Anyone use front bumper for rear?

I did too. but still not in the way that you're thinking. MJs have a wider rearend than the front. my rear bumper measures 66" and the front 62".

I swear I once saw a photo of a guy that put an XJ front bumper on the back of his MJ, but I cannot find it. :dunno: I don't remember it fitting very well.

I swear I once saw a photo of a guy that put an XJ front bumper on the back of his MJ, but I cannot find it. :dunno: I don't remember it fitting very well.

One of the '2001 MJ' builders used 97+ rear end caps on an XJ bumper (rear, I'd guess), on an MJ.

(I think it also used a 97+ XJ hatch for the tailgate).

I know he had to plastic weld the caps to fit the longer 'tire to rear bumper distance' of an MJ,

I don't know if he was able to just space the caps further out on the bumper, or increase the width of the center section itself.

An MJ's rear bumper should be about 5" wider than the front.

Friend of mine in high school had an MJ, and used a front bumper as a roll pan of sorts. Looked decent. He cut it down to fit between the bedsides and tuck in under the tailgate. Even left the little bumper-ettes on... I'd do it if I needed to.

Rob L.

Thanks guys, I was thinking of using the front stock bumper on the rear. Seeing as how it is not wide enough that would look terrible. I just picked up a nice rust free Mj so I want it too look nice. I think I will just make a bumper similar to $500mj's without the D-rings because this truck will never be off road. The PO already fabbed up some heavy duty brackets that are bolted to the frame.

How about modifying a front MJ bumper to accept the license plate. I've seen this done on a TJ. Cut the front bumper in 2 in the center and add a large piece of angle wide enough to mount a license plate. Also add a couple of lights for the license plate. Looked as if it were a stock item. I'll try to locate the thread.

Don't know how to post pictures on this forum so here's the thread. This guy is an artist with this cutom design work. Check out the rear bumper on the back of his retro wrangler about half way down page 1. His threads are extremely long as he provides great detail. In one of his build threads he provided an easy to follow rear bumper build out of a front bumper.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gauch ... ld-709132/