K&N Cone filter

So the last week I was up in south carolina last week for thanksgiving with my brother and his family. While there My brother gave me his old K&N Cone air filter. All I have is the filter. I have since cleaned and re oiled with a kit I bought at auto zone. Now all I need to do is put her in. any idea's on how to do this with out buying an intake kit? Here is a pic of what the filter looks like:

filter1.jpg

any advise will help. Thank you

Brandon

edit: the filter's hole can be clamped but not by much. and the hole is large in comparison to the stock intake.

You can get an 3" intake tube with grommet holes for the emissions (to make it legal).

One hose from front of valve cover, the other to vac supply.

They come in different lengths and 20 degree angle all the way to 90 degree angle. Auto Zone, cheap. The filter will not fit 3" ABS pipe because the 3" on ABS is inside diameter.

Like said above, $30 or so.

Dose the rustys intake tube have the One hose from front of valve cover, the other to vac supply? and what did you have to do to make the ford intake fit? any real hard core mod's? and what year did you use? do you know if there is a year range? btw I have the 4.0 I6. Thanks

Brandon

that hose from front of valve cover i ran into a old plastic bottle.

that way when it blows oil out you can pour it back in.

the vacuum line i think i blocked with a screw

then just put a piece of tubing between the filter and the rubber intake hose that went to the filter box

when i got a new engine i removed the bottle and just vent the stupid thing new engine does'nt have blow by yet.

most of the parts stores have tubing you can put in there.

what did you have to do to make the ford intake fit? any real hard core mod's? and what year did you use? do you know if there is a year range? btw I have the 4.0 I6. Thanks

Brandon

it clamped into place w/o any alteration other than a small slit in the filter end so it clamped down very tight. as to year, I do not remember any difference in the various units when I went to the scrap yard to get it

I've been running this system for about 5 yrs now, I do like the idea of using the alum tube or pvc the others have suggested, as it would be more stable --

i have a rusty's air tube on mine but ditched the K&N after 3k miles after finding dirt inside the air tube behind the filter....i run a AirRaid filter now.

Idk all i have heard is good things about K&N the only thing that has kept me away from them is the price. so we will see

I use the pre-filter cover on mine as we run in the desert quite abit

What do you mean by the Pre-filter cover? I thought you just laid them in the engine compartment? thats how ive always seen them :dunno:

Brandon

won't work because the stock hose is to small to try and clamp to the air filter. must have a different filter then me :dunno:

Brandon

here's some pics of the set up

sorry attempted to insert pics -- not sure why they would not go

here's some pics of the set up

sorry attempted to insert pics -- not sure why they would not go

hmmm, this is actually very disturbing. even if I try to edit packratt's post, the photos will not show. but if I quote him in my own post (and add the img tags), the photos do show. same with quoting people. its almost as if the features are turned off for you. :hmm:

packratt, send me a PM to remind me about this and I'll look into it later today.