My MJ project blog

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i am going to get the 297 shafts for it and run it with the 31's for a while. i am going to save the hp30 for a future build and eventually regear it to 4.56's for when i run 33's. i just don't want to pay for regearing to run 31's, even a lp30 will be fine. i ran a lp30 in my zj for years with 33's and it was fine, and the zj wieghs much more and had a v8. 2-3 years out, i will be running 33's with the hp30 and 8.8

nathan

May have d-shaft probs cause it so much lower than stock and you have lift on it. Just a thought you might want to check into you can also run 5.13 gears in the LP and only 4.88s in the HP so thats one plus.

Cole

well, got a lot done this weekend. the factory exhaust manifold had the standard crack at the collector welds so i picked up a banks header copy from apn for $140 shipped including the gaskets. i ordered it wed and it showed up friday! figured if i am replacing the exhaust mani i might as well replace the motor mounts to help keep the new mani from cracking. i also replaced the leaky valve cover gasket. while it was off, i cleaned out all of the sludge on the inside and in the breather holes. man was it plugged! the inside was bad as was the intake runners. fully cleaned out the intake and throttle body as well as the intake holes in the head. changed the oil cause the filter body has to be moved to replace the passenger side motor mount. i did manage to crack the heater valve in the process (it was very brittle) and will replace it after christmas. oh i also rebuilt the wiper linkage. busy day!

next is the spray in bedliner coolant hoses.

a><!-- m -->

nathan

I am interested in the source for that headder and the brand name you said was APN?? Wtf is that?? I have a banks TT in my 95 and that looks exactly like it. I need to put a headder in my 1996 and in my 1987MJ. $140 is much better than $450

• 2 weeks later...

picked up my 3.73 dana 30. it is a lp out of a zj but it will be fine for the 4" lift and 31's i will be running. i am keeping the hp30 for future upgrades to 33's and will regear that one later. picked up the whole axle for $50 including the shafts. i am going to run the cv shafts from the zj as i had good luck with them in my zj. i believe they are stronger than the 267s in there now. putting in new ball joints and then it's going in with the 8.8.

also picked up some s10 spings to get some lift in the rear. just need the following to complete the lift

1" coil spacer

8.8 flange adaptor

i will have pics as i start the lift.

nathan

Swap Meet Info

http://www.moonshinersjeepclub.com/swap ... apmeet.htm

Its worth going to. Its like Disneyland for 4x4 enthusiasts. I got a full set of Dueler ATs on Suzuki rims for my Zuk for 50 bucks last year. They have a lot of used stuff as well as Vendors with swap meet discounts. Good discounts for new lockers, tires, gears, batteries, shocks, etc.

This year I'm looking for some new thick D44 4:10 gears as well as some spare used parts and maybe an optima knock-off or two. They are usually around 60 bucks.

Update

Went to the JY for 2 weekends now and got most of what I needed so I started the lift. Picked up my 8.8 flange adapter and some bucket seats to throw in.

I was planning on putting in my old V8 zj springs and a 2" spacer for about 3" of lift for the front. Pulled the old d30 out and put the mj springs next to the zj springs, and what i found was suprising. mj on the left and zj on the right.

i put them in anyway and it only lifted it maybe 3/4 of an inch. so i took them out and found these rancho or skyjacker coils on craigslist for $80 with some funky lca's. I put my 1.75" spacer in also and got about 4" of lift.

the lp30 got new balljoints and i used the zj cv joint axles which were in good shape. put my old DT shocks on from my zj also. need to make some swaybar links and maybe look for a shorter front driveline.

took it for a spin and it rides really nice. much firmer but comfortable. the new ball joints makes the steering so firm. the old lowers were full of dirt and very sloppy.

next is front lca's and uca's hopefully from the swap meet.

start the rear tomorrow by making a bastard leaf pack using s-10 springs and putting in the 8.8.

later!

nathan

i like your method of holding the caliper up...creative.

we usually hang them on the LCAs.

but i guess if you're taking that off it doenst work like that huh :nuts:

yeah, with the ca loose, it don't hold much :)

So you say that header's the best bang for the buck, huh?

Notice a power difference over stock? How about sound? Tone?

Btw, I love the quick transition from your first post, and your interest in modding your jeep now!

Jeep on!

I think it is. I didn't want to spend $400+ on a name brand header so it works. only sound diff is the lack of an exhaust leak and there may be a little more power but that also could be because i cleaned the intake manifold and intake.

i have wanted to start modding since i got it but had to fix the brakes and the routine maintanence stuff first. now the fun part starts.

nathan

started the rear today.

no more d35!

those front leaf spring bolts were a pita!

s-10 top leaf next to mj spring pack

s-10 main leaf (front) next to mj main leaf (in back)

cut off the s-10 main leaf eyes and laid it on top of the mj main leaf. pretty close to the same arch. don't know how much it will help.

i think by combining certain leaves i might be able to get enough for 2" or so of lift. with a longer shackle, 3" is possible.

nathan

small update.

built up the leaf packs and put the axle in place to get ready to weld on the spring perches. the leaf pack is a follows

mj main

s-10 main

s-10 second

s-10 third

mj overload

that gave me about 2" of lift, maybe a little less when it settles. i also made longer shackles for about 1.5" of lift.

tomorrow i set the pinion angle and tack on the perches then pull out the axle on finish the welds. then just figure out what to do for lower shock mounts, hook up the brake lines and ebrake cables.

nathan

Check out my MJ post for an idea on those lower shock mounts....Its easy and works well!! I bought the bolt part from the "help" section at the parts store...

I am going to be working on the upper mount come warm weather...gonna tip the top of the shocks to the center of the truck to allow me a longer shock....

CW

i think i will be able to use the explorer lower shock mounts. i reversed them and with a little bending, i think they will work fine.

pulled out the axle and welded up the perches. these leaf springs sure are a lot easier to set up then 4 links!

tomorrow i will finish the shocks, hook up the brake lines and ebrake. looks like the the explorer ebrake cables will not work with the mj system. one cable is too short and one is too long. i am going to try and use the d35 cables.

nathan

got the axle all the way in but haven't had the chance to drive it yet. hooked up the stock ford rubber brake line to the jeep hard line. bolted in the shocks can up to help clear the lower shock mounts. stock driveline fit perfect

hopefully get to drive it tomorrow and give an update and some full shots.

nathan