Does this make any else's blood boil?

Sir Sam

that is bs for real. man, don't you love what america is coming to. and whats funny is they spend all this time just to bust a pot head. why not go after meth cookers, coke dealers, you know, something that really is BAD. ill be sure to put up my no trespassing signs :smart:

They way I see it - Don't do anything illegal and you won't have to worry about being tracked. 8)

Bull$#!&.

So you wouldn't mind me coming and putting a GPS tracking device in your vehicles right now?

If you don't do anything illegal you don't have anything to be worried about - oh wait, you didn't stop for 3 seconds at that stop sign. Here I'll just send you can that ticket now.

Oh wait, looks like you just speed 5 over in a construction zone, WOW thats a triple fine, don't worry we are taking it right out of your paycheck - oh wait, you still owe us a little.

Maybe thats a little bit of an exaggeration, but the fact still remains, the logic that as long as your not doing anything illegal its fine is crap.

The point is, I AM NOT doing anything illegal, therefor you have no reason to intrude in my life. It is my home, it is my property, you have NO RIGHT to enter my home to check and see if I am doing anything illegal. Such actions would typically be associated with a police state.

With that kind of attitude you might as well encourage a new Gestapo to come into your home at any hour of the day rifle through all your things, and make sure you have nothing illegal or are doing nothing illegal.

It sucks. And another thing all these surveillance cameras along the expressway and now just about every intersection on city streets. I'm tired of big brother watching me. The other day I was riding my motorcycle and got some weird pleasure flipping off every one I passed. All 30+ of them that I saw. It's just plain creepy. Also what are these devices with little antennas and a solar panel going into a box and no camera? WIFI? My computer doesn't think so. Maybe WIFI at a special frequency that only certain people can use?

Ha. I knew I'd ruffle someone's feathers.

I'm saying that as long as you're not doing something illegal, nobody is going to be putting a tracking device on your vehicle. Quite different from what you're saying.

Yes, it would be wrong if a tracking device was placed on every single vehicle on the road. But that's not what's happening.

I'm saying that as long as you're not doing something illegal, nobody is going to be putting a tracking device on your vehicle. Quite different from what you're saying..

No, I don't think your getting it.

This is saying that regardless of your criminal activity they can put it on your vehicle at will, whenever they want, without a warrant.

It is also saying that just because your on your own property you cannot have an "expectation of privacy."

I'm saying that as long as you're not doing something illegal, nobody is going to be putting a tracking device on your vehicle. Quite different from what you're saying..

This is saying that regardless of your criminal activity they can put it on your vehicle at will, whenever they want, without a warrant.

It is also saying that just because your on your own property you cannot have an "expectation of privacy."

You're not getting what I'm saying. They can come put a tracking device on my truck whenever they want. But it would be a waste of money to do so, and it would be a waste of time to track said device. For these reasons, plus the fact that I am not involved in any illegal activities, nobody is going to be putting a device on my truck any time soon. Nobody cares who I am and where I go. The trackers would get bored really fast.

If authorities want to put a tracking device on the vehicle of a suspected criminal, I see no problem with that. As long as you abide by the law, nobody is going to take the time or expense to track you.

You're not getting what I'm saying. They can come put a tracking device on my truck whenever they want. But it would be a waste of money to do so, and it would be a waste of time to track said device. For these reasons, plus the fact that I am not involved in any illegal activities, nobody is going to be putting a device on my truck any time soon. Nobody cares who I am and where I go. The trackers would get bored really fast.

If authorities want to put a tracking device on the vehicle of a suspected criminal, I see no problem with that. As long as you abide by the law, nobody is going to take the time or expense to track you.

Yarg!

Nobody cares who I am and where I go, however I reserve the right to do so with impunity.

Yes, even though your not doing anything, you probably won't get tracked like this, BUT you could. If this sets a precedent it means that in the future the police could randomly track you just to see if your doing anything wrong.

Again, just because your not doing anything wrong doesn't mean it right for them to invade your privacy and property.

You probably wouldn't care if you were forced to wear a recording device all the time to make sure you never spoke a revolutionary word, you probably wouldn't mind the secret police to abduct family members in the middle of the night to interrogate them about who they know to have anti-government sentiments.

The point here is that this is being done without a warrant. Part of the process of getting a warrant is to ensure the rights of the people are not trodden on and abused. When such a check is removed from the system the potential for it to be abused by those with power is greatly increased. The police state of the former east german DDR comes to mind.

To paraphrase a famous quotation "when the rights of the few are abused, the rights of all are abused."

Maybe I'm naive (at my old age). But I'm also not paranoid.

Don't get frustrated. It's just a friendly conversation.

I'm not frustrated, I'm mad(and not at you). Will be watching this case as it progresses.

Plus, it's only paranoia if their not really after you.

Unfortunately their is next to nothing we can do.

I think that mentality is the kind of thing that allows things like this to happen.

This thread is long on righteous indignation and short on alternatives.

If your yard is open to the public for access with no signage or barriers most states hold that anyone can enter & remain unless told to leave. There is a solid discussion point to begin with...

I hate what this country has turned into. Unfortunately their is next to nothing we can do.

vote.

:agree:

Brandon

you really think that matters anymore. this country has gone by the once mighty dollar since as long as i cared to remember. peoples (aka companies) pockets don't get fatter by putting the wrong guy in the whitehouse.

I hate to be this guy on here....

Although I am a strong believer in voting and the people having the ability to change the country. I feel the way our current government is setup individual votes to not affect final decisions in law making.

But hey I'm not here to talk politics and I'm not trying to start any sort of arguments.

If your yard is open to the public for access with no signage or barriers most states hold that anyone can enter & remain unless told to leave. There is a solid discussion point to begin with...

HEHE, I was wondering how long until we came together in a discussion here after they banned you on LOST. Seems like all sorts of $#!& went down there while I was on vacation.

That's another point as well - "Expectation of Privacy"

Basically they said since it was the front yard there was not an expectation of privacy, and then we get into a grey area.

I remember a case from 4-5 years ago where a stolen vehicle was parked in a driveway, you can just walk up to it and read off the vin numbers without touching anything and just looking in the window. I seem to remember the outcome was that since it was public and there was not an expectation of privacy that a warrant was not needed to read the vin number.

The same logic applies to reading a license plate(though you need not even enter someone's property to read a plate number.

The question is does that cross over to placing a tracking device to watch where someone goes all the time.

What if that vehicle then entered an area such as a privately fenced and marked property - the tracking would continue, then you could make the argument that a reasonable expectation of privacy existed - yet the tracking would continue(though it would be reasonable to allow any evidence recorded via observation on a public street to and from such property).