Who knows about xj buckets in an mj?

IIRC you can use any year, but I'm pretty sure they are not a direct bolt in due to the difference in the bracketry. you will have to mod them a bit, but it shouldnt be too bad. pick ones that go well with ur interior and have fun with it

search around for bucket seats on here I'm sure you'll find more than i can tell you... all i know is that some of the seat options sit WAY high in the cab and others sit normal...

so do some homework before you just grab some cause if you're 6'3 and swap in powerbucket seats you're not gonna be comfy

-nick

i have XJ seats that my PO put in. so I'm not sure what they are from sorry.

As long as the XJ bracket is the straight style. Oh and I believe you need MJ bucket brackets to make it work..I could be wrong. I'm also pretty sure the seats have to be pre 95, which I also could be wrong again.

I'm in the middle of this swap and just located some seats (out of a 94) that i'll probably pick up later this week. I also have some mj bucket brakets waiting in my garage. I'll definetley get some pictures and notes posted once it's all said & done. Everyone talks about this mod but i haven't seen any real write up done about it.

I tried to swap seats from an xj with the curved brackets. Man was that a nightmare. Good news to hear that the straight ones will fit though. Does anybody know how easy it would be to mount cj seats on my mj brackets, cuz my boss has a pair out of his jeep and they're nice.

The only XJ buckets that will "bolt in" using your existing MJ brackets (bucket or bench) are 1994 and below. The 1995+ seats will not bolt in w/o mods. Even then, the 91-94 seats compared to the 1990 and below were slightly different but only in the seating heigth. These earlier seats were about 1/2" lower, but easily correctable with shims between the brackets and the floorpan.

• 4 weeks later...

re-viving this thread since i just took my buckets out for some troubleshooting.

took pics, these are the XJ curved seats on MJ bench brackets (or so it seems)

drivers side wouldnt go back far enough, something was blocking the track... so i took the brackkets off and viola! the screws holding the brackets were blocking the track, moved those, and i can stretch out now!

anyways, here's the pics.

looks like the PO did quite a bit of grinding/cutting to get the buckets off their origional brackets, but the seats sit in there nice.

they sit a little high in the cab, but as eagle or someone stated, the curved buckets DO sit higher than others in the cab... FYI mi 5'11" 3/4 and its not that bad, just hope i don't grow much more :brows:

BTW... does ANYONE know what the plastic adjuster handle big flat thingy ma-bob next to the seat adjuster does?

you can see it in the 2nd pic, not the metal handle that moves it f/b but the the big plastic one... i cannot figure out what it does.. or if it works even

thanks,

nick

Yeah, I have those same Laredo-trim seats in my MJ from a 2-door (so the seat back will tilt forward) but do not have the rocker option. Very rare. These Laredo trim seats w. the big side bolsters are much more comfortable than the base model seats IMHO. There are also two plastic trim pieces available that bolt on to on the two outside edges of the track. They conceal the track when you open the door, useless except to make it look a little better. Another thing I found out is that the bucket seat bottoms are interchangable so you can swap them around because the passenger seat bottom is usually a lot firmer. Only thing though is the inboard seat belt holder strap is now outboard. But I just installed two new ones I cut out of some raggedy XJ seat bottoms I found in the yard.

i tried, couldnt get it to rock at all... how is it supposed to move

VERY Comfy seats... my brother has the same oens minus the rocker option in his 1990 laredo XJ. i love the side bolsters, i can actually lean ont hem when i get lazy. jamminz.gif

EDIT: i do have the plastic side peices on the outsides.

and

what do yall think about chopping the brackets and re-welding them back together to drop the seat some... i would brace it with some extra steel not just weld the two halves back together, but is this abad idea? i knwo the brackets arent that common.

what do yall think about chopping the brackets and re-welding them back together to drop the seat some... i would brace it with some extra steel not just weld the two halves back together, but is this abad idea? i knwo the brackets arent that common.

If those brackets are staying in the truck, might as well cut em. Not like you'll end up selling them if you're keeping them.

If those brackets are staying in the truck, might as well cut em. Not like you'll end up selling them if you're keeping them.

not that worried about sellin em.. but i don't wanna fubar them and then not have seat brackets at ALL. cause that would be NO fun.

I have started investigating doing this too, so I was real happy to see this thread. From the previously posted picture of the seat brackets, it would appear that since I have a bench seat now, that I am going to have to find new brackets to go in it for the buckets...right??

yeah, the brackets that are on my seat in those pics are MJ bench brackets.

looks like the PO had to do some grinding on the rails and stuff in order to hook it all up right...

( I did not do the swap, bought the truck with XJ seats on my MJ brackets)

• 5 weeks later...

After doing the conversion, I don't think those brackets are from the bench seat as they are factory riveted to the rails. I used the brackets from the bench seat, but they only had rivets on one side. The MJ brackets are the same for the bench and bucket seats, but the bench only has one rail on each end of the seat.

I drilled the rivets first, then chiseled the rest of the top. The back brackets came off without too much trouble as the spot welds weren't that strong. The fronts left an extra hole where the spot welds were. To do again after prying the front brackets up, I should have used one of those small hacksaw blades.

The seats were from a 90 CJ four door. They fit fine, not much different in height, and more comfortable than the bench. Not easy to get stuff out from behind the seats. Seats from a two door would have been better in that respect.