Steering Column Compatibility

Hey quick question.

My jeep has a busted up steering column and essential no blinker signals or washer controls so i got to swap in a new one.

here's the questions

up to what year (mine is an 88 2wd) are the steering columns bolt in?

is there a posibility of getting one with tilt?

Not sure on the years but one of the other guys will jump in on that. I'm pretty sure '86 to '89 is a bolt in, and maybe up to '92. They did have tilt columns for Jeep. I have a couple in the yard and I've seen them else where. If you can't find a Jeep look for a GM. That's where Jeep got theres from and they bolt in.

I almost slipped up on this one. You left out an important detail. What transmission do you have? Or more specifically is it a column shift auto? If so I'm pretty sure you're going to be limited to one from an '86-90 MJ with column shift if you want a direct swap. Not sure if these came in tilt versions or not. If it's not column shiftr you'll also be able to use '84-'90 XJ columns as well. Lots of those in tilt for sure.

84 to 94 are the same column. Auto and manual have different key lock outs but can be made to work. I prefer auto columns as I can bypass the lockout entirely...no more annoyances preventing me from removing my key.

Are you meaning so that you can remove the key from the ignition with it still running?

If so, how do you do it?

I could do that on my TJ, thought the key was worn, probably was.

I'd sure like to pull the key out of mine while it's running. Wouldn't have to shut it down when I want to use the knife on the key ring when the grand daughter wants her apple sliced.. Yeah I know I could just take the knife off the ring, but, that sucks. Whats gotta be modified?

84 to 94 are the same column. Auto and manual have different key lock outs but can be made to work. I prefer auto columns as I can bypass the lockout entirely...no more annoyances preventing me from removing my key.

Are you meaning so that you can remove the key from the ignition with it still running?

If so, how do you do it?

I could do that on my TJ, thought the key was worn, probably was.

no.

it removes the cable connected to the shifter handle in the auto, which does not require the vehicle to be in park in order to remove the key.

I don't do that on an auto column that's actually in an automatic...not very safe. but I do that mod when I put an auto/tilt non-column shift steering column in a 5 speed, because then I don't have that annoying little button that I have to flip in order to remove the key.

I'd sure like to pull the key out of mine while it's running. Wouldn't have to shut it down when I want to use the knife on the key ring when the grand daughter wants her apple sliced.. Yeah I know I could just take the knife off the ring, but, that sucks. Whats gotta be modified?

wear the key lock out...then you can do that.

otherwise, get a quick-clip key ring so you can pop the knife off. or a spare key.

I actually had a beater truck that I snapped the key off in on purpose so that no one would know it was in the truck, and I couldn't lose the key.

If I put a 94 column in my 89 do I have to do anything with the ignition switch? or is it just bolt in?

If I put a 94 column in my 89 do I have to do anything with the ignition switch? or is it just bolt in?

literally bolt-in.

the ignition switch is actually not the same part as the ignition "tumbler (or key cylinder). it's located on the top of the column, but down by the firewall. there was a difference between tilt and non-tilt switches, but so long as you use the proper switch for the column, it will work.

the only reason that I mention that difference is that when swapping from non-tilt to tilt, you must rotate the two ignition switch connectors 180 degrees in order to plug them back in (rotate them as a pair, since they overlap each other when plugged in...)

-Pat

I have an '88 2wd Eliminator that I just swapped columns in. Mine: 2wd, 5 spd., tilt. Donor: '93 XJ, auto (on floor), tilt. Went right in. Only mod was to safety wire the linkage for the tranny ignition lock-out in the up (towards the steering wheel) position, and remove the associated cable bracket. VERY IMPORTANT!: Get the key for your donor column's ignition! Keep your '88 door key!

• 10 years later...
On 2/8/2011 at 8:49 PM, JeepcoMJ said:

...but I do that mod when I put an auto/tilt non-column shift steering column in a 5 speed, because then I don't have that annoying little button that I have to flip in order to remove the key.

What is involved in the mod?  I'm currently installing an auto column in manual truck and neglected to think about the lockout lever.  Thanks for the help.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, JolietJEEP'84 said:

What is involved in the mod?  I'm currently installing an auto column in manual truck and neglected to think about the lockout lever.  Thanks for the help.

My lockout lever is literally just epoxied in place.  Put it in the park position and apply a liberal amount of JB Weld

Saginaw Steering column, remember AMC was jokingly called All Makes of Cars. 
The Saginaw column was used in lots of GM's too, like the Full size truck, and the S10/S15  mid eighties A Body, ala Monte Carlo, Pontac, Firebird, Camaro. 
etc. 
Even used the same one in Wrangler. 
One difference is shaft connects column to the gear box. 
Just notice if its got a column shift or not... 

9 hours ago, Caish said:

Saginaw Steering column, remember AMC was jokingly called All Makes of Cars. 
The Saginaw column was used in lots of GM's too, like the Full size truck, and the S10/S15  mid eighties A Body, ala Monte Carlo, Pontac, Firebird, Camaro. 
etc. 
Even used the same one in Wrangler. 
One difference is shaft connects column to the gear box. 
Just notice if its got a column shift or not... 

I believe there were different lengths made also. I think our columns are the s10, and car size. I think fullsize trucks and vans were longer columns that won't fit. I may be wrong on this. Working from memory isn't as accurate as it once was.

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, KERWIN said:

Are all the electrical plugins the same can I just unplug the electric and plug-in a column of the same model from from a Cherokee to Comanche will they plug right in

No there were several different variants through the different generations of XJ and MJ production.  Someone with better info can tell you what years the break would be for a particular column.  If you get one from the same era it should be basically a plug and play.