My MJ project blog

well, did the ebrake over the weekend. the dana 35 ebrake cables went right into the 8.8 drums like they were stock. it is nice to have an ebrake again!

also put on a dynomax muffler and rerouted the rear of the exhaust to exit right behind the passenger tire, above the leaf spring.

removed the rear bumper in prep for making one with a better profile.

i will try and get some pix up tonight.

edit for pix

nathan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow it has been a while for an update. we bought a new house and the new commute was killing me in the mj, almost sold it. but decided to sell the volvo 855 and got a vw jetta tdi, man 46 mpg is nice!

so, after finishing a few house projects, i have spent some time on the mj. picked these up at the swap meet for $250 for 5! yes wheels and tires! sold my old wheels with almost bald toyo's for $200, so $50 for 31x10.5 bfg at's on jeep wheels- not bad.

this is how it sits with 31's and about 3.5-4" of lift.

finally got around to doing the herculiner bedliner. prep was a pain but it went on pretty easy. hides the dents nice!

now i am working on getting the mj parking cables to work in the 8.8 drums. looks like it may just fit. also took out the foot pedal latch and am in the process of making it work again so it does not slip and come unlatched.

next up is a new muffler and maybe cat.

later!

nathan

HERCULINER! AWFUL!! YOU ARE GONNA REGRET THAT JOB IN THE FUTURE. THAT CRAP TRAPS MOISTURE AND WILL PROMOTE RUST AND CORROSION. LOOK LIKE ShYT too!!

You shoulda got a spray in job that was high build polyurethane because when it catalyzes it forces out more moisture.

Herculiner job in my old 1995 XJ... rotted out like hell underneath the herc but not on the other side of the jeep. Had to replace the floors in it!!

AARON

swapped out the thermostat as the mj was only getting to about 165 degrees. put in the stock 190 degree and now it is back at 200 where it should be.

also found my speedo gear i knew i had laying around. 31" tires, 3.73s took a 34 tooth to bring it back to stock. i guess a 33 is ideal but according to my gps, it is very close.

anyone have a cd player laying around they want to get rid of?

picked up a cheap cb just for trail communications. don't know anything about cb's and i did not tune it so we will see how it works. it will only be used a few times a year.

where i mounted it

running antenna wire

inside mounted.

haven't tested it yet but it makes noise jamminz.gif

nathan

well the cb worked awesome but those front springs have to go! i picked them up on craigslist and the guy didn't know the brand but they are either skyjacker or rancho and seeing how stiff they are, i am guessing rancho. who makes the "softest" 3" lift springs for the mj? i had good luck with my rubicon express ones before.

on the rough aggregate roads, the guys in the independent fronts left me in the dust getting my teeth knocked out. i don't remember my zj riding that rough with a 3" lift. any suggestions?

well the cb worked awesome but those front springs have to go! i picked them up on craigslist and the guy didn't know the brand but they are either skyjacker or rancho and seeing how stiff they are, i am guessing rancho. who makes the "softest" 3" lift springs for the mj? i had good luck with my rubicon express ones before.

on the rough aggregate roads, the guys in the independent fronts left me in the dust getting my teeth knocked out. i don't remember my zj riding that rough with a 3" lift. any suggestions?

XJ front springs

OEM is supposedly 147 lb/in rate.

Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded

Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate

Rusty's 4.5" coils give 5" of lift and have a 150 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded

RE's 4.5" ZJ coils give 6"-6.25" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded (RE ZJ coils are 240 lb/in)

Rustys 3" coils give 3" and have 150 lb/in rate.

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in rate

Tera 4" TJ coils give 4.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded

Tera 3" TJ coils give 3.5" of lift on an XJ and have a 170 lb/in rate

RE's 4.5" ZJ coils give 6"-6.25" of lift on an XJ and have a 200 lb/in rate, 22" tall unloaded

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils I had give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in rate.

OEM is supposedly 147 lb/in rate.

OME coils give 2.25" - 2.5" of lift and have a 148 lb/in rate

OEM Old man EMU XJ is supposedly 142-147 lb/in rate. 17" length 5.25" diameter

OEM ZJ with 4.0 is supposedly 190 lb/in rate front and rear.

OME 930 coils: 160 lb. spring rate. 1.75" of lift on XJ

OME 934 coils: 180 lb. spring rate.The 934 spring is 35 mm (1.37") longer than the 930 spring.

The 930 is listed as a XJ or ZJ I-6 spring and the 934 is listed as a ZJ V-8 spring but is also used on the XJ. the 934 should give about 2.5in lift.

Tera 4" TJ coils have a 200 lb/in rate , 20.25" tall unloaded

Tera 3" TJ coils have a 170 lb/in rate

RE Rubicon Express 4.5in ZJ coils are 240 lb/in. give 5.5" ish of lift on an XJ 22" tall unloaded

RE 5.5XJ coils are 4.5ZJ coils.

Rusty's 6.5" 22" long, 12 wraps of 5/16" stock

Rancho 3" coils, at least the old coils give about 2 1/4" of lift on an XJ and have a very high 235 lb/in rate.

Rockkrawler 6.5" are 165 lbs/in

SJ Sky Jacker 3" ZJ coils 218 lbs/in

SJ 6in XJ RR coil is 13 coils and same height and thickness as the RE ZJ4.5in XJ5.5in coil.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I purchased this sweet MJ, last summer and I will be updating this thread as I continue to build on what goldtooth built.

Plans right now include aftermarket winch-bumper and rear bumper. Also SOA lift, probably about 6" and 33's.

We will see how long it takes to complete these things as I have to take the BAR exam this July and then having my first rugrat in August.

• 10 years later...
On 5/26/2010 at 12:39 AM, flash256 said:

I purchased this sweet MJ, last summer and I will be updating this thread as I continue to build on what goldtooth built.

Plans right now include aftermarket winch-bumper and rear bumper. Also SOA lift, probably about 6" and 33's.

We will see how long it takes to complete these things as I have to take the BAR exam this July and then having my first rugrat in August.

so any updates or are you a liar? :sad2: