Roll Bar Pictures and Descriptions

Let me start by saying I have searched this topic quite a bit. While the factory bars are almost extinct, bars from Dakotas (1st generation), Rangers, S10s, etc., seem to work.

Would those who have any type of roll bar (stock or otherwise) be willing to share pictures and descriptions? It would help those of us trying to decide how to get bars if we want them.

One note - it would probably help in the description to confirm SWB or LWB. Sometimes, pictures are chopped off, and it is hard to distinguish between the two.

Thanks.

CW, that's not like you to leave that one forward leg stubbed off like that w/o a flange. :D Doesn't look like your normal super stellar fab work mate. :cheers:

I didnt, I was lookin' for more pics... :D I think I have them all in there now...

CW

Thanks to all for the information. This is just what my son and I needed. I hope it helps others.

Hopefully, we'll get even more pictures and descriptions.

89eliminator, how did you resolve the bar being too wide and the wheel mounts being the wrong angle?

Thanks to all for the information. This is just what my son and I needed. I hope it helps others.

Hopefully, we'll get even more pictures and descriptions.

89eliminator, how did you resolve the bar being too wide and the wheel mounts being the wrong angle?

I replied over on JeepForum where you posted first... 8)

OEM SWB

img5425.jpg

img5428.jpg

img5431o.jpg

img03086235160.jpg

Nice job, the bends conform well, but it just doesn't look right w. the 1.5" tubing. :roll:

I agree, the thick tube does look better, but what's funny is his, being DOM, is probably stronger than all of the ones made from 3" "exhaust pipe".

Blue XJ, I like how you ran the tube between the bed and cab. I have a couple questions though. Do you have any cross support between the bars? Being that tall, some extra support would be a good idea, maybe an "X". Also, are there any rubbing problems as the frame flexes?

I've been working on a cage/roll bar design myself, but I want to lose as little bed room as possible. This may just be a solution :hmm:

EDIT: I just saw you had a full interior cage, guess the cross support isn't a big deal in your case :cheers:

This is a shot in the dark, but does anyone have experience using a Chevy Colorado roll bar like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Colorado-GMC-Canyon-Black-Off-Road-Roll-Bar_W0QQitemZ250571237198QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a5735a74e

The measurements that are provided work for my SWB. Have no idea about the proper height or angles of the fender well mounting plates, though.

Nice job, the bends conform well, but it just doesn't look right w. the 1.5" tubing. :roll:

I agree, the thick tube does look better, but what's funny is his, being DOM, is probably stronger than all of the ones made from 3" "exhaust pipe".

Blue XJ, I like how you ran the tube between the bed and cab. I have a couple questions though. Do you have any cross support between the bars? Being that tall, some extra support would be a good idea, maybe an "X". Also, are there any rubbing problems as the frame flexes?

I've been working on a cage/roll bar design myself, but I want to lose as little bed room as possible. This may just be a solution :hmm:

EDIT: I just saw you had a full interior cage, guess the cross support isn't a big deal in your case :cheers:

I think it looks just fine with 1.5" and other than Pete's, I'm sure its stronger than any of the other ones on here. I built it for a purpose, plus, I'm not a fan of the big tube look either, too bulky and would interfere with my truck box.

I do not have a cross bar between them on the outside. However, there is a matching b-pillar hoop on the inside of the cab and it does have a seat belt bar going across from side to side.

I don't have any rubbing issues, at least none that I can tell. Its welded to my rock rails which are welded to the frame, and the down bars get tied into a piece under the bed that is welded to the frame, its pretty solid. I had to notch the top of the bed side to fit the tube between the cab and bed, and near the bottom, it needed to be 'massaged' with a pry bar to add a little clearance. I can get pictures if needed. Anything bigger than 1.5" would need a good bit of sheet metal clearancing on the lower portion of the bed, since it gets tighter to the cab.

I think it looks just fine with 1.5" and other than Pete's, I'm sure its stronger than any of the other ones on here. I built it for a purpose, plus, I'm not a fan of the big tube look either, too bulky and would interfere with my truck box.

:agree:

Your's is the way to go for both form and function. The bulky, non-functional headache racks are pretty obnoxious.

I don't have any rubbing issues, at least none that I can tell. Its welded to my rock rails which are welded to the frame, and the down bars get tied into a piece under the bed that is welded to the frame, its pretty solid. I had to notch the top of the bed side to fit the tube between the cab and bed, and near the bottom, it needed to be 'massaged' with a pry bar to add a little clearance. I can get pictures if needed. Anything bigger than 1.5" would need a good bit of sheet metal clearancing on the lower portion of the bed, since it gets tighter to the cab.

I'd like to see pictures of how you tied everything together and your clearance between the bed and cab if you don't mind. I'm really contemplating doing something similar after seeing what you did.

Thanks,

Willy

I have a factory roll bar that comes with the pioneer version to the best of my knowledge. The build sheet says that the truck came with one. If someone can point me in the right direction for posting pics I'll gladly post some. I just bought the truck and how you see it is how I bought it.

I like Comanche Club Image Hosting

Free to join and easy to use.

CW

I'd like to see pictures of how you tied everything together and your clearance between the bed and cab if you don't mind. I'm really contemplating doing something similar after seeing what you did.

Thanks,

Willy

Sure thing, if you can wait a couple days I will snap some this weekend. There is not much clearance between the cab and bed at all. Its pretty tight against both of them near the bottom. I'm still trying to decide if its worth it to tie it into the internal cage as well, and if so, how to do that, since both 'cages' are rather tight against the body already.

It took about a 12' piece for that hoop and I think just over 4' for each down bar. I can measure if you want as well, actually, I think I have my note sheet somewhere still that shows the angles of all the bends on the b-hoop as well. :thumbsup: