Question: Rear Main Seal "Stop Leak" @ Autozone

I'd be weary about something that you dump into your oil that plugs up holes. What does it do when it enters oil galleys and passageways? Plug those up too? Would be interesting to watch your oil pressure skyrocket as all small passages get plugged up. Experiment on a Honda first ;)

I saw a quart of Rear Main Seal "Stop Leak" at Autozone and I was just wondering if anyone has tried it. I think it was $10. Obviously it's not a good fix, but temporary until I have time to change the seal maybe?

Rear main seal in a can? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

If its the Bars Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair then its actually half decent. Bought a full size ford van to haul a motorcycle before I had the comanche because it was cheaper to do that than rent a truck/uhaul/whatever and I threw a bottle of that in when I found out it was pissing oil from the rear main.

It actually held up for 2 oil changes before it started pissing oil again, I added another bottle of that and it slowed it down to almost nothing. All I know is that stuff is THICK. I've since recommended it as a temporary (even long term temporary) fix for customers. I work at an Advance Auto. Not sure if I just got lucky, but that was good enough for what I needed it for.

I'd be weary about something that you dump into your oil that plugs up holes. What does it do when it enters oil galleys and passageways? Plug those up too? Would be interesting to watch your oil pressure skyrocket as all small passages get plugged up. Experiment on a Honda first ;)

X2-

My 2 cents - I wouldn't touch it.

My engine was on its way out so I try the rear main seal in a can from autozone, I did it twice !!! it made no difference what so ever... save your money.

I ended up buying it. Only $10 and since I'm making multiple stops into Autozone every week for this POS truck anyways, I figured what the hell. My father-in-law said he's used it and it worked well for him. The bottle says to use every 6,000 miles and will stop leaks usually within the first 2 days or 100 miles. I think it all depends how bad your rear main seal is.

I dunno what happened but my rear main was leaking about a half quart out a week. I seafoam-ed my engine(half through vac. hose, 1/4 in oil, and 1/4 in gas) and it stopped leaking. My rear main hasn't leaked ever since :nuts:

my mj rear main seal stopped leaking on mine after a handful of frequent oil changes using valvoline max life. i'm not really a fan of adding stop leaks, but if it softens seals maybe its worth a try, imo thats what the max life additives do. i'm sure it depends on the severity, mine was not dripping, but no leak at all for quite a while now.

i think frequent oil changes help prevent leaks. i can't prove it, but i see so many vehicles every day, and the ones who change their oil once or twice a year are all leaking. i think leaving oil in there with all the crap that floats around in it when its left in to long damages seals. just one yahoo's theory though :nuts:

i did a valve job on an early 90s 4.3 astro van about year and half ago.about a week later the rear main started pouring and he was out of money.i told him to try the bars leak stuff.he added one can and it slowed it down.another can later and it stopped.it doesn't leak till this day.i wouldn't use it on my stuff but don't wouldn't hold it against anybody for trying it.