The American Motors Corporation's truck's . . .

AMC-MJ

Drove by 5 Worcester police cruisers and a statey, got no reaction from most, wasn't pulled over or lit up by any of them.

Most cops *Hate* to operate outside of their comfort zone.

They'll grab the tint meter at the beginning of their shift, and look for ricers with blacked out windows,

or go after the guys with covered license plates, equipment issues, etc,

but steer clear of stuff they don't know (IE: big asses military trucks :yes: ).

I'd be more worried about seeing a Statey who'se used to dealing with big rigs,

he knows the rules for them, and may try to bring you (assuming non-commercial use for your truck) into compliance with their rules.

I'd also worry about the out of state temp plates,

I don't know all the rules for those, but the way the insurance/registration laws are written in Mass, I'm sure there's something they could complain about.

Good luck man,

I haven't been to any Jeep or car shows this year yet, but if you end up bringing that thing to one, let me know, I'd really like to see it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove by 5 Worcester police cruisers and a statey, got no reaction from most, wasn't pulled over or lit up by any of them.

Most cops *Hate* to operate outside of their comfort zone.

They'll grab the tint meter at the beginning of their shift, and look for ricers with blacked out windows,

or go after the guys with covered license plates, equipment issues, etc,

but steer clear of stuff they don't know (IE: big asses military trucks :yes: ).

I'd be more worried about seeing a Statey who'se used to dealing with big rigs,

he knows the rules for them, and may try to bring you (assuming non-commercial use for your truck) into compliance with their rules.

I'd also worry about the out of state temp plates,

I don't know all the rules for those, but the way the insurance/registration laws are written in Mass, I'm sure there's something they could complain about.

Good luck man,

I haven't been to any Jeep or car shows this year yet, but if you end up bringing that thing to one, let me know, I'd really like to see it. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Assuming it stops looking like it'll rain by 3pm or so, I'm bringing it to the Foxboro car show tonight actually. A couple of NAXJA guys usually show up with the XJs and park on each other's tires, no one else in the lot has any idea how to respond to that. Assuming I can manage to get it into the lot without running anything over, it will be there, and they will be attempting to park on 42" tires.

EDIT: and yeah... out of state temp plates worry me a bit. I need to talk to my insurance co today and see what they think about registering/insuring it.

EDIT2: seeing as the sky is nearly black and it is dumping rain at garden-hose rates, I did not go.

Yeah but I didn't feel like going swimming on the highway again :rotf:

I did that for 3-4 hours Saturday night/Sunday morning, and another few hours Sunday around noon. It was enough automotive bathing for a lifetime.

I was bord and bumming around on you tube and I watch your truck with the 6cylinder gas engine walk a sled on the track to a full pull or rather a couple yards further.

Lots of power ! The M5? Series had . . .

Mike

Nice! I haven't moved anything other than myself and a 5 gallon jerry can of diesel yet.

Fixed the parking brake last night, just needed adjustment at the brake shoe bellcrank end. I LOVE not having to worry about whether a fastener is metric or SAE! jamminz.gif

Drove it to work this morning just because I felt like it, here it is in the parking lot at Intel Hudson, in the 3 spaces next to a blue prius:

20100806092156.th.jpg

(click for big)

Looks good, Ya gotta love American trucks, oh a bit of tip for winter starts mix your fuel.

10:1 Diesel / Gasoline. 1 gallon of gas per 10 gallons of diesel, yes even if its winter blend.

Mike

Thanks for the tip on fuel blending - hopefully I'll be running waste motor oil by then, will probably still do better with a bit of gasoline.

Saw a nice FSJ pickup (were all FSJ pickups J-trucks or were there some that weren't, aside from the M715?) for sale on my way to the NAXJA president's place yesterday... man... wish I had some money to spare and a spot to park it (though the parking space has never stopped me before...)! The rest of the fleet is currently keeping me from having any extra money.

Ordered a camo softtop, new wiper blades, new tach cable, new temp gauge, new belts (since the ones on it aren't exactly right, will keep them as spares), and new hood hold-downs from erik's military surplus store... can't wait till they show up! He's got the best prices I could find anywhere, beat Idaho Motor Pool and others by $50 to $100 on the top and $20-30 on most of the other parts. TNJ wanted over a hundred dollars for a tach cable, got one from him for $38!

Not likely :eek:

It'll cost me about 2-3 grand for a new set of tires. And they only last 20 or 25 thousand miles since it's 10 wheel drive at all times...

Oh, and fuel costs 60 cents a mile till I can get it started on waste motor oil.

Right now I'm daily driving the red 98 XJ. The MJ has no muffler atm (new one going in tonight) and needs a new windshield really badly, and the 96 XJ has an overheating problem.

here it is in the parking lot at Intel Hudson, in the 3 spaces next to a blue prius:

20100806092156.th.jpg

(click for big)

I just love this! I can just imagine some poor hippie type crying because of all the environmental damage youre doing! Not that I advocate enviromental destruction, but this is still a free country, isnt it, at least for the time being? Keep it up, drive it every day! :thumbsup:

Well of course them NDTs wear fast they are soft compound biasply tires.

Most bias tires are hard rubber but not them GI tires they had to be cheap ya know.

I bet a set of 11R24.5s in severe service drive properly maintained will last 75K miles, like some T831 firestones or G177 Goodyears would be the tire of choice.

