. Tailgates are roughly selling for $100.00 to $140.00 on Fleabay.

I passed on an 86 with a 2.5 that was being sold for $150.00 because I had no place to store it :roll:

Storage is not an issue (I had better be careful, don't need to end up like Jim)... It can go in the same dirt barn my donor XJ is in. I would personally have little to no use for the parts from the truck.

Rob - You are thinking along the same line as I am. I would hate to see a good B-Pillar, cab corner or roof get smashed. Even though I don't need one somebody will, and with fewer MJs around those parts will be hard to find. Guess if it turns out being better than I recall, I could swap a drivetrain in there along with my old gray interior and sell the truck as a running vehicle. (assuming he really does have the title)

Now I am just rambling, seems I have subconsciously made up my mind and just need confirmation from others with the same MJ illness umn.gif

If its an 86, it won't have an AW4, it should have an A904... it is the smaller version of the TF727 from Chrysler, and is readilly buildable to handle more horsepower. Just thought I let you know you don't have an AW4.

Thanks 8) I don't know many details about the 86 and just made an assumption.

Kudos to you if you if you save it. I would have a storage problem. I like the idea of putting a new drive train in it if he does have the title in hand.

Buck.

P.S. I really like the work you have done on your mj. My parents live in Shawnee and hope I see your mj in person someday!

Get over there and save it!

On the subject of '86MJs. Did they have a different firewall than the rest of the MJs to accommodate the V6 a little better? I thought I heard that somewhere, but not sure if it's true. Also, I've seen some 86MJ builds and it looks as though the front-most cross member is different than the rest.

If its an 86, it won't have an AW4, it should have an A904... it is the smaller version of the TF727 from Chrysler, and is readilly buildable to handle more horsepower. Just thought I let you know you don't have an AW4.

Thanks 8) I don't know many details about the 86 and just made an assumption.

It's a Jeep. NEVER assume anything.

If you have the room, grab it. They stopped building MJs 19 years ago, so it isn't like you're going to see more of them coming down the 'pike. Just the title and VIN plates are worth $200.