Are new parking brake pedal assembly's available? YJ?

Figures! I noticed YJ's have an awfully similar looking assembly (in pictures). I would find it hard to believe that AMC designed two separate units for the same purpose but anything is possible (especially with AMC).

YJ units are still available from the dealer, as there was a recall on them, and some of them still pop up here and there, We've done at least two of them on YJ's this year at my dealer. They are VERY similar, and I would think that if you had enough injenuity you could bolt it up one way or another and make it work. Ive kept one of the recalled brake assy's just for this purpose, but havent looked at them side by side to see really how similar they are. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Figures! I noticed YJ's have an awfully similar looking assembly (in pictures). I would find it hard to believe that AMC designed two separate units for the same purpose but anything is possible (especially with AMC).

YJ units are still available from the dealer, as there was a recall on them, and some of them still pop up here and there, We've done at least two of them on YJ's this year at my dealer. They are VERY similar, and I would think that if you had enough injenuity you could bolt it up one way or another and make it work. Ive kept one of the recalled brake assy's just for this purpose, but havent looked at them side by side to see really how similar they are. Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Thanks for the heads up. Any way you could post a picture of the YJ one next to MJ or do you not have an unmounted MJ unit?

Thanks for the heads up. Any way you could post a picture of the YJ one next to MJ or do you not have an unmounted MJ unit?

I don't have an unmounted MJ one, sorry, If I did, I'd do it for you. And I won't have access to the YJ one till Monday, as its under my workbench at work. Let me know if you still want some pics.

I have an MJ 1 laying in my garage. i can snap a pic for ya tomorrow if ya like?

Please do! A couple close up's of the gearing would be good too. Ahh the luxury of 2010 wrenching, when you can look at pictures, order online, and THEN go out in the freezing cold to install.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a really good low miles one from an automatic so I am getting ready to swap that into my Jeep this week. Once that is complete I am going to try and rebuild the original unit. I will post back my results as soon as I can. Until then if anyone has pictures of YJ components that will help the process along.

• 4 years later...

dasbulliwagen: I'd be willing to remove my pedal assy. and ship it to you so you can see them side by side and snap some pictures.  I need to get something together and I simply don't have the time to go through the research.  Thoughts?

I did see that rebuild thread but I figured this would be the simpler and less time consuming route. If its doable..

+1

I'd much rather have something NEW in this department.  Having a failed parking brake roll you into traffic or injure someone is real sucky.  Not that new parts never fail but yea...

That is an MJ unit. When I got my MJ, mine didn't stay down either. I looked into getting a YJ model, I don't remember the details but I know it would not have fit without a lot of adjusting. I simply decided to fix my MJ assembly. See my build thread for more info.

I think you're right. After comparing the mount design, they aren't looking very similar. I am starting to lean in the direction of rebuilding my mj assembly.

I am also thinking i could make something like this work under my dash. Thoughts?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/EHB-7000F/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710789581&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=230006180000848257&cadevice=c&gclid=CP3Lp4vwyMMCFVIV7AodEEwAUw