Spare tires

i keep a full size spare 265/75/16 in the bed of my chevy and it doesn't move around all that much unless its been raining, even when I'm out in the woods... i guess theft could be an issue, but my spare rim is so rusty it will make you need a tetanus shot if you get within 2 feet of it :rotf: ... 300k miles worth of riding under the truck will do that though... i would have left it there but with the dual pipes it doesn't fit anymore.... i guess the next best thing would be to get one of those baja truck tire mounts that bolts to the bed..

yeah. If you have a roll bar, ive seen some mounts where you bolt the spare onto that. or you could do something like CW and mount it to a custom tailgate.

something like this:

thats what i would do, in that order. rollbar, or tailgate.

yeah. If you have a roll bar, ive seen some mounts where you bolt the spare onto that. or you could do something like CW and mount it to a custom tailgate.

something like this:

thats what i would do, in that order. rollbar, or tailgate.

Ya i thought about doing the tailgate but i really don't think i could do that i really would like to do it tho.

Mine is in the bed strapped down. I don't think a worn out 37 will get stolen but if I were worried I guess I could use a cable lock on it.

Why don't you leave it under the MJ until for DD duty and then strap it in the bed for offroad use.

Mine is in the bed strapped down. I don't think a worn out 37 will get stolen but if I were worried I guess I could use a cable lock on it.

Why don't you leave it under the MJ until for DD duty and then strap it in the bed for offroad use.

I go wheelin all the time so i don't want to have to get out of my truck and mess with it all the time.

Best place I ever ran it.

How did it stay up there.

You know how everyone complains about re-using leaf spring U-bolts?

Well they still work pretty good to support your tire to a round tube. :smart:

That was also a great place to put the high-lift. (you can kinda see it in the pic)

I used two reinforcing plates that go on the spring plates (shaped like this"_n_" ),

I sandwiched two together, open end to open end (forming a pretty heavy duty sleeve), bolted both of them (also with U-bolts) to the roll bar, and the high lift slid right into the opening.

I could've even put a padlock on the jack if I was worried about someone grabbing it.

• 12 years later...

After lots of planning and thinking of different ideas, I mounted a Rugged Ridge Spare Tire Carrier Mount for the YJ/TJ to the top front rail of the bed. This standoff position also lets my soft topper fold down behind the spare.

IMG_1841.jpeg