My house!

JohnQ

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Looks like you have a nice lot there.

I'm curious as to what is shown in the pictures with the wooden formers and the red fill inside them. I'm not very familiar with slab construction, up this way it's mostly basements.

Yeah, definatly different construction to me.

All we do is take off the top soil until we find somehting hard (rock, glacial till, etc) cut a couple deep holes in it for frost-free footings, then lay out the rebar and start with the concrete.

But, congrats. A flat lot is a good lot.

• 2 weeks later...
where abouts are ya in texas haha, i live up in garland by dallas...

if i remember i think you said somethin about houston on another post?

I'm building my house in Magnolia, which is about an hour drive from houston.

Let me know if you are ever going to be in the area and I'll show you some of the local trails.

I know how excited you must be, we built our last two homes and have been very happy with them.

Is it common practice down there to put a slab on fill dirt? Seems kind of risky to me, seems if you had to use any fill it would be best to use crushed lime.

The fill dirt is a red clay. I don't know much about it, but it passed inspection.

If it would ever stop raining the builder could finish my house. :roll:

Here is my little house on Christmas day!

How expensive is it to put in a drive way?

It's a good thing that all three of my vehicles are 4wd! :D

Congrats man. Your house is going up quick. Around here it isnt common to do the fill in the foundation like that, but I have seen it done a few times. Most ppl either do slab on the ground style... or crawl space foundations around here. there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

The house looks great so far, nice design.

Thanks, it will be my first house!

It's small but it's big enough for my family of four. In the near future I want to turn my garage into a family room and add a detached shop/garage. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's small but it's big enough for my family of four. In the near future I want to turn my garage into a family room and add a detached shop/garage. :D

Do it and you'll never look back. I know a lot of people out here with detached shops, and they all figure it was the best money they ever spent!

wow! i really like the looks of that house man! congrats... now i see why the rubi is going... I'm just glad it's not the manche!

and GA red clay is some stuff man, NOT FUN to get stuck in. trust me.

we got my brothers 84 grand waggy framed out in a construction zone (found out the vacuum 4x4 didnt work the hard way :roll: ) and it took a 30ton bulldozer with tracks not tires... to pull it out... and they had to pack in fresh dry dirt for that thing to get footing on!

How expensive is it to put in a drive way?

On mine the concrete and asphalt were over $10,000.....

107drive-med.jpg

.....each.

But looking at yours, and depending on what you want it shouldn't cost nearly as much as mine. Conrete is awesome, asphalt is nice, but common stone or shell with base is very cheap and easy.