• Ford 302
    • GM 3.8
    • Chevy 4.3
    • 4BT
    • VW TDI
    • Mopar 5.9
    • AMC V8
    • OTHER

So, I got my 1987 MJ, have done a 4WD swap, but I don't think I will ever be happy with the 2.5L/AX4 combo in it and plan on doing a drivetrain swap next summer.

I am torn between a lot of options....so I ask this:

What is your suggestion for a drivetrain swap to achieve the following:

Good torque

Good highway handling

decent mileage

COST (I am not a rich man, so it cannot be too wild)

Ease of install (I am not afraid of fab work, but I want easy wiring, simplicity of completion like a TBI system, I do NOT want carbureted).

The 4BT engine management simplicity does draw me, but it's finding one....

Then picking up an NV4500/Dana 300 to finish it off....I would expect the cost to get high.

I also have looked at the simplicity of a SBC with TBI, the availability and shear awesomeness of the Muncie tranny's (SM420/465)...the costs are much less, but I am concerned with too touchy a throttle, which the SM420 7.2:1 granny gear could help with.

SO, what are your thoughts? And don't just make a suggestion, if you can, tell me what you know about the swap.

Thanks

Jim

I'd go 4.0.

Simple install, many ready-made parts, good mileage.

4bt is a dream choice, but its a TALL engine.

5.0 or 350 are good, but you won't get the mileage as the 4.0, and erquires a lot more fab.

For simple swaps that meet your needs, 4.0 is the way to go.

Counterpoint: For the cost of the swap, you can go and buy a second, 4.0 MJ. So, if you are going to spend the $$$, go big with a V8 swap or just buy a second rig to torture yourself with thats factory 4.0.

I'd go 4.0.

Simple install, many ready-made parts, good mileage.

4bt is a dream choice, but its a TALL engine.

5.0 or 350 are good, but you won't get the mileage as the 4.0, and erquires a lot more fab.

For simple swaps that meet your needs, 4.0 is the way to go.

I only lean away from the 4.0 because I would have to do enough mods anyway, why not go bigger and better?

I only lean away from the 4.0 because I would have to do enough mods anyway, why not go bigger and better?

Per your needs:

Good torque

Good highway handling

decent mileage

COST

Ease of install

4.0 fits the bill perfectly. But as I said in my counterpoint... for the cost of the swap you can buy a 4.0 MJ

Good torque

Good highway handling

decent mileage

COST (I am not a rich man, so it cannot be too wild)

Ease of install (I am not afraid of fab work, but I want easy wiring, simplicity of completion like a TBI system, I do NOT want carbureted).

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

The definition of a 4.0L. That would be my choice.

GM 5.3L from early 00s model gm truck

hell of a motor (and i dislike GM) seen plenty of them with 200+k and never many problems, water pumps about the only thing that goes out and its a super easy repair.

oh! and the benefit of chevys stand-a-lone engine management that makes engine wiring pretty simple since its mostly separate from cab wiring.

i'd go with the 4.0 as well. the ease of the swap would outway any benefit from a sbc cubic inch issue in my book. if you look at a sbc, they don't put out as much as you may hope without some mods. making those mods in the swap you're considering will require alot of work to make them fit/work in you app. take a good look at the 4.0 and then check out the mods that can be made to get much more out of it. it will fit and hook up without a problem and get as much or more than a mild build on the sbc. the money you save from the fab work that will be required in the sbc could pay for alot of mods to a good 4.0. check into the mods that can be done on the 4.0 and i think you'll be happy with the output vs a sbc. add the weight issue to the front suspension in a sbc swap and you'll be happier with the 4.0.

by the way, i am a sbc man and have done a fair amountof mods to them. i have a suburban with a 350 and love it. i wouldn't put one in my jeep tho.

if you're really into a cool swap, just spend all the money on a supercharger and bolt it on for some fun.

just go with the 4.0 and enjoy. :thumbsup:

I am starting to think about keeping the 2.5, but doing an AX15 swap using a Dakota bellhousing and building a 231 doubler, 8.8 4:10 rear and regearing the front to 4:10. I know a lot of TJ/YJ guys with Dana 30 4:10 sets laying around.

I have a freind works in a fab shop, so we can probably make the doubler.

The 2.5 is not so much what I worry about. It is the strength of the AX4/5 for serious wheeling. The AX15 will put up with ANYTHING a 2.5 can throw at it.

I am looking mostly for durability and reliability, and if I gear the HECK out of my drivetrain, and upgrade it, I think I can do fine with fewer mods and less money spent.

Also, the 2.5 has only 79k miles and lots of life left in it.

Final Drive Ratio: Up to 115.75 to 1 on 33's :drool: And I would be at 65 MPH in 5th at 2150 RPM.

Thoughts?

our latest software update didn't go quite as smoothly as it should and the polls are one of the things that stopped functioning properly. :( hoping the next update will clear some stuff up.

TJ dana 30 gears will not work in MJ/XJ/YJ axles (low pinion vs high pinion). plus used gears are generally seen as a poor choice since trying to match up the old gear pattern is tough (meaning it could be pretty noisy).

unless you meant swapping in the entire axle, which will work. :thumbsup:

I am starting to think about keeping the 2.5, but doing an AX15 swap using a Dakota bellhousing and building a 231 doubler, 8.8 4.10 rear and regearing the front to 4.10. I know a lot of TJ/YJ guys with Dana 30 4.10 sets laying around.

Did you get a high pinion 30, or low pinion? YJ gears work in high pinion 30 axles, TJs are low pinion. They do not interchange.

Brett and Jeff? (JawzJPCustoms?)

I am starting to think about keeping the 2.5, but doing an AX15 swap using a Dakota bellhousing and building a 231 doubler, 8.8 4.10 rear and regearing the front to 4.10. I know a lot of TJ/YJ guys with Dana 30 4.10 sets laying around.

Did you get a high pinion 30, or low pinion? YJ gears work in high pinion 30 axles, TJs are low pinion. They do not interchange.

Brett and Jeff? (JawzJPCustoms?)

True enough on the D30...wasn't thinking.

And...no....

Sounds to me like you have nailed your best choice below - there is also a 4:1 transfer case out there. But you seem to have the low dollar way to solve your problem.

The 2.5 is not so much what I worry about. It is the strength of the AX4/5 for serious wheeling. The AX15 will put up with ANYTHING a 2.5 can throw at it.

I am looking mostly for durability and reliability, and if I gear the HECK out of my drivetrain, and upgrade it, I think I can do fine with fewer mods and less money spent.

Also, the 2.5 has only 79k miles and lots of life left in it.

Final Drive Ratio: Up to 115.75 to 1 on 33's :drool: And I would be at 65 MPH in 5th at 2150 RPM.

Thoughts?