Rear Suspension/Bed "Thunk"

Hmm, doesn't sound like its normal.

Spare is tight, shocks are new, springs look ok and all exhaust hangars intact.

The leafs are original but look fine, no missing clamps or obviously broken leafs.

There is one intersection that I can re-create the noise everytime if I cross it going over 30 mph, there is an abrupt dip in the road.

Tailgate has some play at the catches, but thats and entirely different noise (more like a rattle). This is a dull "thunk"

Mine did this for a long time ended up being those crappy overload or spring helpers coming loose and walking up the spring set thus making them closer to the body at hitting on certain bumps. Also check the exhaust at the crossmeber known to break the round rod that goes into the bracket and cuase a clunk.

Mine did this for a long time ended up being those crappy overload or spring helpers coming loose and walking up the spring set thus making them closer to the body at hitting on certain bumps. Also check the exhaust at the crossmeber known to break the round rod that goes into the bracket and cuase a clunk.

The overload springs are on the bottom of the springpack. There's no way for the to move unless the centering pin broke, and even if they did walk, they'd fall out of the springpack, and make the axle, well, probably slide back on the spring.

What about the rubber bushings that go in the eyes of the springs, those things tend to wear in one direction & could be hidden by the frame mount.

When i did urethane bushings on mine i wasn't quite able to complete the job before i had to move the truck out of my shop & needless to say it made a very pronounced dull thump just driving it around the parking lot.

What kind of shocks are you running? Mine made similar noises when my shocks were maxing out, they'd clunk when they reached the end of travel just like you're describing. You wouldn't be able to tell if they are reaching the end of travel just pushing up and down on the bumper to test if they are still damping.

What kind of shocks are you running? Mine made similar noises when my shocks were maxing out, they'd clunk when they reached the end of travel just like you're describing. You wouldn't be able to tell if they are reaching the end of travel just pushing up and down on the bumper to test if they are still damping.

I think this could be it. Would better shocks help with it? I have the cheapo Monroe base shocks.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Both of mine do the same thing. One is a LWB and the other a SWB. Both have new shocks and everything is tight underneath. The couple other trucks I have had have don the same thing I chalk it up as a "truck noise".

I think this could be it. Would better shocks help with it? I have the cheapo Monroe base shocks.

"Quality" of shocks isn't what's important here, it's more question of "travel specifications" and "application". The best shocks in the world won't work if they are put in an application where they only have 1" of upwards travel before full extension, and the cheapest shocks you can find will outperform them if their specifications meet the usage demands. I found the stock XJ specs to work quite well with a regular MJ setup, but as soon as I got about 1-2" inches of lift in the rear from MT springs they completely sucked, because I was operating outside of their intended application range.

Post up a part number of the shocks that you're running and any lift in order to help pick out something applicable.

"Quality" of shocks isn't what's important here, it's more question of "travel specifications" and "application". The best shocks in the world won't work if they are put in an application where they only have 1" of upwards travel before full extension, and the cheapest shocks you can find will outperform them if their specifications meet the usage demands. I found the stock XJ specs to work quite well with a regular MJ setup, but as soon as I got about 1-2" inches of lift in the rear from MT springs they completely sucked, because I was operating outside of their intended application range.

Post up a part number of the shocks that you're running and any lift in order to help pick out something applicable.

The shocks I got are from O'reillys Auto Parts, they are the ones spec'd for the Comanche and are the cheapest Monroe available (all white in color). The counter guy said they are for 4x2 or 4x4. I will dig up the part numbers. Currently no lift on the rear, 2wd sagging springs (7-1/4" from top of axle tube to base of bump stop at the frame, 1" below spec). I've got some 4wd (probably sagging too) spring I am going to install tonight that should net about an inch of sagging lift. :rotfl2:

Take them off and go for a ride!! NOT fast mind you, but if the noise is gone... you will know for sure. Handling will be touchy, so don't go far or leave them off long.

CW