Aftermarket MJ Rear Sway Bar

Yeah Pete, that would be a good solution since I have converted to rear Explorer disks (D35 still though :cry: ). Need to find something for that heavy shell I tote around. Thicker front sway bar helped a lot, but still rolls too much for me. Have a new leaf pack in the back too. Been talking to a few guys who purchased the Amtech RollGard (http://www.amtechsprings.com/) and all love it, but none had an MJ. Too expensive though.........

• 2 years later...

OK... I'm flipping tired of searching through search returns...

Don.. I got a hold of >>PST<<< and talked to a sells rep.. He had me the instructions to the rear sway bars UPS'd to me.. I scanned them and here they are. He told me they have only sold 4 of those rear bars. The last one was in 07 to someone in CA..

I'm pretty sure he had his "source" send me the instructions which also came with a really, really cool 9th Addition copy of "Handling- What it is and how to get it" published by Addco. I'm guessing these >>>PST<<< are the Addco ones.

The book is packed with all kinds of info.. Around 100 pages of "A through analysis of handling problems, the causes and the cures, and a guide to chassis selection."

Written by Roland de Marcellus

Addco Industries Inc. is by the way, is in Linville, NC, less then a hour from where I live. I didnt know that.. Might have to give them a call, and run up there for a tour, or something..

Anyways. here's the instructions on how the rear bars mount.

G was the guy who turned me on the the PST rear bar. In fact he's helped me in a whole lot of things. Unfortunately it would not fit my LWB because of the shock mounts. It fits the SWB models just fine. Hopefully G will chime in and explain it better than I can. :D

G was the guy who turned me on the the PST rear bar. In fact he's helped me in a whole lot of things. Unfortunately it would not fit my LWB because of the shock mounts. It fits the SWB models just fine. Hopefully G will chime in and explain it better than I can. :D

I was wondering about that from the picture. Is it possible to mount the sway bar on the front of the axle? It looks like it has a bend in the middle that may clear the pinion if positioned in the right place. But there may be issues with the driver side link clearing the gas tank too.

Willy

If I remember correctly the longbed MJ's have one shock front side of the axle and one aft. The shortbeds have both shocks backside of the rear axle. The top shock mount on the shortbed MJ is a mounting point for the sway bar links. The bar worked well when I was running the standard rear leaf pack. One thing I'll say is that top nut should have been a castle nut with a cotter pin through the threaded shaft. Even with thread-locking and double nutting these top mounts the nuts would loosen. Once I upgraded to metric ton leafs, I passed the sway bar along to Don. I'd recommend it if your running factory leafs. I did notice an improvement in handling, but the top nuts need to be addressed.

I do think they could have come up with a better design however.

If I remember correctly the longbed MJ's have one shock front side of the axle and one aft. The shortbeds have both shocks backside of the rear axle.

No, both shocks mount in front of the axle on a long bed.

Willy