Mike

here it is in the parking lot at Intel Hudson, in the 3 spaces next to a blue prius:

20100806092156.th.jpg

(click for big)

I just love this! I can just imagine some poor hippie type crying because of all the environmental damage youre doing! Not that I advocate enviromental destruction, but this is still a free country, isnt it, at least for the time being? Keep it up, drive it every day! :thumbsup:

I would but I hate paying nearly 20 dollars for fuel to get to/from work when I can pay about $4.50 for enough gas to get to/from work in the 98 or the MJ :ack: So far I've driven it a couple days a week, when the weather is nice. I'm probably taking it tomorrow because I will be going to the metal supply shop and picking up metal to build ramps out of if I wake up early enough tomorrow. So nice to be able to just go and buy 12 foot long metal stock instead of scratching my head trying to figure out how to get it home...

Soon as I get it running on WMO I will be driving it far more often... and I'm going to see if I can't figure out how to convert my Rockwell transfer case from sprag shifted to air shift so it is only in 8 wheel drive most of the time, that should cut down on tire wear somewhat. I think it's a Rockwell T-138, anyone have a manual for one of those or a mechanical drawing? If it was the size of an NP231 I would just pull it and open it up but it's a little on the heavy side...

Well of course them NDTs wear fast they are soft compound biasply tires.

Most bias tires are hard rubber but not them GI tires they had to be cheap ya know.

I bet a set of 11R24.5s in severe service drive properly maintained will last 75K miles, like some T831 firestones or G177 Goodyears would be the tire of choice.

Mike

hmmm..... how much do those cost on rims?

I'm looking at tires and I can pick up (before shipping of course :ack:) 46" Michelin XMLs @ 85-95% for $200 each, 49" Michelin XLs @ 85-95% for $250, and 53" GY AT A2s (brand new!) or 53" Michelin XZLs @ 85-95% for $250 each, all from 100dollarman. I'm not sure which I like the look of the most but the prices are killer... in both bad and good ways. I'd like to gain a bit of max road speed, too, the 46s look like they'd boost that a little and the tread pattern looks like it won't hurt gas mileage too badly.

The truck yard here sells 11/12R24.5 take offs for $150 on steal wheel and $250 on aluminum wheel.

11R = 44" 12R = 46" so you can have you stability of duels and your road speed of super singles all with out dealing with split rims.

Mike

Hmmm... I gotta find a yard like that around here!

What kind of tread? I'm hoping to get some with a fairly decent allterrain tread at the very least. Of course, that kind of a price cut (2500+shipping+rims? to 1500+I drive there and pick them up) could convince me mighty quick...

you sure its only a few 100LB's ? :eek: My MJ don't seem to be squatting that much and i have my AMC-V8 in the bed for my repower project . . . my truck sits about level

I added my engine shots to my build thread :cheers:

Mike

Loaded & Level:

2x 245/70R19.5's one on rim and 1x AMC-V8 . . .

Do XJ & MJ windshields interchange mines chipped ?

I'm sure they did, deuce v.s 5ton dig difference you need the heavier rated Super singles, Its very hard and $$$$ to find tire shops willing to deal with split rims and tube type tires . . .

The U.S. Army travels in convoy, Joe shmoe is 280 miles from home and blows a 14.00/16.00R20 48" / 52" SS tire now if you have a spare on a rim you just jack up your 12,500lb 2.5ton deuce and change it out, Now if you have a 5ton well then you jack up your 20-22,000lb big nickle and change it out . . .

If you don't have spares and have to buy one ya might get lucky and find a shop with 1 maybe 2 for $499 + $125-$175 mounting fee . . . changing it on the road ? :rotf: :rotfl2: Just give them the truck :yes:

Mike

you sure its only a few 100LB's ? :eek: My MJ don't seem to be squatting that much and i have my AMC-V8 in the bed for my repower project . . . my truck sits about level

I added my engine shots to my build thread :cheers:

Mike

Awesome I'll go take a look! And yeah my springs on the MJ are pretty bagged, and 2wd ones so they're weaker in the first place. What I had in the back - stock steering, 3ton hydro jack, 70lb toolbag, two 6ton jackstands, a couple gallons of fluids, a railroad rail plate, about ten gallons of coolant, the toolbox full of junk, and a couple random toolboxes besides...

Are those two very large cracks in your MJ windshield?
a lot more than two, and yes. I have a new windshield in storage but I need to spend a whole weekend (a sunny one) pulling the windshield, removing rust, replacing a chunk of metal where it's completely rusted through, and then painting, priming, and gluing the new windshield in. So for now I just drive it as little as possible.
didn't the guys on Extreme 4x4 get tires for their bobbed deuce for 100 each?

If they did I want to know where.

Far as I know windshields interchange, I hope they do because I got one off a 97+ XJ!

What do you do about spares anyways? Seems like a real problem since the front rims and the rear rims are different right?

didn't the guys on Extreme 4x4 get tires for their bobbed deuce for 100 each?

Yup! This guy:

http://www.100dollarman.com/

Looking at his prices right now I only see tires for $200 and $250 each. I'm eyeing the 200 dollar ones because I like the price and the tread/size as well. It's going to see mostly highway miles (going to rausch creek and back) but I want it to remain at least somewhat offroad capable.

you simply stock 2 spares on board your 2.5 or 5 ton 6x6 one on a front rim and one on a rear rim, then become religious and pray ya don't need to buy/order one on the road $-) jamminz.gif

Run modern duels and be done with it failure rate is lower, stock ability is higher demand is steady supply is high price is low . . .

an 11R24.5 44" is every were you wanna be ;) the 12R24.5 46" might take some digging but can be found easier n cheaper in stock . . . find out where the City n county boys go for tires and you'll find the 12R24.5's . . .

12.00R24's = 49" are are made to be dueled most big truck/HD equip. shop's stock 2-6 of them.

14.00R24's = 54" used by 10ton's the M123/M125 and road graters also a stocked tire for any big truck/equipment shop.

16.00R24's = 56" tho made to be ran single they will fit dueled on the M123/M125 10 ton's ;)

Mike