Slightly off-forum but still Jeep

mythreesons

Gents,

The time has come for my wife to get a new-to-her vehicle. Currently she has a 95 Suburban, 4X4, third row seating, rear A/C-heat, leather, and so forth. It is getting up there in miles, 203K, and still runs fine but I want to get her something else before it goes downhill. We don't need that much room, that low gas mileage and in all honesty, it has never been one of my favorite vehicles.

Now that there has been two different MJ's around I am getting very comfortable with the idea of getting her a jeep, but I'm looking at XJ's not an MJ. I'm have been considering the 93-95, 97-2000 model years. ONLY considering the 4.0L, auto or manual (she can drive a stick just fine, grew up with it), and it HAS to have 4X4. With the latest snows and the winds, some of the drifts on our roads were pretty bad. The weather is going to break around here where I can get her out of the house to go look so I have questions:

1) I remember reading here that the 96 year was a switch-over year and the feeling I got was that it should be avoided. What were some of the problems with that model year?

2) What little gotcha's have you guys seen that might be of concern (certain models with known problems)?

3) I already expect to do some work to whatever I get, no car is perfect, but anything I should watch out for that is a "red flag" on an XJ?

Personal to Correy: You going to be around next week? That dealer down by you has got some possibilities.

Scott

xj is an excellent choice, i've had one as a daily driver for a long time, i'm on my third. 96 is not a changeover year, it was the last year of the older style, my current xj is a 96 and i will be driving it for another 130k. honestly 96 would be my preference, its obd2, but 97 on in the new styles got more computerized, and stricter emissions. i would do 91-96 personally, but i hate the direction the automotive industry has taken since around 99 or so.

that being said, the 97 up are very nice.

I have had 2 96xj`s one had over 225k finally died with a electrical problem I could not fix if I would have been on this board then I bet I would have had the help to fix it. I think it had 150k when we bought it. Worst thing I ever replaced was a power steering pump and ware items. The other we still have has around 100k on it wife drives it 300miles a week at least and we have done nothing to it bought it at 85k. I have a 99 with 170k which I put 60k of those on and have not done anything to it but universials twice and ware items. The floors in all three are shot and the 99 has more rust than any but it was a penn dot xj so lots of salt running. The interior on the 97 ups seam a little nicer but I would never be afraid of anything but rusty floors.

96 was the first year of OBDII, and a lot of stuff was changed in 97, so basically, 96 is kind of a standalone year when it comes to the ECU/sensors/wiring.

There's really nothing to look for on an XJ that you wouldn't look for on an MJ. They're essentially the same vehicle. Biggest points are the rust spots under the fender flares and floors.

There's one up at that dealership that IIRC is a 99, two door, 5 speed, 4wd with a lift already on it.

Yeah I'll be around next week. Really don't have anything going on at all until the 23rd, although we will be in Laurie Tuesday morning.

i've had several xjs, mostly 87-90 but currently i have a 99 with 198,000 miles, runs great. biggest problem with it i've had aside from some accident repairs i made when i got it has been a u-joint. if you go with a 97+, try for a 97 or 98. in 99, they had to change some stuff for emissions including the cat, which dropped the power on it. they corrected it by changing the intake, which netted a slight gain of i believe 5hp. putting the 99+ intake on a 91-98 4.0 nets 15hp, so the emissions mods killed 10 hp.

96 was the first year of OBDII, and a lot of stuff was changed in 97, so basically, 96 is kind of a standalone year when it comes to the ECU/sensors/wiring.............................Yeah I'll be around next week. Really don't have anything going on at all until the 23rd, although we will be in Laurie Tuesday morning.

That's what it was, the changeover year to OBDII. I knew there was something, but couldn't remember. Have fun in Laurie. I'll let you know and we'll see if we can get together.

Thanks to everyone so far for your info and insights.

Scott

1) I remember reading here that the 96 year was a switch-over year and the feeling I got was that it should be avoided. What were some of the problems with that model year?

I would avoid both 96 and 97.

96 was the first year for OBD II, but it was the last year of the old body style so they cobbled together a bunch of wires and circuits to implement OBD II as an overlay to the existing OBD I wiring harness. In computer terminology, it was a kludge. 97 was the first year for the new body style, with a totally new wiring harness and a bunch of other stuff that was first time implementation. On the surface, it looks like a minor cosmetic update, but it's a totally new chassis wiring harness, different instrument panel dual airbags for the first time, etc.

