Pennsylvania registration on a MJ?

shelbyluvv

PA folks,

when you registered your MJs with PennDot are they registered as cars or trucks? I am getting ready to get mine street legal and I was told it is considered a car like the XJ is.

Is this right? :nuts:

It will be registered as a truck just like mine is.

and just to make sure......yes, truck (and you'll pay the extra reg fees associated with that too :yes: )

When we moved down here to VA and I re-registered mine, they gave me passenger car plates. I rolled with them for several years (cheaper) until I went SOA.....and exceeded max bumper height regulations. Went back to DMV, gave them the GVWR on it and got "truck" plates, which gave me an extra few inches in bumper height allowance.

Not sure if PA is the same on height regs, but I'd wager it's similar. Check PA State Police website to make certain, if it's a concern for your rig.

Enjoy PA :ack:

Jeff

and just to make sure......yes, truck (and you'll pay the extra reg fees associated with that too :yes: )

When we moved down here to VA and I re-registered mine, they gave me passenger car plates. I rolled with them for several years (cheaper) until I went SOA.....and exceeded max bumper height regulations. Went back to DMV, gave them the GVWR on it and got "truck" plates, which gave me an extra few inches in bumper height allowance.

Not sure if PA is the same on height regs, but I'd wager it's similar. Check PA State Police website to make certain, if it's a concern for your rig.

Enjoy PA :ack:

Jeff

If it's titled as a truck the state won't let you put anything but a truck plate on it.

Thanks everyone for the correct answer. I knew PennDot was wrong this time.

I thought you were moving to Cali? :hmm:

Pete, I am moving to Cali. Being active duty military I am allowed to keep my vehicles registered in my home of record, which is PA.

This will save me from getting them smogged for 3-4 years before I retire. I also do not have to pay the crazy fees Cali wants to register a car every year.

FYI, some states (like WI), want to tell you that you have to register as a class B if you intend to pull other vehicles with it. so, DON'T mention any towing that you may do with it, and make damned sure they register it class A.

stupid wisconsin.

Thanks everyone for the correct answer. I knew PennDot was wrong this time.

If you look on your PA title under Body Type it will say TK which means Truck.

FYI, some states (like WI), want to tell you that you have to register as a class B if you intend to pull other vehicles with it. so, DON'T mention any towing that you may do with it, and make damned sure they register it class A.

stupid wisconsin.

In PA they go by numbers instead of letters. Like Weight Class 1, 2, 3, Etc. If you don't plan on hauling much with the truck you're allowed to lower the Registered GVWR to 5,000 Lbs which is the lowest you can go and that is Weight Class 1. That's what mine is registered under and the registration fee is $58.50 a year.

If you look on your PA title under Body Type it will say TK which means Truck.

In PA they go by numbers instead of letters. Like Weight Class 1, 2, 3, Etc. If you don't plan on hauling much with the truck you're allowed to lower the Registered GVWR to 5,000 Lbs which is the lowest you can go and that is Weight Class 1. That's what mine is registered under and the registration fee is $58.50 a year.

I have a Georgia title...

It will be re-titled using a messenger service (PJs Auto Tags) in PA.

I did not know about being allowed to lower the GVWR. Thanks.