My MJ project blog

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after driving it for a few days, i have to say that the 3.73 gears are right on. it may even seem over geared. i don't know how you guys do it with 31s and 4.10's, it would make 1st gear useless. anyway, my speedo is reading about 5 mph over now so i need a new speedo gear. any idea on # of teeth?

got all the vibes dialed out and it drives better than it did before i lifted it. new ball joints, shocks and stiffer springs doesn't hurt.

made some swaybar extensions/discos. just have to take off the nut for the disco. this truck won't do much wheelin that will need the swaybar off.

got the buckets cleaned up today

old bench seat

drivers bucket in

man that is tall!

i had to drill out the rivets on the bench seat brackets and the bucket seat brackets and swap them. a few bolts and welds and they went right in. i am not sure on how well i like the higher seating position yet. i may cut the brackets down by an inch or so but have to deal with the front bracket hitting the tranny tunnel.

also picked up some herculiner for the bed. gonna wait till it warms up a little first though.

Looks really good!! Its nice you have the weather to do all this now.....its single digits here!!!

I am swapping Corbeau b suspension seats into my TJ and will put the TJ buckets into my MJ. I have XJ buckets in there now...

BTW..looks like you have the seats swapped. What I mean is, is the pass seat is bolted in on the drivers side.

CW

good eye. i bought 2 passengers seats as they were in better shape and had a lot more support than the drivers seats. i picked up an extra drivers side slider and put it on the passengers seat.

after driving it with the seat in, i need to lower it down. might make a custom front bracket or mod the existing one.

yes it is about 4" of lift with 31's. i have noticed the drivers side rear is about .5" lower than the passengers side :nuts: don't know what to do yet but its buggin me.

nathan

i have noticed the drivers side rear is about .5" lower than the passengers side :nuts: don't know what to do yet but its buggin me.

nathan

Mine's slightly lower and I decided to blame it on the gas tank. Could also have sagged from having a driver over there for 20 years. :dunno:

just got done putting in the passengers seat. i cut up the brackets and lowered the seat so the rails are almost on the floor. it is much more comfortable and easier to get in and out. not the prettiest but it is solid. gonna do the drivers side next and will get some pics.

nathan

just got done putting in the passengers seat. i cut up the brackets and lowered the seat so the rails are almost on the floor. it is much more comfortable and easier to get in and out. not the prettiest but it is solid. gonna do the drivers side next and will get some pics.

nathan

I am going to do this myself...soo as I get the MJ back that is.... IO am also swapping in TJ buckets!!

Snap some pics of how/what you dd. I would LOVE to see what you came up with!!

I am not a small guy...@ 6" 240 lbs. I could use my seats a bit lower!!!

CW

man i don't know how you fit with the seat that high! i am 5'9" 175lbs and it sucks getting in and out. keep hitting my head. i will try and get some pics this weekend.

nathan

I go in "head first"!! :D :brows: ;) :roll:

Yup, I too hit my head a couple times REALLY good...I learned to lead with my head when entering!!

CW

are you guys using 2door or 4door XJ seats? i have 4door XJ seats in mine. they were in my parts vehicle here, and i wanted to use them. i put the MJ brackets on them and i have like 4-5 inches between my head and the roof. granted i have no headliner...but i think its perfect the way it is.

sorry about the delay, i was rebuilding our back fence all weekend. the pics are kinda bad and forgive the messing looking brackets as this was during the test fitting before i finished and painted them. i basically cut the front brackets down near the floor and used pieces of the top mj and xj brackets to weld on behind the bottom bracket. the rears are pretty much on the floor and were just some tabs. they are very beefy and look better in person than on these pics

• 6 months later...

wow it has been a while for an update. we bought a new house and the new commute was killing me in the mj, almost sold it. but decided to sell the volvo 855 and got a vw jetta tdi, man 46 mpg is nice!

so, after finishing a few house projects, i have spent some time on the mj. picked these up at the swap meet for $250 for 5! yes wheels and tires! sold my old wheels with almost bald toyo's for $200, so $50 for 31x10.5 bfg at's on jeep wheels- not bad.

this is how it sits with 31's and about 3.5-4" of lift.

finally got around to doing the herculiner bedliner. prep was a pain but it went on pretty easy. hides the dents nice!

now i am working on getting the mj parking cables to work in the 8.8 drums. looks like it may just fit. also took out the foot pedal latch and am in the process of making it work again so it does not slip and come unlatched.

next up is a new muffler and maybe cat.

later!

nathan

Let me know how that parking brake works out. I've been running my 8.8 for 4 years now in 2 different vehicles and haven't had a parking brake the entire time... :nuts:

it's easy to hook up. someone on here did a good writeup on it...use 1 cable clamp per side, and one of those teardrop cable guides to wrap it around the control for the e-brake. cut your spring down so it will still fit in there and give you a "return" and call it a day.

it's a $12 project at most.