98 xj...parts or fixable?

JeepcoMJ

just over a year ago, I found this 98 xj in town...all smashed up, the owner wanted $1300 for it. I said no way, call me back when you're more realistic. well, he called back this past friday and wanted $600. I said maybe, but I'd have to look closer...called back and we've agreed on $450.

it's a 98 4.0 5 speed (external slave) np231 (sealed output) 29 spline 8.25, 4x4, 3.07's. all power, cruise, tilt, air only thing it doesn't have is heated seats. 1000 miles ago it got a new radiator, h20 pump, radiator hoses, heater hoses, and thermostat. it runs GREAT and drives good considering the bent front axle.

it was hit pretty hard up front. the bumper is pushed 1.5" to the passenger side. the top and bottom of the frame rails are square, and measurements show they're in the proper spots. the sides, however, of the rail on the drivers side, are rippled. the steering box is tilted toward the driver's side by around 15 degrees. looking at it, the lower bolt holes got divoted in on the frame rail, but the top bolt hole for the steering box is still in the proper location. I think I can straighten it with a winch and a hammer to tap and relieve stress to realign the molecules. then perhaps reinforce it with a inner and outer frame plate. the front axle is bent, too...but I'm not going to cry about that.

it also got hit in the rear left quarter at some point, and there are a couple ripples where the rear liftgate mounts to the roof, and one on each side in front of the rear side windows. so it's not a "restoration" type jeep...it would be a beater. the body is, luckily, still square. all of the doors seal and close.

I'll post the pics below, but basically I'm wondering if you would strip and scrap it, or if you would toss the 4.5" lift I have laying around, with the 3.73 axles I have in it, 31's, and beat on it. my wheeling truck is getting stripped and rebuilt this summer, so I won't have a wheeling rig unless I do this.

I like the fix it and drive it while fixing the other truck route, that way youre not out a ride. Nice buy too!

Thanks. I haven't bought it yet...that's another part that's up in the air. I don't want to spend much right now, but I know it's a deal.

I already have a driver, so I'm good on that. it's just convenient that this thing is already dented a little bit...so that I don't have to give a crap about damaging the body.

If i'm not mistaken wouldnt that 5 -speed in the newer body style be possibly the nv3550 trans?.. and if it is and you would like to part it out, deffinetly get ahold of me :yes:

only 2000-2001. this is an external ax15.

again, I'm not parting it to sell things...the only thing that *may* get sold is the motor, rear doors, and xj-specific interior, because I have a built 4.0, or it would go in the 3800.

I would strip it down and junk the unibody. That's pretty bad frame damage considering the power steering bolt holes are sleeved, connecting the inside and outside of the frame. I doubt you'd ever be able to straighten it out correctly, even with a frame puller.

Now if it had been the passenger side, I would have said "go for it!".

Can't really see the damage too well from the pics Pat. Once you get it home and get the chance to yank the old box, you should take some pics then.

As far as front axle goes, that one at LKQ was a steal for that low of a price and it would be the "correct" axle to put back in this one...

why not just work on your 87? this is just another project on top of the other projects you already have. you will never get anything done on anything.

That's that I said. Or use the money for this on the '87. This will just turn into a money pit too...

Rob L. :smart:

again, I'm not parting it to sell things...the only thing that *may* get sold is the motor, rear doors, and xj-specific interior, because I have a built 4.0, or it would go in the 3800.

Good to hear that. Keep your promise to only sell to your local yokels and don't get your a$$ overloaded with too many projects again. Just some friendly advice to prevent future problems. :cheers:

rob, wade, I want to wheel this summer. the plans for the 87 are some pretty hardcore fab, that I don't have time or tools for right now. it will be a slow buildup.

I am SICK of having that thing break on me every time I drive it. I know I drive like a jackass, but I don't care...I built it so that I could. then I went and put 35's on it and now it can't handle it. I just can't deal with all the constant "oh crap now what am I gonna do" stuff, which is why I have the 90 eliminator as a DD, plus a company van as my "weekend backup".

the xj would be a two or 3 weekend fix, I have a complete 4.5" front lift, I have a front axle, and gears for a rear axle to match the front. I have 31" tires, and I have a spare '99 driver's fender, bumper, and header. the only thing I don't have for it are rear springs. minimal investment, added to the fact that it already has some dents, results in low-cost beater weekend wheeler that I don't care about, and won't invest more money in. I would wheel it until the end of summer, when the 87's body and fab work is done, then strip it and get what I want out of it for parts.

Don, thanks. I agree with you 100%, and have been living by those rules for quite awhile now.

-Pat

why do you need to drop it to make it "work"?

you are pretty much the same height as me and mine "works" well with 33s.

because I'm already trimmed like a mofo on it, and 33's look too small now.

reguardless, looks like my dad needs a DD a.s.a.p. because the diesel is now on 3 cylinders, so this will probably be his.