project 1988 Pioneer My first project

The jeep is a 1988 pioneer with a 4.0L and a puegot 5speed

Well here is a picture of before i started last January 2010

here is the first real work i did to it, as i got going i noticed the bottom was completely nasty from years of an oil leak, the PO claimed he fixed it. so i washed the crap out of it

Then i tore the carpets up and was unpleasantly surprised here is the DS :mad:

And the PS

The Passenger side wasn't very bad but the drivers side needed some serious attention so i cut out all of what I couldn't save and welded in a patch panel

and then used POR 15 to hopefully prevent it from happening again

that is all I can post now more to come later :thumbsup:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, after the floor was done i finally closed a deal on a parts jeep.

here it is the night i brought it home

here it is the next morning, it is an 86 long bed, even though I think there only was longbeds in 86

it has the gm engine in it a 35 outback and a 30 upfront and 410s

i ended up taking the sheet metal off to replace all the rusty stuff on the 88

I sanded the fenders and gave them a coat of primer

as always more to come :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

don't trash the other comanche find a cherokee for a parts jeep and give the me long bed lol :headpop:

Sorry its much to late for that :( , and the bed was beat to sh*t and almost completely rusted through

next time ill ask you first though ok ;)

well after i got the fenders on i reworked the front header and ended with 3 screws in my hand... oh well :dunno:

then i started to fix the bed, this is just a trail-rig so it didn't have to be perfect but it was a good time to learn how to weld sheet-metal and play with Bondo. behind the flares was some serious rust so i cut it out and tried to fix it.

i was also working on choosing a final color so that is why it isn't white.

sorry about the blurryness its a phone, as always more to come :thumbsup:

after priming the truck i got sick of painting and more importantly sanding so I went to work on my lift and axles. So i found a dana 44 for a JY and brought it home, I then decided to take the cheap way out and take the front axle out of my parts truck because it had 4:10s in it and then just regear one axle.

here i am taking it out

and there it sits, i then decided to take the bed off the frame to swap the rear-end in and paint the back of the cab

that is all i can post for now...

more to come :thumbsup:

well as soon as i got the bed off i decided to start working on the dana 44 I got

I re-geared it to match the front end out of the 86(the black Jeep)

I also welded up the spiders so it is fully locked all the time!

I used this sweet new toy :D

I also put new bearing on the shafts

i had it all back together, then it was time to install it under the jeep. this axle came out of a cherokee so the first thing i did was cut off all the old brackets

here the jeep sets with no rearend :(

i then ordered some new perches and set it under it

then i burned the welds in and bed lined it

that's all for now, more to come :thumbsup:

Cool! :cheers:

You regeared the Axle yourself in your garage? How was that?

Truck is coming along great, ill be watching :thumbsup:

Yes i did!, it was harder then i thought it would be I probably put the carrier in and out maybe 20 times... I made set up bearings out of the old bearings in it so I didn't damage the carrier or the pinion. the only thing you really need is a dial indicator to check the backlash. when it was all done there was no howling and the tooth pattern was perfect.

jamminz.gif

well i after i got the axle under the jeep I decided to order shocks...

so i put them on and then painted the mounts green

then I assembled the axle

then I turned 18 on the 11th of august and my dad gave me this( i welded it myself)

I then put it on

Thats all I have for now

More to Come :thumbsup:

Well with the rear end all taken care of i decided to tear into the front end so i figured i got about 6.5 inches of lift in the rear so i would mach it up front. so i called up rompalicious 4x4 because there price was the best.

i went with a Rock Krawler kit but upon receiving it i was missing one of the lower control arms. on the UPS website it said it was lost during shipping and was "under investigation" :fs1: so I called up Rompalicious and they shipped me a new one over night at UPS expense :D so i started painting them that same green

I then started to put it on, I was so excited that I didnt take many pictures :( but i took a few

The process of removing the lower control arm mount was extremely more tedious then on a cherokee so much extra bracing :eek: I guess that is what make a comanche better :D

so i got the control arms mounted and realized i was missing the trackbar drop bracket it was supposed to be in one of the seven boxes it wasn't... so i called up Rompalicious they talked to rock krawler and they said that it was in the box and I missed it. nothing like being talked to like i am 12 so I told them why would I want 2 of one bracket? after that they went up to bat for me and I got the bracket in 2 days at there expense. So even though rock krawlers kit was incomplete Rompalicious did right by me and fast that was great service. I would recomend them jamminz.gif

well enough rambling back to the jeep this was what i looked like after getting the axle mounted

there it sits more to come really soon

:thumbsup:

Okay so the lift was on and then the problems because of kit i chose my cross member was all out of wack. this is because the puegot trannys X-member is about 6 inches farther a head then the AX15 or the Aw 4, so i did what any good engineering student would do and let some one who knew what they were doing look at it and then take credit :D But in all seriousness i decided i was going to use a 2000 jeep cherokee stock X-member that i had sitting around from lifting my friends jeep; i welded it onto mine to bridge the gap.

cutting into the crossmember was a really hard :wall: but after it was done i started adding support

the welds aren't gorgeous but there is penetration and no one is ever gonna see it

Ok we are rapidly approaching where i currently am with this jeep everything up to now has been stuff I have done in the past 9 months so here we go

I noticed my shocks were limiting up travel so i fabbed up these

they are just a chunk of quarter wall rectangular that i cut up with a torch and drilled some holes through. I mounted them to the lower control arm using the factory hardware and two BEEFY tack welds

I then decided to get the bed back on; so I started by washing the frame it was so nasty. I then scuffed and wiped the section down and bed lined it

so i let it dry, I then repeated the process with the bottom of the bed

I bed lined the bottom with

and then the side and wheel wells with canned bed liner.

As always more to come :thumbsup:

couple things for you...

the LCA mounts aren't that thick. weld plate from your old shock mount/coil bucket area to the LCA mount.

next thing....you probably don't realize this, but the holes are already there to just move the crossmember to the proper location. modifying it was completely unnecessary.

couple things for you...

the LCA mounts aren't that thick. weld plate from your old shock mount/coil bucket area to the LCA mount.

next thing....you probably don't realize this, but the holes are already there to just move the crossmember to the proper location. modifying it was completely unnecessary.

Yes LCA mounts aren't very strong, I also welded it to the axle, it will hold the shock.

The original mount wouldn't work with the lower control arm mounts so I had to either move the cross member or move the transmission back so the rock krawler kit was not designed to work with the puegot transmission. the lca mounts slide completely over the frame where the cross member bolted I couldn't just mount it below because the bracket was in the way!

that makes sense.

but why on God's green earth are you running a Rock Crawler control arm/longarm setup?

Why not?

their mounting system is pretty week, and the control arms don't look too beefy.

well I believe that the links are solid and there mounts are welded to the frame and are solid, I think they will hold...

well i decided to paint the back of the cab and the front of the bed so i preped it

then i primed it

then painted it i decided to paint the truck olive drap

then I put the bed back on

and it turned out looking great...