What are folks opinions of the 2009-10 Cadillac CTS

jeepdoggydogB

The time has come for my wife to buy a new car, she has looked at many luxury cars and chose the Cadillac CTS. She currently has a 1998 Mercedes SL500 which has given us eight trouble free years. The Nissan Maxima has a reliability rating from JD power of 6, and then Toyota's ratings currently are a disaster. I would love to hear opinions from folks I trust! :cheers:

Why not stick to what has treated you right, and get another 'benz?

Rob L.

Hello Rob,

I totally agree except that the newest MB's reliability ratings aren't that great according to JD Powers. I know it is hard to beleive but the Cadillac CTS received an 8/10 while the Nissan and others have scored less. I llooked at an older S500 and the best years we can get an acceptable realibility rating is a 2004 when they still made them in Germany.

Why not stick to what has treated you right, and get another 'benz?

Rob L.

Hello Rob,

I totally agree except that the newest MB's reliability ratings aren't that great according to JD Powers. I know it is hard to beleive but the Cadillac CTS received an 8/10 while the Nissan and others have scored less. I llooked at an older S500 and the best years we can get an acceptable realibility rating is a 2004 when they still made them in Germany.

I'd believe it... Government Motors has spent tons of cash bringing their luxury line up to par with the foreigns.. My Dad's GF has an 08(i think) STS.. it is one damn nice car and a real improvement over the other caddy's she has had in the past.

You know those women when they have there mind on something they like :hmm: the heck of how they are rated they may like the way it looks or something to that extent. and if you don't :doh: you won't here the end of it. don't say i told you so on the other hand this one could do the same for ya as well. I'd say if it makes her happy go for it just be ready for the out come you could be :banana: got a great deal or :headpop: when something goes wrong i would recommend that they stand behind what they have to offer even in this economy they need the business and you are willing to deal good luck :cheers:

Thanks Gents! She does have her mind made up, and we do have an agreement where I won't buy another Jeep but she can't complain that I spend money on my Comanche. My whine is that if she buys the Cadillac I will be on the hook for it running smoothly :roll: I am proud as an American that the Cadillac got such high marks, but I am bummed that if they do not live up to their promises I will be on the hook to making her happy :ack:

I would suggest that no matter what you select check as many forums on that particular vehicle as you can find. If she wants luxury then you have already ruled out Toyots, Nissan, and similiar cars. They just don't have the ride quality or interior quiteness of higer level luxury. My wife has owned 5 or 6 Cadillacs and liked them all. The Devilles were big quite boats, the ElDorado was a road eating beast, the early CTS was neither of those as it was a little noiser inside, less power, and not as reliable (V6 isusses). But Cadillac Forum should provide some enlightenment .

Why not Subaru?

The B9 & it's little brother the Forester are pretty luxurious.

I just bought my wife an '09 Legacy after she finally got tired of her '03 Forester. They're built to last as well as for those who are lacking in the ability to drive department...

:D

~Dave

Is the CTS a warmed over Opel? Maybe even made in germany? You should research that. I really don't know, but I do know that GM's Opel division provides a few platforms for their American divisions. Maybe if it is made in germany, thats why the ratings are so high.

The Cadillac Catera built from 97-02 was a rebadged Opel Omega. It was prone to self destruct in a preprogrammed manner with periodic elec & engine problems. It was a piece of S--- from the git-go. The 1st thing to go was the oil cooler stuck down in the valley, then any of numerous electrical issuses. then chassis steering parts. Replacement parts were extremely expensive and hard to obtain. It just never ended on mine and thousands of others. It was a blast to brive when everything was working right. However, GM discontinued it because of alll the unfavorable issuses that existed with it. The CTS was brought out to fill the niche the Cateras were suppose to fit into.

