Lockers for my Blue88Comanche

I have heard some about lockers... some people say get them, others say don't... :???: I also know that there are different types of lockers.. I go off roading on the weekends and would rather not camp out on a trail or our hunting property. I use my MJ as my Primary driving vehicle during the work week.

I was told that Detroit auto-lockers are what I need. Any thoughts?

Depending on how hard you push it and how big you plan to go on tires, I would recommend a Detroit TrueTrac limited slip in the rear. It's a mechanical limited slip rather than using clutches like the factory, and it works very well while being completely transparent on the street.

I thought you would start out with a rear locker for street vehicle and that a front locker is bad for the street :dunno:

A locker only locks when there is power being sent to the axle. On the street, the front axle is disengaged and no power is being sent to it, so the locker should never engage.

ok then. I must have miss understood when I researched this not to long ago. I was lead to believe a front locker would be bad for street driving because it would not let you turn as freely.

Brandon

i think thats the rear your thinking about.

plus if your going to drive it daily you don't want a locker in the rear..or at least not a full-time one

Why's that? I have a Detroit and drive my truck every day.

mainly just because of turning. one wheel has to turn faster/slower then the other but like Pete said theres a lot of variables that go into it i guess. maybe its just me but youd think that a fulltime locker and turning all the time would either wear out your tires faster or even the locker. hell your living it though so i suppose youd know better then me (without one) :dunno:

anyway back to subject id still lock the front first. its like a secret weapon, its not there until you pop it into 4wd and then boom, your actually going where you want to jamminz.gif

• 1 month later...
late model shafts with some 297 U-joints would be on my list if I was adding in a front locker. :thumbsup:

Can you expand on this? I would also like to upgrade my axles, starting with the front. Are you talking about 97+ XJs?

Are you talking about 97+ XJs?

All XJ's 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all XJ's 95+ have 5-297x u-joints.

What about the axle disconnects? Will the XJs have the same axle shafts? Would I be able to take the axles and u-joints and slap them in my MJ?