Fuel pump replacement in 88 Comanche

It can be done with the tank in the truck, but I highly recommend dropping the tank, and setting it on the tailgate to do this. It ensures you get it to seal properly during re-install, and should be harder to destroy the lock ring when you're able to, you know, see what you're doing.

Also gives you a chance to check for sediment in the tank, change the 22 year old hose clamps on the fill neck, and inspect the vapor roll over valves. Popping one of those will also help you line up the return line rubber stopper when you're re-installing the sender.

It can be done with the tank in the truck, but I highly recommend dropping the tank, and setting it on the tailgate to do this. It ensures you get it to seal properly during re-install, and should be harder to destroy the lock ring when you're able to, you know, see what you're doing.

Also gives you a chance to check for sediment in the tank, change the 22 year old hose clamps on the fill neck, and inspect the vapor roll over valves. Popping one of those will also help you line up the return line rubber stopper when you're re-installing the sender.

I WISH I would have done this when I changed my fuel pump. I changed it without dropping the tank and it SUCKED.

I would definately recommend removing the tank. Next time my fuel pump goes out I'm going to convert to an external fuel pump. Thats something you might want to look into. But get a real external fuel pump, don't just rig up an internal fuel pump outside the tank.

I WISH I would have done this when I changed my fuel pump. I changed it without dropping the tank and it SUCKED.

Exactly why I recommend it. First time I did it, I also did not drop the tank. Spent probably 3 hours trying to get it to seat right, just to have to go an entire winter without being able to fill up past 3/4.

Next spring I dropped the tank, reset the sender, and hand the tank in, in less than half the time it took me the first time.

Not really on topic here, but what external fuel pump are you going to use, I have thought of the same thing if mine goes out again. As for leaving the tank in or removing it and replacing the fuel pump I have done it both ways and removing it is by far a better choice. It is easier to work on and while out you can check for other issues, the first time I pulled mine I found a hole where the P.O. had screwed a box to the floor of the bed and through the top of the tank. :doh:

I've done mine 4 times now, in the truck, I can change one out in about 20 minutes. My exhaust system has been butchered, I am 5'9" and weigh in about 145. I can sit up between the exhaust pipe and the tank, and look right at the pump, makes life really easy.

Thanks for the advice guys. Id like to look into an external pump as well. Rite now tho i finally had someone turn the ignition on while i was under the truck. I have no power to the wiring harness, so i need to get power back there first :dunno: crap

Not really on topic here, but what external fuel pump are you going to use, I have thought of the same thing if mine goes out again.

A buddy of mine has a sweet setup in his Cherokee. He mounted an external Bosch fuel pump under his rear seat. Now he can change the pump in 5 minutes. I will ask him for the part number. He said he could do the same on my MJ, but we'd have to find a good location for it.

Last year, I changed the fuel pump with out dropping the tank. Yeah, it was a PITA. And I didn't get the lockring back on right, so I leaked a lot of gas when I went to fill up. Had to drop the tank to do it right.

• 3 months later...
Not really on topic here, but what external fuel pump are you going to use, I have thought of the same thing if mine goes out again.

A buddy of mine has a sweet setup in his Cherokee. He mounted an external Bosch fuel pump under his rear seat. Now he can change the pump in 5 minutes. I will ask him for the part number. He said he could do the same on my MJ, but we'd have to find a good location for it.

Last year, I changed the fuel pump with out dropping the tank. Yeah, it was a PITA. And I didn't get the lockring back on right, so I leaked a lot of gas when I went to fill up. Had to drop the tank to do it right.

Ya ever get that part number ? it be a handy piece of info and a handy setup....

Ya ever get that part number ? it be a handy piece of info and a handy setup....

yeah and did he use oem fuel pressure regulator or aftermarket ?

external fuel pump ??,this is not a good idea ! volvo use this one ,a primer pump in the tank and main one outside !! oh yes what kind of fuel hoses you used for the MJ ? i hope 180 psi rated muti-fuel hoses ,yes, you will need 18'' of both 3/8 - 5/16 and 3.5 '' of this 5/16 180 psi for transfer hose -pump to out pipe .....the muti fuel 180 psi hose runs about 9.75 a foot ,don't use anything else or fuel leaks and fires !!!