Boring MJ how to fix ?

AMC-MJ

Been over every rock trail, including Imogene and Hayden Pass in Colorado with a 2 wd '38 Chevy 2dr sedan. That was when I was a dumbass kid and didn't know you couldn't do them things unless you had 4wd. :clapping:

Haha. My girlfriends grandfather told me he once took his shiny new Grand Wagogneer over a pass around Leadville (the name has slipped my mind). His wife argued his new Jeep would get torn up, but they still went for it. Got to the top and saw a family of 4 in a convertible GTO. Guess with big motors and a limited slip rear end you can do anything.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been over every rock trail, including Imogene and Hayden Pass in Colorado with a 2 wd '38 Chevy 2dr sedan. That was when I was a dumbass kid and didn't know you couldn't do them things unless you had 4wd. :clapping:

Fairly normal in the 1960's was to take old rwd cars and run them all over the logging roads in Oregon! :clapping: We would drag the mufflers off, beat them to a pulp, junk 'em, and get another. :dunno: Even used a Valiant w/a slant six. Took it hunting and stuffed a deer in the trunk! :nuts:

Haha. My girlfriends grandfather told me he once took his shiny new Grand Wagogneer over a pass around Leadville (the name has slipped my mind). His wife argued his new Jeep would get torn up, but they still went for it. Got to the top and saw a family of 4 in a convertible GTO. Guess with big motors and a limited slip rear end you can do anything.

If your GF'S GD was driving a brown/tan Waggy over Mosquito Pass in July,1972 tell him you talked with the driver of the Blue '65 GTO convertable,389, 4spd,posi trac, who remebers him and the pleasant conversation we all had. Jim

If your GF'S GD was driving a brown/tan Waggy over Mosquito Pass in July,1972 tell him you talked with the driver of the Blue '65 GTO convertable,389, 4spd,posi trac, who remebers him and the pleasant conversation we all had. Jim

Jim, your stories never cease to amaze me. Overseas, in the states, trouble in foreign lands... Your a been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and rode the bull kinda guy. I have a feeling if we all got together I would be the one sitting on the edge of my seat, and taking in every word.

:bowdown:

You my man, are truly the most interesting man in the world.

dos-equis.jpg

I hope someday I make it out by ya. I'll bring the beers.

Rob L. image_209027.gif

I think 2 things primarily shaped my life. When I was a kid I loved reading and especialy geography and history. I knew then I wanted to travel and see things. Also there would be these old farts, telling me how they wished they had done this or that when they were younger. I made up my mind then that i was going to do what i wanted, and I did it, pretty much. I figure maybe I've been around this world maybe 12 times. Been to 6 of the Continents,49 of the states. When the incident on Mosquito Pass took place I was working on Kwajalein, Marshall Islands and was home on vacation. I had completely rebuilt the GTO in 1971, one day before I left for Kwaj and that was the first time I really drove it. And I'm sure I bore a lot of people with my been there, done that, attitude but Dammit I have And if talking about your youth isn't one of the things you can do when you get older, then why bother? I really feel sory for peeps without a sense of humor, as well as those who have lost a loved one. Jim soapbox.gif

:dunno: trail riding a 2WD Jeep pickup :dunno: sound pointless :hmm:

Mike

never stopped me either, just make sure you with someone to pull you out.

my mj is fun, have had too much experience with much else, but i plan on 4x4 and making it so the doors can be taken off and possibly a sunroof, fun 'nuff for summer for sure.

good luck :banana:

Hey, Jim.

Enjoying life in this world God has given us is His intent. Sadly sin has messed it up, but it is still meant to be enjoyed and relished, and good for you in doing so.

I have been in lots of states, but only other two countries, really; Germany and Vietnam. Made stops in Alaska, Guam, and R&R in Australia, but every bit of it has enriched my life. So, good for you in enjoying what God gave us to enjoy. Important, though, is to enjoy in a way that brings blessings to others, and by this I mean we can enjoy beverages on a beach somewhere without causing problems, and we can even be involved in a war with the well being of all as our motive and enjoying our time. In the midst of being mortared and shot at in Vietnam, I got in some of the best surfing ever! I actually caught a tube! So, even in war, wonders can happen!

I thought Green Beach N of DaNang had some great surfing potential. Somebody said the ones further N by Hue were even better. Sadly never got to try either one. Ever notice how people with a upbeat attitude always seems to find more wonders than the sour pusses? And somewhere along the line this :hijack: Got

:dunno: Removable door's :idea: what would it take to make a removable roof :hmm: WTH :doh: . . . :rotfl2: :yes:

Ya what about the top thing if your doing doors :smart:

Mike

:dunno: trail riding a 2WD Jeep pickup :dunno: sound pointless :hmm:

Mike

never stopped me either, just make sure you with someone to pull you out.

my mj is fun, have had too much experience with much else, but i plan on 4x4 and making it so the doors can be taken off and possibly a sunroof, fun 'nuff for summer for sure.

good luck :banana:

Unless I get stuck in sumthin deep and greasy(wheeling, I mean), my Colorado with a limited slip rear diff pretty much handles anything you reasonably throw at it. So much so that I think it's criminal to sell a 4X4 without a limited slip diff.

Just pondering Mikes problem, you know, the subject that started this whole dialogue, I'm just wondering if perhaps the problem is he was expecting to much. You know. Put on 35in tires, leap tall buildings in a single jump, 4.10 gears, climb the tallest trees,6in rise, cross the Mississippi and not get your feet wet. When it couldn't deliver he's disappointed, depressed. Or maybe it could do all those things and now he has nothing further to look forward to. Just a thought. Jim :dunno:

My 4x2 4 popper ain't fast but Just being able to drive an MJ and have people look -some "younger" jeep owners probably thinking "I never knew Jeep made those! I want one" - makes driving one loads of fun! Comanche owners are a distinct, maybe even rare, group! :banana:

Most just view as old beat up truck and that is the ones who notice it :fs1: There is no "WHOA" or "WOW" effect to it . . .

I guess it was a $300 beater truck, I suppose its bought as a cheapo Bic lighter throw away truck i guess i shouldn't have expected more out if then a recyclable material . . . buy it cheap drive till some thing major goes scrap it move on . . .

I just thought this truck could be some thing more then this . . .

Mike

If this truck is not what you were expecting, then get rid of it.... meaning sell it to someone who does think its worth it.... and get something else, because frankly, I'm tired of hearing you say youre going to scrap it. Youre obviously not happy with it and I don't think you ever will be. You havent had it that long either... not much time to fix it up to give it that wow factor youre looking for. Ive had mine almost three years now starting out with a $250 truck that was caked with an inch of tree sap and ran like crap. But after three years and not much if any of a budget, it is getting to that point. You can't expect miracles, especially if you can't spend much money on it. You have the first step beat... getting it running good. Now its time to add your personal touch to it by fixing it up cosmetically and making upgrades... just don't get pissed about it if it don't happen overnight! After three years I have mine running good, Ive made a few upgrades, and have more on the backburner. I got it running good first, and justdrove it for a while till I discovered this site... since then Ive bought a second Comanche parts truck with 5 speed trans and 4:10 gears and 4x4... which is all getting swapped into mine, Ive added cold air intake, flowmaster exhaust, electric cooling fan, Ive added a Waggoneer grille, and have ready to install power window and lock doors with movable vent windows. I also swapped the power steering and AC from the donor truck, made custom rear bumper brackets to install a cherokee rear bumper, and I'm in the process of making a rear hitch for it. There are a million things you can do to make it your own if you want to. Just quit bitchin about it or sell it to someone who treat it the way it deserves!

soapbox.gif

Mike, part of owning an MJ is knowing you have a "getting rare" vehicle, and whipping it back into shape over time so you can have it in the future is part of the fun. But, as said, it takes time and lots of elbow grease, and you have to like doing that stuff.

Hopefully what I and others have done to our MJ's over time will encourage you. Here is my story.

I paid more for mine than yours about 9 years ago now, and it was covered with a coat of "I needed a stiff brush to get it off" green "mildew stuff" that wetness causes to grow. I scrubbed for days and days. It sat in the back of a used car lot with windows partway down in the rain, so the interior was wet. I had to pull the interior out and dry it out for days. I had to scrub and scrub the carpet and use mildew killer and all kinds of stuff on it. Had to do this to the floorboards also. The bench seat back had a hole wearing it it, probably the PO's belt would rub, but not real bad so let it go for now. The seat was broken down where the driver sat so while I had it out drying I shoved stuff between the springs and the foam of the drivers area so I was not sitting in a hole. It's still like that. I want to get it fixed and covered, but that has to wait. Just recently the hole was getting big enough that I found some maroon cloth that matched quite well, took the seat out, and my dear wife fixed the hole and even used yarn to match the white squares pattern. Looks much better.

Thankfully the floorboards were not rusted. A big plus.

I put it back together after a month of scrubbing and drying, and now it looked presentable. No rust on the body except for very light surface stuff, so did a few days of going over it by sanding to bare metal, priming, and hitting with touchup. Now it was looking pretty good. Used clear coat rubbing compound about 4 times over the whole body and gave it several coats of wax. Now it was looking good! I have owned it a few months by now, and has not been driven. Only had about 50 bucks in material into it at this time, but lots of time and elbow grease!

The roof liner was hanging down, so I used wide plastic house blinds to hold it in place and it was that way for many years. Then, we moved from Washington State to Missouri. There went the bucks saved to address what I say below.

It had 240,000 on a 2.5 when I bought it and it was a gutless wonder. It wandered around on the road because it needed a steering gear (manual). Could not afford much more at that time so just kept her clean and shiny as I stored away some bucks for the pricey stuff. I did put a gear in it before the move, so it was 2 years after getting it that I could afford it. It was five years before the engine was so tired it needed the work, so did everything except the actual overhaul, and it got new clutch, slave cylinder, transmission seals, u-joints and all that stuff at that time.

Last time I put tires on I brought the wheels home, sanded them thoroughly and repainted them, putting new center caps on at that time. I look and look for used parts, like arm rests and stuff to replace the broken ones. I just recently got the roof liner fixed.

Anyway, it takes time, but once its up and running decent and looking decent, you got an MJ!

Gotta run! Time to start a class I lead!

:nuts: I've tried fixing up the same Rig i was driving :fs1: several time's in the past i can safely say it never work's :thumbsup: the story never end's well for said vehicle :waving: :ack: normally . . .

Vehicle either end's up scrapped or spending the rest of it's day's parked on the back slowly rotting away then hauled off when it collapses apon itself :doh: . . .

It's happened to me many times over the year's in order of importance if this was to become a restoration vehicle then it would still be way down on the list when would surely be junk by the time i get to it . . .

I have no idea this truck's fate, but the longer it stay's running the better it's chances of survival are jamminz.gif Unlike most this isn't fun Vehicle its my daily transportation :thumbsup: it don't work i don't ;) it goes down and stays down to long it'll be replaced :(

Mike

Mines a daily driver also. Every now and then I park it for a week and clean it up, take care of any chips, etc on it, and generally spruce it up. But, I drive it every day.

Mike, does yours have some serious body rust issues or mechanical problems that will cost a lot to fix and are beyond your expertise? Gotta admit, that is when they become not a lot of fun.

I am fortunate in I am able to keep mine garaged when not being driven, and I do avoid driving it when the salt is on the roads. I drive our other vehicle (wife is retired, so I can). Can you? Thats a big help for older vehicles.

My truck is rusty, and gets driven in the salt it's most important job is done during the salty season . . . Mechanically well it run's good and is mechanically sound tho the soft parts had a little tizzy a while back after replacing several 100 dollars worth of parts it now runs good once more . . .

Nothing i can't fix but with it being my daily transportation there is no way it can e pulled from the road long enough to get any of the rust repair done, if i piece meal it what was once repaired will be rotten again by the time it's all ready for paint . . .

This truck took the place of my 95' GMC's Daily driver spot, even if i can get the 95' K2500 up and going again the 6.5 diesel won't be daily driven at least not during the wintery salty season it start's hard in the cold and firing up a frozen diesel just to drive to the other side of the road and shut it off leads to failures and break down's . . .

So as you can see the Comanche is getting used in and during the worst times for an automobile started and stop at -15*F to +15*F driven in snow slush and salt . . .

It would be nice if the old 6.5er would run year round everyday, but i can't afford the payments and its break downs so the last time it broke down i bought the Jeep as a back up vehicle . . . sure enough the 6.5 broke down again so towed it out to the farm and unburied the Jeep and been driving it . . .

So no there is no back up for the jeep it must live or die sink or swim it is the last chance point of no return Vehicle it fail's i'm in a box under the over pass . . . So far it's been a great ali but i have got to find a way to fix the rust or it won't be around but 5 years maybe then it'll be to rotten to save and by 7-9 years it'll be to rotten to drive . . .

Jeep ain't the only sacrificial lamb the 1962 GMC was driven in several salty winter's and now has the gapping wholes in the body to prove it, I'd rather let the Jeep take the salt bath hit then my 30-50 year old truck's but know they too have done it ! lived it ! and where lucky enough to survive it ! . . .

Mike

Outside of the off topic discussion that is on here, this takes the cake for the dumbest thread I have read yet. Sell the truck and quit your bitchin. :redX: Orrrrr do like the majority do on here and make it your second vehicle. I am sure I missed something, like you are a 4 time cancer survivor or something that will make me look like an @$$, but you sound like a pity me kinda guy, maybe I am wrong. Your choices in life got you to where you are now, with a broken down 95 pickup and an old jeep(and a whole list of old junk in your sig). Like it has been mentioned, sell the truck or quit bitching on here. Sorry after wasting the time to read though this post I had to post something.

Well, Mike, guess ya just gotta get a clean MJ to be your not boring one, and let this one be your workhorse. :thumbsup: When it dies, give it a good burial (strip good stuff first and save it for your pretty one ;) ) but keep your clean one for non salty times! :yes:

I would be curious to know how this part of the story ends. Talk about a small world. :dunno: