KJ opinions

88pioneer

Looking at getting a KJ for a daily driver, and light wheeler. Just looking for peoples opinions on them, likes/dislikes. Looking at a freedom edition which I know is just an appearance package, with the 3.7. I've noticed there is somewhat of an aftermarket beginning to develop for these also. Any opinions are welcome, and any strengths an weaknesses would help too. Thanks in advance

:cheers:

agreed on the CRD. my bro's KJ only got 15mpg city.

they can take quite a hit in a rollover, though...and come out pretty darn decent.

my brother's has a 3 or 3.5" OME lift, 4.11 gears, 265/75r16's on round hole aftermarket steelies. I believe he's got a detroit full locker in the rear, there's a wrangler smittybuilt rear swingout bumper on it, and it looks kicka$$ with the renegade light bar.

he just rolled it on sunday...and it's fixable.

rest of the pics...

alignments suck on them, the lower a-arm sleeves freeze up in the caster/camber slots and don't adjust worth crap.

front drive shafts have a high failure rate and are, last i checked, non-serviceable and dealership only.

not impressed with the 3.7, although i do like the CRD.

i've seen a few with heater issues, and that requires pretty much pulling the dash.

properly moded, i'd love a CRD KJ...

They are a ton more solid then an XJ. People knock the 3.7, but never say why? I makes more HP than a 4.0 and better than or equal torque, even off idle. Many are approaching 200K without issue. Like many modern engines, ignoring oil changes will cost you. I think people forget that the KJ is about 1,000 pounds heavier than an XJ, but still gets better fuel mileage. I drive very aggressively and get 18 city/24 highway even lifted and with heavy e-rated mud terrains on steel rims. But mine is a stick. The structure is several times stiffer than an XJ, too.

Off-road they will go anywhere a similarly equipped XJ will go. I wheel with XJ's and this has been proven time and again by many KJ's. I have posts on here with pics and have vids. They are more limited mod-wise and a 32" tire is about the max. The seats wear quickly and the material shows stains. The window switches are on the center console.

CRD fans love them, but I would avoid them. They were a two-year experimint on an engine (italian made 2.8L inline 4) that was not legal in the US past 2006. They are not the CRD mercedes sourced V6 diesel form the Grand line. Although fans make the mods and then down-play them, they require several mods to be dependable. Go to a KJ site and see how many list the mods in sig lines and read the repair issue posts. They had serious and recurring tranny issues. Only 12,000 were sold and parts will probably be an issue eventually. they use a different front half-shaft and are limited on lift for for this reason.

I would buy mine again if I had it to do over.

They are a ton more solid then an XJ. People knock the 3.7, but never say why? I makes more HP than a 4.0 and better than or equal torque, even off idle. Many are approaching 200K without issue. Like many modern engines, ignoring oil changes will cost you. I think people forget that the KJ is about 1,000 pounds heavier than an XJ, but still gets better fuel mileage. I drive very aggressively and get 18 city/24 highway even lifted and with heavy e-rated mud terrains on steel rims. But mine is a stick. The structure is several times stiffer than an XJ, too.

Off-road they will go anywhere a similarly equipped XJ will go. I wheel with XJ's and this has been proven time and again by many KJ's.

Incommando,

how many XJ's have you owned?

A diesel would be nice but the 3.7 is a whole lot more common. I don't plan on keeping it for more than a year or a little longer. Once I get a fire fighting job it will most likely be gone. I was planning on doing a few mods to it but nothing crazy. I'm goin to look at it tomorrow an will take all your comments. Incommando, got any pics of your KJ. Pats brothers looks pretty nasty too.

:cheers:

I have often thought about getting a Patriot. I like the style, and the thought of a Jeep with AWD, and good mileage is appealing... And, like stated, the aftermarket is starting to accept them...

2006-Jeep-Patriot-SEMA-Concept-Rear-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

I would sooooo drive that. (Sorry for HUGE pic.)

Rob L. :drool:

I have often thought about getting a Patriot. I like the style, and the thought of a Jeep with AWD, and good mileage is appealing... And, like stated, the aftermarket is starting to accept them...

2006-Jeep-Patriot-SEMA-Concept-Rear-And-Side-1280x960.jpg

I would sooooo drive that. (Sorry for HUGE pic.)

Rob L. :drool:

Yep,

it does look great with those wheels, and in that color,

but the few that I see of them, the lines just don't look right to me.

I'd still think about picking one up someday,

if they ever turn into the cheap little used cars I'm hoping they will. :D

...An that rubber band transmission thing with no gears doesn't appeal at all

CVT's have bee around for years, and are a proven technology at this point.

Rob L.

yeah...in snowmobiles and atvs. and I replace my belts once per season due to wear...with under 2200 miles a season, on a good snow year.

sorry, I don't think they're a good idea in a road driven vehicle.

Rob L.

yeah...in snowmobiles and atvs. and I replace my belts once per season due to wear...with under 2200 miles a season, on a good snow year.

Too bad it's not ran on belts.

Rob L.

Rob L.

Too bad it's not ran on belts.

Rob L.

what's it ran on, then? bands? it's a primary and secondary assembly, correct?

Opinion: KJs, KKs, Patriots (MK74), ad nauseum are all designed to appeal to the soccer Moms and soccer Mom wannabes in my mind. None of them turn me on - at all. The various Grand ZJs, WJs don't either. They all look like they were created by imported Chinese 2500 design engineers. I haven't liked any newer Jeep stuff since the 01 XJ was canned and would never consider any of them. Freaking crossovers....

Just my humble opinion. :cheers: