Who knows about xj buckets in an mj?

i was like... a 1990 CJ 4 door? what is THIS guy smokin?

then i thouhg about it and figured it out :redX: not that much of a problem ;)

i've got 4door buckets and i can't complain about being able to get behind them, they may not flip down but i can scoot them up way far enough to get in there, and i can fit my acoustic guitar back there if i lean them up a little tiny bit.

I've got something to add to this discussion. Did anybody else happen to notice how hard it is to find seats in good condition? Especially driver's seats? Well, I was at 3 different U-pull-it yards and came up with zero 2-door XJ Laredo's and only two 2-doors at all. But, there were plenty of 4-door Laredos. As has been previously stated, the four door seats seem to work fine, you can still access that extra space, just not as easily. Anyways, on a whim, I intentionally bought two passenger seats from seperate XJ's with gray interior. The seats are in excellent shape because they rarely get sat in. The question you all are wondering is, "can I still use the lever to lean the seat forward?" The answer is yes. It a tight reach, I won't kid you, but it is doable. I for one, rarely adjust the angle of my driver's seat, so it's not really a problem. Just food for thought for anyone else having a hard time finding seats.

I've got something to add to this discussion. Did anybody else happen to notice how hard it is to find seats in good condition? Especially driver's seats? Well, I was at 3 different U-pull-it yards and came up with zero 2-door XJ Laredo's and only two 2-doors at all. But, there were plenty of 4-door Laredos. As has been previously stated, the four door seats seem to work fine, you can still access that extra space, just not as easily. Anyways, on a whim, I intentionally bought two passenger seats from seperate XJ's with gray interior. The seats are in excellent shape because they rarely get sat in. The question you all are wondering is, "can I still use the lever to lean the seat forward?" The answer is yes. It a tight reach, I won't kid you, but it is doable. I for one, rarely adjust the angle of my driver's seat, so it's not really a problem. Just food for thought for anyone else having a hard time finding seats.

Yes, it's very tough to find decent Laredo trim seats from a 2-door XJ. They just didn't make that many 2-doors. I like the bigger side bolsters on these seats - much more comfortable. Until I recently did find a good 2-door pair, I also used two passenger side seats from a 4-door. I found that the passenger seat did lean towards the door slightly using it on the drivers side, but was easily correctable by using a couple of shim washers on the two outboard mounting studs. But it sure is nicer now that I can flick the lever and move the seat back forward to access my junk. Car-Parts.com is a great source of parts.

• 2 weeks later...

I put seats with the curved "rocker action" into my mj. when i did it, I noticed that they were a little further outward than I would have liked, so I re-drilled the holes on the mj brackets about 1/4 inch inwards, then welded them up and bolted it all back in. works like a charm they DO sit high, but i like it alot more that way. more leg room, and with no sagging headliner headroom isn't a problem.

put the same seats in my bro's 88 mj too, same way. worked great. problem with his is that the 1200 watt dual sub-ed sub box he built is too darned thick. so now head room is a non-issue, but leg-room is. he needs to cut it down in thickness by about 3 inches. problem with that is he made the box take up the whole back wall, recessed and mounted the amp. in it, and made each sub it's own air-tight chamber inside. sounds great, looks great, but cutting it down is gonna be hell.

I am going to be swapping in mt TJ's buckets to the MJ. I THINK I have the XJ curved bases...not entirely sure... :cry:

I will want to get them as lo as I can to factory height.

As I say I have the XJ curved or rocker seats and bases and because of my size, I find them too high. I have been dealing since the install as they are super comfy once seated. Its getting in with out hitting your head and my inability to wear my hat inside the MJ...

I am going to have to hack and chop the XJ bases to get what I want...

CW

I'm 6'1" and i find that the curved seats i have work great. the ones in m y bro's truck are really a non-issue....for him. he's 5'7" and his gf is even shorter so...

but i like them. i don't wear a hat though so i'm all set. i did notice that the sun visors are kinda in the way when they're down now :(

I'm 6'1" and i find that the curved seats i have work great. the ones in m y bro's truck are really a non-issue....for him. he's 5'7" and his gf is even shorter so...

but i like them. i don't wear a hat though so i'm all set. i did notice that the sun visors are kinda in the way when they're down now :(

my main problem is gauges, no-tilt wheel + higher seats meant for me that i have to bend a little to view the temp and stuff.

not an issue that much per-say, and i've gotten used to it. i LOVE my buckets.

(but it would be nice to have the girl sittin RIGHT beside me.)

my main problem is gauges, no-tilt wheel + higher seats meant for me that i have to bend a little to view the temp and stuff.

not an issue that much per-say, and i've gotten used to it. i LOVE my buckets.

(but it would be nice to have the girl sittin RIGHT beside me.)

so to solve that problem, use the bench center console and put a fold down arm rest/seat out of some other vehicle in it :P then show that pretty lady what jeeps are all about:P

..and put a tilt wheel in it. that's fairly simple and those types of parts are simply worthless to most junkyards...so probably cheap.

• 2 months later...

Bring this thread back to the top...

I just started on the install of my XJ buckets in the MJ. I have a nice set of 2-dr XJ Curved seats and a set of MJ brackets.

After doing a little head scratching.. I realized that I couldn't just swap the brackets. As the tops of the sliders, (where the seat frame sits) are different. I had thought I could get away with just swapping the XJ slider and brackets for the MJ one by just un-bolting the two. Had I known I had to do some fabbing on these, I wouldnt have bought the MJ brackets, I would have just used my MJ Bench brackets... Bad lesson learned I guess...

So with that said, I would just swap the lower brackets. Started on the drivers side first (as I needed it to mock up for fitment of the patch panel I made to cover the whole I cut to fit my 2nd transfer case). After very carefully cutting and pounding the rivets out. I swapped the brackets and bolted them back up.

So I am using an XJ cuverd seat Slider on MJ brackets. Now granted I don't have the inner back bracket bolted (AS I had to cut it out to fit the t/case), but these seats sit way offcenter to the inside of the truck. And almost slightly twisted so I am more facing towards the a-piller than straight through. Its almost like the steering wheel is over my left thigh... Where did I go wrong?...

This is completely opposite to what JeepcoMJ experianced. His were too far outwards... Mine are too far inwards....

Could someone be so kind and measure the distance from the side of the seat to the inside door panel?.. That is my only reference... As I used to be able to store a 1Litre pop beside me on the bench seat, held there by the door. Now I could probably fit a keg, but a 2Litre for sure...

HELP... Before I get frustrated and start cutting a welding!!!....

Thanks,

Ryan

mine were exactly like that. too far inwards. the ones in my brother's truck are too far forward...he's got a HUGE sub box behind his seats

I spaced mine i think 1/5 or 3/4 inch to the outside by redrilling the holes on the lower brackets then bolting them back down. easy as pie...but I welded them as well once I was sure I liked where they were.

i just put XJ buckets in my MJ last week and they went in without a problem.

i got a spare MJ bench seat and took the lower bracket pedistals off and tossed the seat then removed the pedistals off the buckets...used some 1/4" bolts and nuts to put them together and viola...mounted them in the truck and they sat perfectly centered then installed my XJ center console

there are a few different types of xj seats. if his are basic and just slide, they'd go in just fine.

from what I understand, yours swivel as well? mine do....and they were off just as yours were. must be a difference in mounting.