I have to say, I never thought I'd consider buying a Caddy, but with the looks, performance and reviews the CTS has gotten, I could dig it. That being said, I'm a BMW fan, no mention of a 5 series yet. Like most German cars, they have their little quirks and predictable maintenance issues over the life of the car, but if you know that going in and take proper care of it, they last forever. If you've never driven a silky smooth BMW straight 6, I suggest you give it a shot. :thumbsup:

I would suggest that no matter what you select check as many forums on that particular vehicle as you can find. If she wants luxury then you have already ruled out Toyots, Nissan, and similiar cars. They just don't have the ride quality or interior quiteness of higer level luxury. My wife has owned 5 or 6 Cadillacs and liked them all. The Devilles were big quite boats, the ElDorado was a road eating beast, the early CTS was neither of those as it was a little noiser inside, less power, and not as reliable (V6 isusses). But Cadillac Forum should provide some enlightenment .

My brother-in-law has an '03 CTS (first year). I just replaced the valve cover gaskets on it (PITA). He has had/has numerous problems with it, but he still loves it. The latest CTS is a great car. I would avoid buying and first year redesign of any manufacturer. For the most part, you are their guinea pig if you do.

Thanks again everyone I am checking things out and the new CTS is really getting a lot of great reviews. As for a Diesel If anyone in the family is getting one that would be me in the form of a Dodge 2500 :D , but that won't be until retirement time hopefully they will still make them in 2016.

Thanks again everyone I am checking things out and the new CTS is really getting a lot of great reviews. As for a Diesel If anyone in the family is getting one that would be me in the form of a Dodge 2500 :D , but that won't be until retirement time hopefully they will still make them in 2016.

make sure you don't get an auto, or hopefully by then allison transmissions will be standard.

Thanks for the tip jeepcomj!

comanche09 as it is we are looking to buy a 2009 used which can be had with all the bells and whistles for as little as $33,000 with low mileage. Used CTS-V still goes for over $50,000 which would be way out of our price range, and to be honest I would not trust my wife in a vehicle that goes from 0-60 in 4.0 seconds :no:

comanche09 as it is we are looking to buy a 2009 used which can be had with all the bells and whistles for as little as $33,000 with low mileage. Used CTS-V still goes for over $50,000 which would be way out of our price range, and to be honest I would not trust my wife in a vehicle that goes from 0-60 in 4.0 seconds :no:

Come to think of it, I would not trust my wife to drive one either! :rotfl2: What a beast though... :drool:

How about a nice used mercedes diesel? You can get a nice used mercedes Bluetec for that same price.

Plus its a diesel.

And did I mention that its a diesel?

Why wouldn't you want a mercedes diesel for the same price?

And did I mention that its a diesel? I already regret selling my 98 E300 Turbo Diesel.

We love our 1998 SL 500, it has been a quality car, and I wouldn't doubt wifey would love a newer MB but I don't think she would ever accept the smell of a diesel.

I'd say that you need to drive one if you can find one in your budget because many of the diesels in the past 5-6yrs burn super clean, the newest ones burn as clean or cleaner than gasoline. I can't remember who (I think VW), but there is a mfr that has a prototype diesel right now that supposedly has less emissions less than a hybrid gas car. Just a thought.

We love our 1998 SL 500, it has been a quality car, and I wouldn't doubt wifey would love a newer MB but I don't think she would ever accept the smell of a diesel.

Other than the badge on the back, and the different nozzle at the pump, you can't tell its a diesel.

The bluetec engine runs so quiet you can't tell its a diesel unless you know to listen to it.

Several times now I have been next to a bluetec at a light, only to not even know it untill they go past me and I see the badge.

Not only that, but diesels DO have lower emissions per BTU burned.

Plus you can run alternative fuels(IE biodiesel), which increase mileage and lower emissions further, not to mention that they are homegrown fuels and the money for the biodiesel doesn't go overseas to some towelhead who hates the great satan but still takes our money.

Seriously, check out the bluetec or a CDI, you will be blown away with them. Quiet, no smells, torquey, long-life, high resale value.

If you got a few years old bluetec or CDI(for the same price as a used caddy), the mercedes will still hold much of its value over the next ten years, the caddy won't hardly be worth anything after ten years.

You seem like the perfect candidate for a bluetec, you have had a mercedes and loved it, are looking to buy a near new luxury car in the 30-40k range. A used bluetec fits that bill perfectly.

Plus, its a diesel.