KJ opinions

88pioneer

I did this obstacle right after my buddy in his higher lifted/bigger tired XJ:

More pics in a wheeling thread or two on here. i wheel the KJ regularly with two XJ's: it goes everywhere that the 4.5"/32x11.5 XJ pictured above goes despite having 31" tires and a smaller 2.5" lift. I cannot hope to keep up with my other buddies 6" Long Arm lift with locked 4.10's front and rear. It is a low-budget beast.

I have posted dozens of times over the net that the XJ is the best bang for wheeling. But if you think that weren't designed for soccor mom's and that the vast majority of original owners didn't use them as station wagons, you may not have been paying attention when they were new. I would buy a DD Xj for a DD/toy and almost did a month or so ago. The only XJ I owned was a 2-door and hauling kids in it was not optimal, so i flipped it. There is huge aftermarket support for them, and they are fairly cheap (as are MJ's) which lead to more modifications being affordable. But if you want to compare cherokees, the XJ was a huge step down from the original, and the '02-'07 cherokee (as it is called everywhere but N. America) is much closer to an XJ than the '84 XJ was to the SJ.

The XJ is a great vehicle considering it was designed 30 years ago. But just as the TJ is far more capable, and reliable, than the beloved CJ ( i have owned several CJ's), the KJ has numerous solid steps forward over the XJ, especially in the areas that sells new jeeps. Remember that jeep could not care less what people do with a 20 year old jeep they bought for $1,000 because they do not make a dime from them.

Maybe it's just me but every time I drive a KJ I feel that the a-pillar is right in my face; thus blocking my view quite badly. I just feel like I can't see anything in it.

-Adam

I agree with that point, its one of my things I do not like about the KJ. Overall I think visibility is worse than the XJ as well.

Thing is, one reason that pillar is as large as it is to strengthen the body during an impact, that larger a pillar means its going to be safer for the occupants.

I agree and fully understand why it is the way it is. With that said though... I'd gladly take more visibility out of it and sacrifice a bit of roof pillar strength than not have any visibility and be more likely to have an accident because of it.

Like I said it's personal preference and I just have a really hard time with the major blind spot upfront. They could of easily squared off the front windshield a bit more to give more visibility out of it (in my opinion).

They could of easily squared off the front windshield a bit more to give more visibility out of it (in my opinion).

I agree with that as well, and I think thats one of the issues that's address in the KK.

The other thing I think that could have been done differently is the a pillar plastic cover, I feel that that its-self cuts some of your visibility.

A couple of my other major grips that seem to have been corrected on the KK.

-Oh my gawd handles: None on the KJ, sure theres the pillar handle, but its useless for anyone over 5 feet tall. You either need it to be lifted massively, or be a small person to use it. Those a-pillar handles make sense on a fullsize truck, but on the KJ are just awkward.

-Door lock posts, maybe I'm the only person who sets my arm on the windowsill, or drapes it out the side during nice weather, but the door lock posts interfere with my elbow in an annoying way. It makes sense to have them sticking up on a vehicle with manual locks, but I've never found a KJ with manual locks, all auto. IMO it should have been done like a tab like on the XJ, or done is such a way that when they are locked they sit flush with the door panel.

Anyways, this topic has been beat to death before, and this is not even a KJ forum!

this topic has been beat to death before, and this is not even a KJ forum!

This KJ thread actually had some interesting tech in it,

and slightly less XJ obsession than usual.

I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 5 stars. ;) :cheers:

If you can drive a stick, an '05-'07 6spd KJ and gives you a 48:1 crawl ratio even with 3.55 gears. That is equal to an automatic TJ Rubicon. The 3.7 auto has a 26:1 crawl ratio with 3.73's. So the 6spd gets you vastly imporved off-road control and capabilty and improved on-road mileage. That is a win-win in my book.

The added bonus is that only the 6spd got the stronger 241 series transfer case. It is not the 4.0 low range 241OR of the TJ Rubicon, but the 2.72 low range version that Chevy even used in 1-ton trucks for some years. IMHO opinion it is the strongest tansfer case Jeep offered in the unibody rigs. It is not d300 or D20, but it is a solid upgrade over the 231.

the KJ and XJ are roughly the same size. The 25% weight gain of the KJ is almost entirely in platform strengthening points. If you have seen a rolled stock XJ and a rolled stock KJ you'd appreciate that a-pillar.

some pics from a KJ rolled

more pics can be found here

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=44151&start=20

I honestly doubt Jim would have survived that in an XJ. The roof staying up gave the boys enough time to get him out before he drowned. Much more roof collapse and he would have been in a bad way. Scary stuff. If folks go to the thread you will see pics off it back at the tow yard. It held up remarkably well.

In my opinion, and y'all can take that all with a grain of salt, based on my line of work repairing damaged vehicles the XJ and KJ fair pretty close to the same in a rollover (given the same exact conditions).

The added strength of the front pillar mostly ties into the front offset crash worthyness, XJ's are weak in that department.

His insurance covered it. He has another KJ now and 'wheels the snot out of it.

very cool. I figured it did. couldnt the other one be fixed? Didnt look all that bad. also glad towstrap was ok

Brandon