Lowering a Comanche for racing...leaf springs?

Prepping a Comanche for on-road competition. Archer brothers used custom made fiberglass rear mono-leafs made by Flex-Form....but I am trying to do this on the cheap.

I was wondering if anyone knows what other vehicles use similar dimension rear leafs?

Ideally what I would really like to do is try and fit some Chevy Astra / GMC Safari fiberglass rear leafs back there, for the weight savings and lowering; they are often discarded for steel units.

I don't want to go with lowering blocks for obvious reasons. Thanks!

IIRC, older Full Sized Cherokee leafs are the same length, but less arch.

How much are you looking to drop?

If that doesn't work, or you can't find them, what about taking the MJ springs apart and substituting XJ leaves for everything other than the main leaf? The XJ springs have less arch because they are desigigned to ride basically flat at curb weight.

You might also want to look into Ford Explorer sport 2 door rear leaf springs. They are a fiberglass mono leaf and measure almost the same. MJ leaf is 26" + 31" (measured from front eye to center + center to rear eye), Explorer is 25 11/16" +31". I'm not sure how the arch compares though.

Looking to drop it as low as possible while keeping the front level or at a slight rake. I am removing the 4x4 system and swapping out the Dana 30, so I will be bringing it all down as low as I can, going to run 15" rims and low profile tires.

Didnt know that about the Fords coming with fiberglass leafs.....that might be the way to go!

I know you asked about the rear, but what all are you doing in the front? If you're simply switching the 4wd axle to the 2wd beam, you won't net any drop at all. You will have to switch coils as well. As for the rear, yes, older mid 80's FSJ Grand Waggy leafs have been shown to be bolt in with minor mods possibly being needed, such as the bushing bolt holes might not be the same size. Easy fix would be new bushings with correct diameter bolt holes.

If you want a bit of inspiration and ideas, I (well, Jeepco) happen to be lowering my 88. Just click on 'Baby' in my sig.

Thanks....I am cutting the coils down, that part is easy :D

Nonononononono. No.

Get different coils.

How come? Cutting the coils down will increase the stiffness and give me the ride height I need and its free!

For my lowered 86 XJ I had custom coils wound for me, but money was no object back then for that project.

How much drop do you want? If you use the rear coils out of a ZJ it should be good for about 2" of drop... I think. Can someone verify this?

Dunno yet, as low as I can go without hitting the pan and still having some room for suspension travel on a road course.

ZJ rears dropped beaterjeep's 2.5 a little more than 2" I believe, should drop a 4.0 even more.

How much drop do you want? If you use the rear coils out of a ZJ it should be good for about 2" of drop... I think. Can someone verify this?

Dunno yet, as low as I can go without hitting the pan and still having some room for suspension travel on a road course.

The ZJ rear coils netted an initial 2" drop, yes. They have settled to about 3" with the old 2.5L in it. Since then, it has a new front axle ready to go in, which has had the coil buckets modified for anouther 1/2" or so drop. Add in the weight of the new 4.0L going in, and Jeepco and I figure it to be about 4" total drop, which is perfect as it will not interfere with the oil pan, and still leave enough room for travel when bumpstopped properly.

it will be closer to a 3.5" drop when I'm done with it...because measurements show that there will only be 2" up travel if I go down to 4"..and the upper control arm mounts will contact the motor mounts when it's driven at anything that can flex the front axle.

bumpstops will be our friend, and air shocks should be too. wish I could get some air bags for joe, but I just can't spend that kind of cash.

Here goes the worst opinion in the club , scrap the the whole leaf spring idea and 4 link the rear , the front I would put ZJ coils shaved to preference . Having a bucket of water to keep the springs from getting hot would be a good idea . Try to get new springs , my Caprice bottoms out because who ever cut the springs did it with old parts .

Here goes the worst opinion in the club , scrap the the whole leaf spring idea and 4 link the rear , the front I would put ZJ coils shaved to preference . Having a bucket of water to keep the springs from getting hot would be a good idea . Try to get new springs , my Caprice bottoms out because who ever cut the springs did it with old parts .

Just to be more specific, ZJ REAR springs.