Lights for my roll bar - need suggestions

I've got a new to me Dakota roll bar that I'd like to add some lights to. It came with some 5x7 Bosch lights but they look huge. I'd like to stay away from round lights because on a black truck I think they look kinda like Mickey Mouse. I'd mainly use these for the back roads when I'm afraid of deer running out in front of me. Does anybody have any recommendations for some smaller, lower profile rectangular lights? 4 Wheel Parts has 10-20% off with free shipping this weekend, so I'm trying to take advantage of it. I also want some fog lights for the front, but I think I have those picked out (Hella Micro FF Fog Lamp Kit - unless anyone has any suggestions to change my mind).

Thanks!

Here's a picture of the current lights:

Well ruling out Round lights deminishes your options greatly.

for rectangular lights Id recommend KC "57" Series lights, sometime id like to put a set on the rack of my XJ.

However Round lights don't look that bad on a rollbar, and the whole micky mouse thing will subside rather quickly.

Our trucks are pretty similar! If I did decide to go on round lights, what would you suggest? Also, are your fogs factory?

The factory lights were rectangular, don't recall if they were 5x7 or larger. I think larger. And they were not "fog" lights. Fog lights are mounted as low as possible and they have a very flat cut-off and wide, short range pattern. Off-road lights are flood lights.

I've a PIAA fan, but most name brands should work fine. Just stay away from KC lights!

Really? How come? I've never heard bad things about them.

Oh and I'm looking to put fog lights on the front bumper in addition to the flood lamps on the roll bar, not fog lamps and flood lamps on the roll bar. Sorry, if that was confusing.

I've a PIAA fan, but most name brands should work fine. Just stay away from KC lights!

Really? How come? I've never heard bad things about them.

Oh and I'm looking to put fog lights on the front bumper in addition to the flood lamps on the roll bar, not fog lamps and flood lamps on the roll bar. Sorry, if that was confusing.

The few sets that I’ve owned didn’t last too long. Granted, I live in the NW… but they seem to rust through easily at the bottom of the housing. Also, IMHO they never appeared to be as bright as other lights.

KC's have been highly counterfieted on the ebay,etc... circuit for years. You may not be getting what you pay for on any of these items if the don't come from a reputable dealer.

I have noticed a rust problem on KC's here in the rust belt, as well.

I bought KC's for my ZJ a few years back. They immediately rusted and had water issues. They were purchased from quadratec. I have had a few sets of various Hellas. No complaints with any of them.

Put those lights on front bumper or guard and mount some flood lights upside down for backing up.

Trees just love to tear off lights pounted on top of the roll bar and the glare on the hood can be an issue.

Thats just my thoughts about it.

:cheers:

Put those lights on front bumper or guard and mount some flood lights upside down for backing up.

Trees just love to tear off lights pounted on top of the roll bar and the glare on the hood can be an issue.

Thats just my thoughts about it.

:cheers:

Now, I like that idea. And as for trees tearing them off the top, the MJ won't see as much trail duty as my Wrangler, so I'm not that worried about it. I have a couple 100w Pro-comp lights on the windshield of my TJ and the glare off the hood has never really been a big issue for me.

I've got a new to me Dakota roll bar that I'd like to add some lights to. It came with some 5x7 Bosch lights but they look huge. I'd like to stay away from round lights because on a black truck I think they look kinda like Mickey Mouse. I'd mainly use these for the back roads when I'm afraid of deer running out in front of me. Does anybody have any recommendations for some smaller, lower profile rectangular lights? 4 Wheel Parts has 10-20% off with free shipping this weekend, so I'm trying to take advantage of it. I also want some fog lights for the front, but I think I have those picked out (Hella Micro FF Fog Lamp Kit - unless anyone has any suggestions to change my mind).

Thanks!

Here's a picture of the current lights:

Nice truck, it's nice to see another black Comanche out there!

Our trucks are pretty similar! If I did decide to go on round lights, what would you suggest? Also, are your fogs factory?

The factory lights were rectangular, don't recall if they were 5x7 or larger. I think larger. And they were not "fog" lights. Fog lights are mounted as low as possible and they have a very flat cut-off and wide, short range pattern. Off-road lights are flood lights.

my point of view on this is: if you wanna put round lights on your truck it needs to have round headlights :nanner:

seriously I got procomp 55 on my roll bar 2 spot and 2 fluted and they work great

it gives me sunshine far and not to bright by the jeep so you don't need to wear sunglasses at night

see round headlights with round spots

Image Not Found

• 2 years later...
Where did you get your Dakota roll bar?

I actually got it from another Comanche owner that had it listed on Craigs List. It was about a 350 mile journey round trip, but I think it was worth it. It was a lot of work to make it fit correctly, but I like how it turned out.