The American Motors Corporation's truck's . . .

AMC-MJ

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told him if he needed the money to buy the J10 I would lend it to him so he could do both and pay it off at some point in the future.

He won't be disappointed in the abilities and durability of a Jeep J-truck . . . Unless its a real junker/beater, but even then they can be saved ;)

I'm proving a "junker/beater" class MJ can be brought back into a show worthy machine :cheers: with an AMC-V8 to boot jamminz.gif

Mike

It did end up being a 58 Jeep M54 that got rebuilt as a 90 Mack M54A2 :thumbsup: your friend was 100% correct.

Fixed the parking brake last night, just needed adjustment at the brake shoe bellcrank end. I LOVE not having to worry about whether a fastener is metric or SAE! jamminz.gif

this turned out to be premature, the fittings on the tach cable are metric :nuts:

you simply stock 2 spares on board your 2.5 or 5 ton 6x6 one on a front rim and one on a rear rim, then become religious and pray ya don't need to buy/order one on the road $-) jamminz.gif

Run modern duels and be done with it failure rate is lower, stock ability is higher demand is steady supply is high price is low . . .

an 11R24.5 44" is every were you wanna be ;) the 12R24.5 46" might take some digging but can be found easier n cheaper in stock . . . find out where the City n county boys go for tires and you'll find the 12R24.5's . . .

12.00R24's = 49" are are made to be dueled most big truck/HD equip. shop's stock 2-6 of them.

14.00R24's = 54" used by 10ton's the M123/M125 and road graters also a stocked tire for any big truck/equipment shop.

16.00R24's = 56" tho made to be ran single they will fit dueled on the M123/M125 10 ton's ;)

Mike

still trying to digest this info and find a truck wrecking yard around here, for now I am picking up some 11x20s on 10 hole rims to use as spares for a whopping 5 bucks each! I love craigslist. I might also run the 395/85r20s (46s essentially) I mentioned on either modern 1-piece 20 inch rims or the stock rims + tubes, many people apparently do this but it sounds sketchy.

I called the RMV and they told me that I need to go back to PA and have the seller retitle it as a 58 and send the updated title to me, I gave up on the bureaucrats helping after that and will be asking for advice/help in person at the RMV when I go.

I called the RMV and they told me that I need to go back to PA and have the seller retitle it as a 58 and send the updated title to me, I gave up on the bureaucrats helping after that and will be asking for advice/help in person at the RMV when I go.

I love responses like this. Yea, just go back to PA and get the seller to do a lot of work he probably doesn't want to. It's just that simple!

I just tried to get a '98XJ with a salvage title 'recertified' for legal road use. There is NOTHING wrong with the truck. It was totaled and branded a salvage vehicle because some thieves smashed in rear window and a couple of cut wires that were used to hotwire the ignition. Anyway, I was told that I need to find the ORIGINAL owner of the Jeep and have him provide me with COLOR photographs of the XJ before it was broken into.

My response was: "Ok, that's may be the response that you're programmed to give me. Now give me a response that's actually practical."

I love responses like this. Yea, just go back to PA and get the seller to do a lot of work he probably doesn't want to. It's just that simple!

I just tried to get a '98XJ with a salvage title 'recertified' for legal road use. There is NOTHING wrong with the truck. It was totaled and branded a salvage vehicle because some thieves smashed in rear window and a couple of cut wires that were used to hotwire the ignition. Anyway, I was told that I need to find the ORIGINAL owner of the Jeep and have him provide me with COLOR photographs of the XJ before it was broken into.

My response was: "Ok, that's may be the response that you're programmed to give me. Now give me a response that's actually practical."

Exactly. The bureaucrats just want to push people around and hand down fatwas from on high, read directly from their rulebook titled "regulations and certification processes: how to really make the plebs hate you"

58' Jeep M54 = 5ton 6x6 Cargo truck, 602Ci I-6 gasoline engine 196hp@2,800rpm, 5spd manual trans, 6.44 gears, and 11.00-20 tires.

90' Mack M54A2 = Remaned 5ton 6x6 Cargo truck, 478Ci I-6 Multiple fuel engine 205hp@2,600rpm, 5spd Manual trans, 6.44 gears, and 11.00-20 tires.

