That darn buzzer when I put the key in the ignition

:fs1: :mad: I hate it, it drives me mad. Everytime I put the key in the ignition it yells at me telling me I put the key in. Yes I know the key is in. I think the buzzer is inside the steering column, is there anyway to disable it without having to tear apart the column?

I don't have any buzzers left except for this one; no 'door open' or 'lights on' buzzer.

only buzzer i know of was the one just to the left of the fuse box.. small black box about the 3/4 the size of a deck of cards but a little thicker. (if that makes any sense) that took away all the buzzing/alert crap by pulling it out. on my 88mj and 92xj

I'll take a look near the fuse box. Funny thing is I've left my headlights on and killed the battery once because the buzzer for that is busted. So before I step out I tend to push the headlight button in just in case ;) I even do this on my XJ which has all working buzzers.

The MJ has that buzzer, but it only works for the key in the switch. Doesn't fuss about the door or headlights. My XJ didn't have a buzzer at all. I killed the batt a few times by leaving the headlamps on. Fixed that problem when i installed my radio and hooked up the 12v switch source for the radio to the wire coming from the lights. The radio worked all the time, but if i left the lights on it would stay on. Good reminder there.

Doesn't the "key in buzzer" only buzz if the driver's seat belt is not engaged? What if the seatbelt wire is disconnected, does that over-ride the buzzer? This way your "headlights on buzzer" will still work (if you have the blue buzzer box at the fuse panel).

Here is your answer. If you don't want the buzzer at all remove it. I find that once you've left your lights on once (and your battery dies leaving you stranded) the buzzer has gotten a new lease on life. If I was so concerned about it I would wire in a time delay circuit that would turn the lights on with ignition, and delay off after I get out with an override if I choose.

View entire discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4464&hilit=headlight+on+buzzer