Brake upgrade

Are there any upgraded braking components out there for my 89' 2wd? I can find some for 4wd, but not 2. I already know about the disc conversion on the rear. I'm mainly focused up front. Rotors, calipers, etc. Preferably new, not from any other type of vehicle. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.

I installed a dual diaphram booster on my 88 Comanche from a 96 cherokee, what a difference that made. That was the most effective upgrade I have ever done on that vehicle. Even at 75mph you can jump on those brakes and it will stop in short order, the stock rear proportioning valve works well too! There are some real nice writeups on this upgrade, try to run a search. Here is a good writeup, http://www.madxj.com/default.htm.

If you plan to stay 2wd, get some 2wd WJ Grand Cherokee knuckes,(though I think they are the same part as the 4wd) and install the proper unit bearings, and redrill the rotors for the proper bolt pattern as is shown in the attached link. There is ongoing debate in this thread wheather or not a spacer is needed, but if you stay 2wd, it will not be an issue for you. Youll have bigger better brakes, and they say with some very minor clearancing your 15 inch rims will still work. I have subscribed to this thread because I have a set of WJ knuckles sitting waiting for a new home on my MJ. Also, I think the original XJ steering can still be used even though the WJ knuckle has a spot for high steer hookup. New steering rods would have be be bought or made to run a WJ style steering. Good luck.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1047410

I just came across a rolled 96 Cherokee and am going to pull the booster/mc for the swap. Also getting the center console too :thumbsup: . My question is will the pedal and support bracket bolt in up place of mine so I don't have to mess with different rod bolt and brake light switch bracket isssues? Both vehicles are auto so I figure I can use the 96 brake switch and adapt to my harness. What do you think?

If you plan to stay 2wd, get some 2wd WJ Grand Cherokee knuckes,(though I think they are the same part as the 4wd) and install the proper unit bearings, and redrill the rotors for the proper bolt pattern as is shown in the attached link. There is ongoing debate in this thread wheather or not a spacer is needed, but if you stay 2wd, it will not be an issue for you. Youll have bigger better brakes, and they say with some very minor clearancing your 15 inch rims will still work. I have subscribed to this thread because I have a set of WJ knuckles sitting waiting for a new home on my MJ. Also, I think the original XJ steering can still be used even though the WJ knuckle has a spot for high steer hookup. New steering rods would have be be bought or made to run a WJ style steering. Good luck.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1047410

This. :yes:

The 96 booster will require a .250"/.260" spacer to stand the booster out from the firewall. I used phenolic to help dampen noise, aluminum will work as well. The angle of the 96 booster brings the new push rod to the ideal position for the stock 88 pedal on my Comanche. I had to open the diameter of the hole on the push rod to ~.634" for my brake light switch to work. Fab up a couple of brake lines and you are ready to go.

I just came across a rolled 96 Cherokee and am going to pull the booster/mc for the swap. Also getting the center console too :thumbsup: . My question is will the pedal and support bracket bolt in up place of mine so I don't have to mess with different rod bolt and brake light switch bracket isssues? Both vehicles are auto so I figure I can use the 96 brake switch and adapt to my harness. What do you think?

Would installing the 96 washer resevoir take care of clearance issues with the booster/mc? Any input on swapping out pedal support bracket?

The problem with switching the pedal support bracket is that on the auto MJ the shift cable is connected to the bracket. Because the XJ is a floor shift the bracket is different. So when I swapped for the 95-96 booster I also made the MJ a floor shift and then I could use the support bracket from the XJ with the newer style brake switch

The problem with switching the pedal support bracket is that on the auto MJ the shift cable is connected to the bracket. Because the XJ is a floor shift the bracket is different. So when I swapped for the 95-96 booster I also made the MJ a floor shift and then I could use the support bracket from the XJ with the newer style brake switch

Thanks, hadn't though about that. What about the 96 washer bottle?

Thanks, hadn't though about that. What about the 96 washer bottle?

If your talking about the washer bottle that mounts up inside the fender, Don (hornbrod) did a nice writeup on it.

here's the link:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5840

Yea, plan on doing that in the future but for now wondering if 96 bottle will work.

It'll work, but you'll have to drill new mounting holes for it as you would with a 91 washer bottle. It's tight. That's why I went with the 97+ bottle inside the fender well.

if you have an open cooling system, you can relocate the stock washer resivoir to the passenger side firewall above the HVAC blower motor. It fits there like it was almost made to be there in the first place......

Jeff

Image Not Found

or you can take the two out, remove the pedals from them, redrill the hole to use the '96 pedal, install it again, and put it in the mj bracket, then modify the push rod on the new booster to work with the renix brake switch...