anyone here run SOA and 31's?

Trying to decide on whether I should SOA (doesn't that net like 5+ inches lift?) the MJ or stay SUA and replace the springpacks and use an AAL (for maybe 2" and spacer the front to match). Is a SOA too much lift for 31's?? Any pics would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yeeesh....that does look bad :D Think I'll stay SUA for now and go with the 31's (just need to bumpstop a bit). 33's may happen down the road, long after I stop worrying about keeping it "restored" (sorry Eagle!)

Thanks all!

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this site, but I must say, LOL you all must have money to burn buying lifts and all. I run 31's on 15x8' with 3 inch back spacing. and have very minimal if any rubbing.... of course I have a swazaw to..... the posibilitys are endless..

perhaps they just like more ground clearance. Trust me when I say that these folks aren't a stranger to a Sawzall. There are some pretty extreme rigs on here, and they go places that a stock suspension truck couldn't. It's not just about tires, but articulation also.

Not counting the transmission and transfercase (which I bought several years before the build), I actually *made* a little money on the build by parting out the 78 Bronco I had purchased for the axles. How's that for a budget-build? :D I've since passed that monetary mark with all the improvements I've made in the last year (rollbar, rocker guards, etc), but even then they were all built on a tight spending limit. Make friends with local welder owners and 4x4 enthusiasts, check out the classifieds on Jeep sites and ebay for used parts and tires, do extensive research (research is free :D ) on what parts you need to build the 4x4 you want ('cause the fastest way to waste money is to do something twice), have patience and stay focused. Most importantly, don't think that you need the absolute biggest tire you can find since costs go up practically exponentially with tire size. It's not always all about the lift, but rather bringing the truck back home under it's own power.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Custom. Rocker guards are easy to make (though not mine specifically). Take 2x2" 3/16" wall tube and cut your guards and the connections to the frame. Get your hands on some 3/16" plate (maybe 3x5" wide) to place between the 2x2 and the frame to spread out the forces. I did three connection bars per side. We have an extra foot of wheelbase over an XJ so I feel the third leg helps spread out the forces. Spreading out the forces is very important since our frames are made of sheetmetal. find yourself a skilled welder because welding thick metal to thin takes some experience. Some guys like the guards tucked up against the body, others prefer to be able to use the guards as a step when the truck is stuck in the mud or to keep tree trunks that much further from the paint. Also notice that I didn't mention bolting anythning to the pinch seam as many XJ guards do. I can't. There simply isn't any steel left. My rockers are held together with the bed liner I hit them with years ago. And even if I did have perfect rockers, I certainly wouldn't drill holes through them! :shock:

Jeep on!

--Pete

Pete I agree iwth your statement about bringing your jeep home in one piece :D But since I went to Tellico last April, I have learned (bought) a trailer and tow rig to make sure Imake it home under my own power :twisted:

I also agree with you on welding your rock rails on. I have to remake, mine, cause I had used 3/8 self tappers to attacth mine, anf they have since pulled out :? I had used 4 per moutning plate, with 3 mounting plates per side. I also used a picnh seam mounting point. It is still in place and holding up well. The pinch seam mounting point also makes it easier to build them, and for mock up purposes.

As for where to find pics of my rig

http://community.webshots.com/user/cj7xjmj

And here is where to find some video as well

http://besrk.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

Patrick

If you're looking for the toughest guards possible, I cut holes and put the connection bars *through* my frame and have force-spreading plates on both sides of the frame. There are no welds to pry apart, no screws to pull out, the only way for the bars to move is if the connection bar itself bends. :D It was a little tricky to do, but I like overkill. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

Pete I like your through the frame design :D I also like the way you turned your tubing sideways. I almost did that, but since my rig was all ready damage in the lower rockers, I figured what for :?

I cut my bed to add in the rear to add rear rock rails, plus the rear of my bed was bashed in pretty bad. The departure angle on the MJ's sucks to put it mildly. So if you go crawling, or trail riding protect the rear, with rails, and taillight guards. The local j-yards don't have any MJ's left with tailights cause of me :wink:

I rotated the guards for the uniqueness of the look, the extra strength of the added weld bead and welds being in more than one plane, as well as it allowed me to tuck it up as close to the body as possible.

Jeep on!

--Pete