I would look for a 1998 through 2001. If you're at all interested in brakes, they were still using the crappy composite rotors in the front until mid-1999, so if I were looking, I'd be looking for a late 99, 2000 or 2001.

As was said the 97 was the first year of the new XJ. 97-99 are some of the best years to get an XJ. I like the electronics on these years better than any other ones. They are extremly easy to work on should a CEL come on. They talk to you.

The 00-01 is a bit of a unique bastard. They got the LP30 front and coil pack ignition, and the dreaded 0331 heads.

I owned a 00 Sport and it was a great Jeep. I still to this day wish I had it. I replace the LP30 with a HP30, replace the coil pack under warranty. The head never cracked and still has'nt. Russ Pottenger from here has it now. It will though, they all do at some point in time.

If I were to buy another XJ as a driver a 97-99 would be the ones I looked at.

Have a 94 4.0 4x2. 265,000 miles. Only work besides wear items; radiator, water pump, starter, c-shaft sensor, diff bearings. Otherwise, all is stock. Makes no noise at oil changes. Front end only needed aligned twice so far. Oh, yea, back up lights don't work and I am not paying what is being asked for that particular switch. Passes inspection w/o it anyway.

I would buy another in a heartbeat, except for the trouble of adults getting in and out of the back seats. So, looking for something with easier back seat entrance/exit.

Well, what did I say? Let me tell you a story.........

.....The time has come for my wife to get a new-to-her vehicle. Currently she has a 95 Suburban, 4X4, third row seating, rear A/C-heat, leather, and so forth. It is getting up there in miles, 203K, and still runs fine but I want to get her something else before it goes downhill. ..........................but I'm looking at XJ's not an MJ. .........

I did go look at several XJ's. Got the wife to drive a couple. She wasn't repulsed. Stated that she really just wanted a reliable vehicle, the XJ would be fine. Take some getting used to after two big suburbans in a row.

So I'm thinking, allright!!!!! Good to go here. Got Geonovast (Correy) to meet us at one place and look a couple over. He has been in a Jeep more than once, so I thought maybe he would have an opinion. Sure enough, he did, in fact he had a couple and they were pretty good. Long story short, didn't buy anything that day (non-hungry car dealer). :huh???:

Look at another place on the way home and the wife sat in a 2001 Grand Cherokee (that's a WJ right?) I'm thinking, I am in heap big trouble. Oh yeah, she just found what she really likes, but would still settle for an regular plain XJ. So we head home to rethink this situation.

Move ahead to a couple of days later.......... I head out to go look by myself. Get in her Suburban and head down the road. First place I look tests my truck and says the rod bearings are about to go out, haven't you heard that noise? Whoa!!!!!!!! Hold all plans!!!!! I'm about thirty miles from home and my truck has decided to start acting up??????? Call my trusty mechanic (got five running vehicles in the driveway so I keep a mechanic busy sometimes), he says hang the phone out the window, let me hear it. Oh yeah, something is about to go in that engine. I can rebuild electronic crap from PCB level, just never been in an engine.

Ok, by now my head is killing me, plus I haven't eaten since last night so I stop in at a McD's to get some fake food and think this over. Start the truck to leave the parking lot and it starts sputtering and bucking like the fuel pump can't get enough fuel to the engine. Thank you truck, you just made my decision for me I'm dumping you before you can dump me.

Go to a local dealer where I was and made a deal on a 2002 Grand Cherokee, 113K, cloth seats (I hate leather and I don't have to deal with seat heaters that burnout). She got home late last night so didn't look at it. Took her for a drive this morning and when we got home she pronounced that I did good, big smooch included. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Total cost to me, a little cash, some frustration, worry, anger, and relief. I was in a bad spot and got out without being hurt. To top it off she is happy. That makes it all worth it.

Scott

Maybe I'll just buy an XJ to play with for myself, but where am I going to park it?

congrats, 2002, 4.0? can't remember exactly when it got the axe. lets see some pics and some more details.

Yes, 4.0. I flat refused to even consider the V-8's. I really do like the the 4.0 engine, sure it has it's quirks, but they are well known and time has proven the design. 113K miles which I didn't feel too bad about considering it's 8 years old. She seems to be pleased with the choice and it's easy on the driver so that leaves me with one little problem..........

Side view

Hmmmmm, this looks suspicious.......

Ah ha!!!! We have found the dirty evil doers!!!!

May be time to thin the herd some.......... :shake: