new owner help

So i am looking at a 87 4x4 comanche and need some help from you guys. First problem with it is the guy has removed all the wiring. He said it was in bad shape. So my main question is how hard would this be to replace. I would think it would be that much with no ecu or anything.

Are there any other things besides rust that i should look for. Thanks for all your help.

paul

What motor and trans? Is it 4x4? was the complete wiring harness pulled if so it can be a pain to replace cause doing wiring sucks on anything. How much is he asking for it if you don't mind caus ethat may play a role in if its worth it or not. Good luck.

Cole

Well he said everything in the cab was pulled out. i still have not seen it but i have a few friends that have the harness to replace it with so i know that will help out.

i was told it has v6 5 speed manual 4x4. its lifted with 35 on it. it looks like its in rough shape but not to bad. i will know more once i go see it. the guy only wants 100 for it so thats why i was thinking about getting it.

paul

Got mine for ahundred and it was alot of work but if it keeps it alive thats great. Also you will have a parts truck if you get another Mj to go with it with the money you save. :brows: Go for it and post up pics and all the specs when you get but look good for rust on the floorboards and rear fenders.Good luck to you and your purchase. Keep us informed

Cole

if it is a V6 then it would be an 86. I6 is what came in the 87s. correct me if i am wrong for some reason. maybe an early year 87 came with the V6? but i thought they were only 86 engines. the V6 can have major problems with it besides just having no more power then the 2.5 I4. GM could not fix the problems with it so they sold it to AMC. if you could look at it and tell us what kind of shape it is in yourself or get pics that would help. it would also help if you got the enigne type for sure and then what tranny and stuff. but for 100 bucks it would be a great parts truck if the body is in decent shape.

Alex

Heck if the body is decent enough you could go ahead and do A 4.0 swap but the 86s will have clearance issues IIRC but i think a few have done it. Plus all the wires are pull so you have to put a new harness in neways. 8)

Cole

Heck if the body is decent enough you could go ahead and do A 4.0 swap but the 86s will have clearance issues IIRC but i think a few have done it. Plus all the wires are pull so you have to put a new harness in neways. 8)

Cole

a 4.0 swap into an 86 is not a problem for the later yeared ones when they were getting ready for the 4.0L. but if it would be an earlier yeared 86 then his best bet would be the 3.4L cameo engine, straight bolt in replacement. only takes a few mods for it to go in.

Alex

well that is the 2.8L. so that means it is an 86. but here is the thing that gets me. it has some oddities to what my 2.8 looked like. i don't know if he has just done some work to it (which is very likely with the 2.8) or that is factory. and yes i am not that dumb that i think it looks different because of the electrical stuff missing. here is a few pics of mine:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

the main thing i notice is the look of the air cleaner housing. with a few other oddities. but it is a 2.8 and i think he has just done work to it. maybe ask him what all he has done to it just so you know. one problem with that housing is the air intake. there is none and the hole for the intake tube is not in the right spot. so it would not breath real well like that unless you took it back to stock or did a custom thing to it.

Alex

The air cleaner in the first pic, is off a different Cheby.

It was meant to 'face' the opposite way. that square black thing is a breather element. It should have a hose running to the passenger side valve cover, if it was on the correct motor.

If you're not too picky about stuff, my 86 runs off of only a few essential wires. :D (most of the ones you see don't do anything) Previous owner removed the dash due to a wire fire and never put it back. Ran a couple wires to get it moving around the farm and that was it. I bought it and added a few more so the wipers and turn/brake lights worked and even added the speedo. Runs good enough for what I need out of her. :D

the main thing i notice is the look of the air cleaner housing. with a few other oddities. but it is a 2.8 and i think he has just done work to it. maybe ask him what all he has done to it just so you know. one problem with that housing is the air intake. there is none and the hole for the intake tube is not in the right spot. so it would not breath real well like that unless you took it back to stock or did a custom thing to it.

Alex

No wires, no AC, and no vacuum lines I think is what makes it look so different. And the bling.

Definitely find our what's been done to it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

hey wiring is never hard just frustrating. :headpop: iff you can read schemeies and can take your time you can do it. but know when to stop and take 5 if you get agrivated. besides we are always here to help. jamminz.gif

bill

Well, by looking at the pictures the truck appears to be a shortbed which means it can't be a 1986 because all 1986 Comanches are longbeds. The shortbed wasn't offered until 1987, but the front header panel and hood prop look like they're from a 1986. The emblem on the fender is from 1987 and up too. The 1986 Comanche fender emblems are different. They are written in all caps and are bigger. Specific to 1986 Comanches only. I would say the truck is a 1987. The owner must have put the V6 in it. The only real way to tell is to look at the VIN. That will tell you what motor it had originally and what year it is. Hope this info helps.

lookin at the actual 2.8 serpentine and the one in those pics... definately different pulley system?

I don't think the 2.8L V6 ever came with a serpentine belt setup in the Cherokee or Comanche. They all had V belts. That might not even be a 2.8L V6. It's hard to tell.

lookin at the actual 2.8 serpentine and the one in those pics... definately different pulley system?

I don't think the 2.8L V6 ever came with a serpentine belt setup in the Cherokee or Comanche. They all had V belts. That might not even be a 2.8L V6. It's hard to tell.

I started argueing with myself too. Looks like the distributor's in the same location (a hidden one behind the air filter).

thats what i was thinking... i know the 2.8 was a v-belt but his is most definately a serpentine... so unless he's got some conversion on it doesnt seem to be a factory 2.8