Axle swap

95-01 Explorer have disks, but the older ones are just as strong and the drums are still better than your Dana 35 brakes. The key is getting the right gear ratio. Nows the time to consider an upgrade if you have larger tires. 8.8s can be had in 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10.

car-part.com can help with your search for an axle. Oh, and it has to come from an Explorer/Mountineer, as any other 8.8 will either have the wrong wheel bolt pattern, be the wrong width, or be of inferior strength.

Check these sites for pointers on the 8.8 swap:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

http://xjfanatic.com/ford88.php

Oh, and XJ perches are farther apart than MJ perches, not the other way around.

Are we sure?

Yes.

XJ leafs are outboard of the frame rails, while MJ leafs are directly below. But MJs have a wider frame out back so the difference is only a small amount, but more than enough that the leaf bushings would suffer immensly.

I'm glad i read this, post. i was going to go out and buy the front and rear axles off a xj today. they are off a 4cly 5spd, which I'm told are 4.10s which would be perfect for the 33s i want to put on. i guess i will just wait to upgrade gears when i do the srping over. btw i can get axles way cheap here. a local junk yard only wants $60 for a rear axle complete no matter the truck or car. oh and transmissions are 43, no matter the truck. i love it.

I'm glad i read this, post. i was going to go out and buy the front and rear axles off a xj today. they are off a 4cly 5spd, which I'm told are 4.10s which would be perfect for the 33s i want to put on. i guess i will just wait to upgrade gears when i do the srping over. btw i can get axles way cheap here. a local junk yard only wants $60 for a rear axle complete no matter the truck or car. oh and transmissions are 43, no matter the truck. i love it.

get the 4.10 geared front, match it to a 4.10 geared 8.8 and you'd be golden.

I've heard no definitive answer on that. We can assume so, but I would take a tape measure to the junkyard to take measurements and even pop the cover to check spline count before plunking down money on a sport-trac. Ford has done some really screwy things over the years. :(