School me on truck boxes...

I am tossing around the idea of getting a toolbox for my MJ. There is just no room in the cab for anything if someone is ridding shotgun. If I do get one, it must be black, aluminum, and low profile or really even just a chest. I really despise the way toolboxes look especially on mini/midsize trucks. It would be handy for hauling things I want to keep dry. So what are some good brands that make a quality unit that doesn't break the bank? I have actually never had one through all the trucks I have owned...haha. I like the cam-lock style my buddy has but don't know the name. I think right now I am mainly leaning towards a chest that can't be seen above the bed at all.

thanks for any input! -J

You get what you pay for in regards to tool boxes. ;)

You mentioned a chest and that is what I use. I have a Weatherguard Chest but I wanted one in steel as they seem to hold up better to a ton of tools and trail spares. This is what I have and I LOVE it:

wgstchest2.jpg

On my SuperDuty I have a Delta Pro box and it is super nice as well and it is too steel for the same reasons above. This one has a REALLY cool locking mechanism and is really durable. I have had this one for three years now :chillin:

MainImage_DT_DPR_StlSing.jpg

I have owned the cheaper brands of tool boxes and I am super unimpressed (i.e Delta Basic, Husky, Contico, DuraLast, etc). The locking and latch mechanisms are crappy and the aluminum cracks easy with my usual load.

I would HIGHLY recommend NOT getting a low profile alloy tool box like this as there is not enough material to support the weight of the goods stored in there. These can last about 6 months for me and I even stack 2x4s under them to give them added support. The circles are where it cracks (bad).

f9cab13e-71dc-463c-8e3e-4b1f69b990b7_400.jpg

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Check your military surplus. They have ammo cans in various sizes. There strong and weather tight. I found 2 that fits between the front of the bed and the wheel well and doesn't stick out into the bed. I have one on each side of the bed.

I took a look at the weathergaurd chest but, it is a little too tall. the width and length are perfect though. 55" between the bed rails 20" wide, but 19" tall...my bed is only a little over 16" deep. I bet it is going to be tough to find one that will fit right.

I picked up a Cobalt box, so far I like it. Could be a little bigger though, I have a few things that would fit except the linkage for the latch gets in the way. My buddy at work has a cobalt box too, its the older style, with the push button locks. They have seized up and no longer work after a couple winters with the salt on the roads.

here's the one I picked up

I went with a large "SUV" type box (regular boxes wouldn't have fit with the rollbar). Works great for me. :D the store had a smaller one too that should tuck in nicely at the front of the bed and be below the top of the bedrails.

I didn't want an over-the-rail box. After a lot of research, I found a Dee Zee box that was SUPPOSED to sit just below the rails.

When I got the box, it stuck up about an inch. WTF? I measured the height of the Dee Zee box, and it was off by about an inch. So the dimensions on Dee Zee's own website were wrong.

My buddy, who works in a metal shop, said he could cut the bottom off, remove an inch, and reweld it. But I've gotten used to it now. And besides, my jerry can would still stick up above the rails.

It's 46 inches. Part number is 8546B. They also have it in silver, part number 8546.

I was going to center it in the bed, but that would've given me pretty unusable space on either side. So I moved it all the way to one side, so that I could fit the jerry can holder.

ry%3D400

I use just a couple of small boxes bolted to the bed. Room in front of them to stuff a recover strap, and each box has drawers for little stuff to go into. Lots of little stuff....cable ties, fuses, wire, electrical tape, strippers, etc.