Crazy in Huntsville Today

HOrnbrod

My daughter's Biology professor at the University of Alabama - Huntsville, whom she knows well and is her favorite professor, went berserko today during a faculty meeting, pulled a gun, and killed three other Biology professors and critically wounded another three. The campus is in lockdown and my daughter can't come home. Details are still coming out, but it appears this female professor was denied tenure this morning, and she showed up at the afternoon faculty meeting and started blasting away. Her husband has also been arrested. Damn.............

:eek: Yea, I heard this on tonight's news :eek:

Hope your daughter is :peek:

Ya know.

Yea, all that because the professor didn't get any recognition :nuts:

Well........she got her 15 minutes of fame now :shake:

Let us know when the coast is clear and your daughter is home ;)

She called and they said they would let everyone go at 8:00PM. That's freeking great - we had about 3" of snow today and the roads are still pretty slick. My daughter had a class this morning with the shooter and is kind of upset. The cops even questioned her about how the Professor acted in her class. You see this crazy stuff happening all over but never think it's going to happen where you live...

I hope she is going to be OK.

If your daughter was close to this professor she will need to take some time to decompress (and digest) what has occured. It can manifest itself in some really random ways if she trys to stuff it away somewhere.

Yeah Jake, she was kind of close - been talking the daughter after she got home tonight and didn't really know how close she was. This Prof always used to hug her and encourage her, helped her with homework after hours, and she's completely buffaloed how this happened. The Prof was a Harvard grad, has two kids of her own in high school, and her husband is also a vested Professor at UAH. Perfect family record. My daughter is an Army ROTC nursing student about to be commissioned if she gets thru LDAC at Fort Lewis this summer, and I've always considered her tough, but she is as confused about how this could happen as well as we all are.

I can't even remember any incidents regarding a female shooter like this, there had to be some serious problems going on internally with her. I'm sure more details will come out as time goes on...........

She called and they said they would let everyone go at 8:00PM. That's freeking great - we had about 3" of snow today and the roads are still pretty slick. My daughter had a class this morning with the shooter and is kind of upset. The cops even questioned her about how the Professor acted in her class. You see this crazy stuff happening all over but never think it's going to happen where you live...

she had a class with the shooter? :nuts:

What a crazy story - I've been reading as much as I can about it on the news. I spent high school growing up in Huntsville and the Florence area. Have a lot of friends who went to UAH, and some that had classes at various times with the shooter and victims. Talking to a few of them, the shooter definitely sounds like she had issues bubbling under the surface - could be the world's greatest teacher one day, then on edge the next and prone to long outbursts in class about others in the department, her research, funding, etc. But of course, no one ever imagined anything like this coming from her.

I'm very glad your daughter is safe. Just a horrible tragedy for everyone to deal with, and definitely not something you'd see coming in a place like Huntsville.

I actually hadn't heard about this until I read your thread. That's just insane. I just don't understand how people can go so ape$#!& crazy that they can do something like this... especially to people who didn't cause their "problem" in the first place.

Glad your daughter is ok.

Yeah, lots of stuff flying around now. She's originally from Mass and while attending Harvard there she accidently killed her brother with a shotgun in front of her mother twenty years ago. My daughter says she was up and down emotionally and was supposedly being treated for a bipolar condition. This is (was) a quiet peaceful university......

Yeah, lots of stuff flying around now. She's originally from Mass and while attending Harvard there she accidently killed her brother with a shotgun in front of her mother twenty years ago. My daughter says she was up and down emotionally and was supposedly being treated for a bipolar condition. This is (was) a quiet peaceful university......

I'd say there is going to be a lot of question as to just how "accidentally" this was. According to what I read (and, of course, we all know "the media" are infallible) she shot her brother three times. You don't do that by accident. And apparently the police chief called off the investigation and labeled it an accident before his investigators had a chance to even start looking into to it. That chief is now retired and, naturally, denies there was any cover-up.

I am extremely sorry for what your daughter is going through. Bad enough to be on that campus, worse to have had that prof, and still "more worser" to have felt close to her. It has to be a shock. I would encourage you to encourage your daughter to keep talking it out with you and your wife. It's going to be difficult for her to integrate.

Minor update: She fired three shots when she killed her brother, but only one hit him:

BRAINTREE, Mass. (AP) - An Alabama university professor accused of fatally shooting three colleagues at a faculty meeting this week shot her younger brother dead at their home in the Boston suburbs more than 20 years ago, but records of it are missing, police said Saturday.

Amy Bishop shot her teenage brother in the chest in 1986, Braintree police Chief Paul Frazier said at a news conference. Bishop fired once into a wall, then shot her brother, then fired a third time into the ceiling and fled with the shotgun before police took her into custody at gunpoint, he said.

Before Bishop, who was 19 at the time, could be booked the police chief back then called officers and told them to release her to her mother, Frazier said. The shooting of the brother, Seth Bishop, an 18-year-old accomplished violinist, was logged that day as a "sudden death" and later considered accidental, but detailed records of the shooting have disappeared, Frazier said.

"The report's gone, removed from the files," he said.

This is an exerpt. I found several longer articles on the topic. It rather appears this woman is a somewhat brilliant nutcase who can't handle having things not go her way.

She must have been good with guns. She calmly shot at and hit six people, killing three and wounding the another three with a 9mm pistol. And not just random blasting; she got the people she was after. Sounds bad I know, but I'm glad she went after her fellow faculty members and not the students. I just wonder what her husband did through all this and how he lived all those years with this freak. Surely there had to be signs of severe mental problems. The trial is going to be a media circus, and she'll probably be put away forever in a nuthouse somewhere and live happily ever after..........

Another report I read said students described her as "intelligent but awkward." I know I'm going way out on a skinny limb here and extrapolating from other people I have known personally, but I'd venture a guess that she is highly intelligent but so out of touch with common sense and "people skills" that it would have been difficult to notice anything abnormal because her behavior was probably what most of us would consider abnormal anyway.

I'll also venture to guess that she really went off the deep end. Apparently she ditched the gun in a ladies room after the shooting and then called her husband to come pick her up -- and didn't even mention the shooting to him. And when the police arrested her, she said "It didn't happen, they are all alive."

It's said that there's a very thin line between genius and insanity. She may just have crossed the line.