The 465 is 478 CID ;) . . . Not sure on the torque rating of the 2 engines but i was told they were about the same :nuts:

Mike

Bord um set in, i ran my truck on the rpm/mph calculator :nuts: 290 v8 + AX-15 + 4.10s + 235's = max speed of 125mph@4,711rpm :eek:

:ack: SB 2WD MJ on 235 MT's rolling 125mph :hmm: Sounds dangerous Maybe i should go with 4.56s :hmm:

Mike

I have done 120mph in a stock Jeep XJ on 225s, it's a little flighty but quite controllable.

Never had the MJ above 100, mostly because I had a real bad balljoint, some scarily rusted control arms, and sloppy steering that were keeping me somewhat sane. It will accelerate to 90mph going uphill on the highway with 1400lbs of spare parts and camping gear in the back though, WITHOUT overheating, on a heavily corroded radiator with almost no fins left jamminz.gif

My MJ currently don't have any shocks and the rest of the suspenion is 22 years old n rusted.

My Comanche is all done about 75mph due to lack of OD.

Now after this repower, I'm sure its going to be nose heavy regardless of the fuel tank in the bed n heavy duty rear bumper.

Mike

Bord um set in, i ran my truck on the rpm/mph calculator :nuts: 290 v8 + AX-15 + 4.10s + 235's = max speed of 125mph@4,711rpm :eek:

:ack: SB 2WD MJ on 235 MT's rolling 125mph :hmm: Sounds dangerous Maybe i should go with 4.56s :hmm:

Mike

With the power and torque available from your 290 V8, you should easily be able to go to 3:73, or 3:55 gears and be very drivable on the 235's. You could even go even faster too. Not that you would want to. Might help gas milage a bit too, not that youre worrying about that. But theres no way I would go any lower with the gears, youre going to be very revvy with 4:10's as it is.

I'm sure 3.73s or 3.55s would do ok, but I spent a good portion of my road time in the 25-45mph range and with 4.10s and the AX15 with 235s ill be running 1500-1700rpm which should get me plenty of MPGs not that I was really all that worried about mileage.

1500-1700rpm will be the bottom end of the power curve anyhow, peak torque will be about 3200-3500rpm and peak horse power will be about 4500-4700rpm.

So I can't lug it down to far . . .

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

:cheers: AM-General is still Banking good Income, so far this year 3 US-Army contract's.

1 for 100 units at $182,000 a unit, 1 for 53 units at $181,00 a unit, and the 3rd was 2526 units for $245,000 a unit :cheers:

Way to go :bowdown: AMC jamminz.gif Yes i still consider it a product of AMC because AMC created AM-G, So one of there creations it a live and well still, they also started i joint venture with GTV and just delivered a few New prototype units to Uncle Sam for Army testing :cheers:

Bord but not Dead yet,

Mikey

• 4 weeks later...

Some AM-G products:

US:

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv ... s/vehicles

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv/specs.php

Export:

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv ... l/vehicles

New Concept/Prototypes:

http://www.generaltacticalvehicles.com/

Nice to see AM-General doing so well :thumbsup:

Mike

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hummer/

Hummer® Vehicles

Producing a civilian version of the battle-tested military Humvee® was a natural progression for AM General. In 1992, when the HUMMER was introduced as a civilian truck, it had become apparent that the public understood its unique off-road capabilities.

For nearly a decade, the HUMMER caught the country's eye and it became a highly sought after, one-of-a-kind vehicle. It's an icon of strength, durability and individualism.

In late 1999, AM General and General Motors Corporation finalized an agreement to jointly pursue product, marketing and distribution opportunities for HUMMER. Under the final agreement, GM acquired the exclusive ownership of the HUMMER brand name worldwide and the original HUMMER was renamed the HUMMER H1.

In 2002, AM General opened its new HUMMER H2® Assembly Plant in Mishawaka, Ind. next to the plant that produces the military Humvee. There it assembles the exciting SUV and SUT variants of the HUMMER H2, designed and brought to market by GM.

In 2006, AM General and General Motors jointly decided to cease production of the larger HUMMER H1. AM General continues to provide parts and service for the HUMMER H1.

Although GM acquired the HUMMER brand, they do not own any part of AM General LLC.

For product information, HUMMER dealers and other HUMMER specific information, please visit HUMMER.com.

Mike