Welders whats a good start

sinkrun

What brand and how much would you spend on a mig welder that will be used for floors and sheet metal for a new user. I have done some stick in school but that was many years ago. My dad has a small stcik welder and knows his way around them but never used a mig. Looking for some ideas guys.

I have a Century QuickFix that I'm quite happy with.It's about as cheap as you can get and still have a useable unit. The Hobart's are a little better but cost a little more. You get what ya pay for. If all your gonna do is a little sheet metal repair then just stay with the flux core. If your gonna be doing any exotic, aluminum, stainless, get the bottle. Regardless which one Plan on spending a couple hours practicing. One nice thing about welders is they pretty much hold their value. If you don't like what ya get you can sell or trade it in and get another.

Personally, Hobart was the cheapest, good welder I could fine. I really like mine, kinda wish I had sprung for the 230V unit, but mine has done everything I have asked of it. Millers and Lincoln's are equally good of not better, but cost more. I would stay with one of these brands...

Mine is a Hobart 140 115V. IIRC I paid just under $500 shipped with a cart from Harbour freight tools.

CW

And don't forget to check out Clarke welders :brows:

I picked up a un-used (not in the box) 130EN last spring with a cart for $300 from a guy on CL and it was missing the regulator.......but, I used my old one. {that's how I got him down another $50}

Stick with a 110v unit if you're doing alot of sheet metal, and .023 wire, with gas (Mig) and you'll have alot less problems with burn thru. You can still do 1/4"+ with a 110v unit, it's just a little slower, and you'll need a little extra cycle time. Plus, with a 110v unit, you can take it out of the garage, and not have to worry about finding a 30amp 220v outlet.

Stick with a brand name welder, don't ever think about the junk that HF sells :no:

If you sticked welded, Mig welding is about 60X easier :yes:

Yea, when I learned welding........long time ago......Mig's weren't invented yet :roll:

And it can be done.........very hard, but you can stick sheet metal.

Oh, and cost..........figure around $400-500 for the welder, plus another $125 for the 40 cuft tank, plus wire, hood.......what not. I know my one neighbor bought a Hobart Kit about 2 years ago, and the whole set-up cost him $650.

And don't forget to check out Clarke welders :brows:

I picked up a un-used (not in the box) 130EN last spring with a cart for $300 from a guy on CL and it was missing the regulator.......but, I used my old one. {that's how I got him down another $50}

Stick with a 110v unit if you're doing alot of sheet metal, and .023 wire, with gas (Mig) and you'll have alot less problems with burn thru. You can still do 1/4"+ with a 110v unit, it's just a little slower, and you'll need a little extra cycle time. Plus, with a 110v unit, you can take it out of the garage, and not have to worry about finding a 30amp 220v outlet.

Stick with a brand name welder, don't ever think about the junk that HF sells :no:

If you sticked welded, Mig welding is about 60X easier :yes:

Yea, when I learned welding........long time ago......Mig's weren't invented yet :roll:

And it can be done.........very hard, but you can stick sheet metal.

Oh, and cost..........figure around $400-500 for the welder, plus another $125 for the 40 cuft tank, plus wire, hood.......what not. I know my one neighbor bought a Hobart Kit about 2 years ago, and the whole set-up cost him $650.

But if the junk is cheap enough, it might be worth it. They had a little 95A wire feed on sale for $80 this past summer (parking lot sale), add a 20% off coupon to make it $64, then $20 for an additional two year "even if you hit it with a sledge hammer and break it it's covered" free replacement warranty, and even if it dies 2 years and 91 days later it would have been worth it.

Nice light unit to carry around and use outside, big MIG welder can stay in the basement for fab work. So far it's already been worth it, replacing entire floor pan from back seat to firewall in the Cherokee, as well as some miscellaneous small stuff.

Yeah, it's not the best, but for that price it's disposable.

My Dad and I run with a little Lincoln Electric - I think its a 135 - its an older model, they don't offer it anymore??? Its a 110V and we love it.

Really as long as you get yourself a 110V and its able to MIG, you should be good. Don't just limit yourself to flux-core, big waste of time and money if you ask me. MIG lets you do Aluminum, Stainless, and all kinds of other good stuff.

Once you get a welder you can make your own cart!

If you have 220V service, buy a 220V welder... Even if you don't, consider it.

Maybe you will only ever use it on sheetmetal... But if you're like me, your ambitions will quickly grow from reasonable to near unfeasible, and you will need the extra power. While you can always resell a quality machine down the road and upgrade, I'm not big on wasting time by buying something that is barely adequate to begin with.

I have a Millermatic 180. I'd recommend it. It's quite capable, has a very acceptable duty cycle even on the higher settings, and is not overly large. Also, the spool gun for it is not overly expensive, while would allow me to easily use it for aluminum. I think it cost me under $1000 :Canadaflag: out the door, which included a regulator, bottle, and extra consumables.

I'd also have no issues buying a Lincoln (I have a lincoln stick), or ESAB unit, and I'd buy a Hobart or Clarke if the price was right (which they generally are).

For a cheaper welder I think this will be a good one. I don't know of anyone who owns this yet, but I think I will be buying one. I kinda like having the ability to switch processes. Duty cycle is on par with other machines in the price range.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200395739

Also if you wait you can find them with free shipping, and wait a lil longer price will drop. Price just went up some, which I believe is due to tax season being upon us.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info I did end up going the cheapest route I could. I fiqured 89.00 with a coupon at HF would do anything I need to do and at that price if I find out I can't weld I am not out much. Have yet to try it but dad has lots of scrap and we are going to play around soon. After that is on to the MJ floors.

Thanks for all the info I did end up going the cheapest route I could. I fiqured 89.00 with a coupon at HF would do anything I need to do and at that price if I find out I can't weld I am not out much. Have yet to try it but dad has lots of scrap and we are going to play around soon. After that is on to the MJ floors.

it will take ALOT of practice with the hf welder atleast i did and my welds penatrate nice and look good. you will like it and want better once you figure it out lol. gl with it and have fun