One Guy's Opinion OME shocks

There has been ongoing questions about shocks and which are good or bad. I feel I would be doing everyone a disservice if I didnt mention this so here goes:

My '87 with 83,000 +/- miles had the factory original front coils on it along with OEM shocks and Steering Stabilizer. The shocks and stabilizer probably had less than 3000 miles on them. But I felt they sucked and I am anal. :shake:

A guilty party on this forum (who shall remain nameless) convinced me to go with OME shocks and coils. I can't begin to tell you how surprised I was with the result. I replaced the coils first and could tell a difference before I left my driveway. I got about 1.75" lift in the front on OME coils.

The OME shocks were almost as good. I need to confess that my rear leafs are new but I don't know what is back there. I had them replaced in a pinch and I think they are the stiffest leafs known to man. So the back of my 87 is very stiff (unless they are all like that). The bottom line is I sense a better improvement on the front than I do the back.

I highly recommend the OME coils and shocks.

I live on a rough, washboard dirt road and I compare it against our Z71 Tahoes and the Tahoes are still much smoother (they are not unibody trucks). The steering damping is better than the Tahoes. I should point out the tahoes still have their factory original shocks and ss. On paved hilly back country roads, I would say the MJ is just as good as the Tahoes although the interior is a little louder. I have a JK rubicon that really likes the bumpy roads but in the MJ's defense, it's body is not welded to the frame either. But going down the highway, I have more wind noise on the MJ. The rubicon MIGHT edge out the MJ on the highway but not by much but the MJ wins with the coolness factor. It is a truck and those rear leafs have something to do with it.

Recently I replaced the OEM Sterring Stabilizer with an OME one. I think the OME ss is as big around as their shocks. That change was more dramatic than the shocks or coils. On our dirt road, I get road feel but absolutely no vibration. The steering is slightly more stiff than what it was. I am absolutely convinced this is much better than when it was new from the factory.

My two cents.

To continue the discussion on shocks, I would say the opposite for Skyjacker shocks. One of my Cherokees came with almost new Skyjacker shocks. They are WAY too stiff. Makes the Cherokee ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

To continue the discussion on shocks, I would say the opposite for Skyjacker shocks. One of my Cherokees came with almost new Skyjacker shocks. They are WAY too stiff. Makes the Cherokee ride like a 3/4 ton truck.

I agree, Skyjacker sucks.

I ended up using the RE mono tubes , the Bilstein were on back order at the time and I found out that the RE mono's are just re-badged and coated Bilstein's .

Great ride if I must say , super smooth on the highway .