Are Rusty's coil spring any good???

I need to know if thier any good. How about their ride? Hard? Soft? Other? Since this is a daily driver I'd actually prefer kinda soft. (hopefully that'll take some of tha bucking out of this thing)

Rusty's is runnin a holiday sale on their 4.5" front coils springs for $100 bucks. If their worth a damn I intend to order some asap. http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... Code=COILS

How bout tha coils Iron Rock sells? Do they make their own or sell somebody elses? Need tha same info as above. Their description says their 20% stiffer than stock but that doesnt tell me anything about thier ride considering I have no idea what a 4x4 MJ is supposed to ride like since tha pre-owner put these stiff a-ss F250 spings under this truck.

Iron Rock is also runnin a holiday deal with free shipping on orders over $100 bucks. Thier 4.5" coils are $129.99

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant ... e=IR-X4FSP

In the end either set of springs ends up costing about tha same shipped to my door.

While we're at it, how bout Rough Country or Superlift coils? Others?

A best to worst list including quality and how they ride would be great!!!

Oh, this might help ...... my MJ has tha 4.0 and I don't intend to put a heavy bumper or winch on it. I don't crawl over rocks or do any hard core offroading.

It's all based on the type of material used and the spring rates that the coils are made to be.

Here is a bit of info on the coil spring rates to help you decide (info provided by each manufacture directly);

OEM XJ Coil - 145

BDS 3" XJ Coil - 240

DPG 5" XJ Coil - 198

OME 930 XJ Coil (aprox 2") - 160

OME 934 ZJ Coil (aprox 3" on XJ) - 180

TeraFlex 3.5" XJ Coil - 170

TeraFlex 4.5" XJ Coil - 200

Rustys 3" XJ Coil - 150

Rustys 3" HD XJ Coil - 180

Rustys 4.5" XJ Coil - 150

Rustys 4.5" HD XJ Coil - 180

Rustys 6" XJ Coil - 180

Rustys 9" XJ Coil - 180

Rubicon Express 3.5" - 241

Rubicon Express 4.5" - 169

Rubicon Express 5.5" - 185

Rancho 2.5" XJ Coil - 235

Skyjacker 3" XJ Coil - 218

RockKrawler 3" - 180

RockKrawler 4.5" - 180

RockKrawler 6" - 180

Motion 3" XJ Coils - 165

Motion 4.5" XJ Coils - 165

Motion 6" XJ Coils - 165

REMEMBER THAT THE COIL SPRING RATE DOES NOT DETERMINE 100% OF RIDE QUALITY!!! IT VARIES GREATLY BASED ON THE SHOCKS YOU RUN!!! NOT TO MENTION CONTROL ARM ANGLES!

I have rusty's 3" 180# coils and love them. admittedly I don't think Rusty was making his own coils way back then. the coating has long since flaked off and they are rusty as all get out, but the coils are perfect for my truck. I have the maximum flex my truck can give. I do have the heavy front bumper which is why I got the 180# variety.

yes I have more than 3" of lift. the ford radius arm setup lifts the coil buckets 2" higher than the stock Dana 30.

I know your not supposed to judge a product by their pix since it may not be a pic of the actual item. now even with that in mind I've noticed differences in some of these spring. That difference being the number of coils the spring has. Some have 9-10 where others have up to 12.

IRON ROCK 4.5" SPRINGS (12 COILS)

OME 4.5" SPRINGS (9 COILS)

My question is which is best? More or less? Seems to me tha less coils you have the more travel they'll have before they bottom out. For my application I don't need the amount of travel you rock crawler need so additional coils likely won't effect me.

Although friends may not let friends buy from Rusty's, out of all tha springs listed they do have the softest spring rate inwhich is close to stock and therefore presumeably tha softest ride. (using close to a stock shock rate)

I need to start somewhere and git something ordered for my truck. Plain and simple which springs are tha best bang for your "low budget" buck??? (for a daily driver doing very moderate offroading)

I know your not supposed to judge a product by their pix since it may not be a pic of the actual item. now even with that in mind I've noticed differences in some of these spring. That difference being the number of coils the spring has. Some have 9-10 where others have up to 12.

You can't judge just from the number of coils. The rate is a function of the number of coils, coil diameter, wire diameter, and free length of the spring. Unless you have all those variables for both springs, you cannot compare them.

I have rusty's 3" 180# coils and love them. admittedly I don't think Rusty was making his own coils way back then. the coating has long since flaked off and they are rusty as all get out, but the coils are perfect for my truck. I have the maximum flex my truck can give. I do have the heavy front bumper which is why I got the 180# variety.

]

So how do they ride??? (on tha street)

Will a 150 lb spring rate be too soft for a 5-6 inch lift? In other words is my truck gonna be too top heavy and suffer in handling and or have excessive body roll? I'm talkin to a point of being dangerous at highway speeds.

Ya know, if you keep in mind that I'll be going from these stiff a-ss F250 4x4 front springs tha pre-owner installed to some springs designed for our trucks just about ANY of um aughta ride better than how it does now. Just picture dropping a bowling ball on tha ground and expecting it to bounce. :shake: Not happenin!!! Thats about what this truck feels like when you drop off a curb or something. I also think tha shocks are too stiff.

Speaking of, can anybody suggest some shocks that are close to tha stock rate but long enough for a 6 inch lift? Thought I read something a while back about Toyota T-100 rears for tha .... rear, but don't remember anything suggested for tha front.

I had very bad luck with Rusty's 3" coils (about 8 years ago now).

They were warped, and down to ~1.5" of lift within a couple of months (really!).

When I took them out they were both noticeably bent.

They were also very soft, and crossed the line of 'too soft' for me (I am running soft shocks, prob would've been OK with stiffer shocks).

I had very good luck with:

Rancho 3" (been in one Jeep, or another for the last 15 years, and have not sagged much at all, they are still stiff tho).

RE 4.5" (XJ) great coils, took the abuse, gave more than advertised lift, were probably 1/2 way between the Rusty's & Rancho's in stiffness (almost perfect, if slightly too soft for me with the soft shocks).

RE 3.5" ZJ coils.

Slightly stiffer, and slightly taller than the 4.5"XJ's.

IMHO the 'perfect' 5" XJ coil.

I like my ft coils somewhat stiff, to balance out with the stiffer rear leaf suspension (stiffer ft coils tend to make the stiff rear leafs do more of the work than soft fts)

RE 5.5" XJ coils,

Stiffer & taller again than the 3.5" ZJ's.

I've had these since 1999, they gave me 6.25", and never seemed to sag much below that.

i have 4-4.5" coils and 2" spacer on mine that are either rusty's or rough country and they work very well. ride good but aren't too soft. my previous xj had re 5.5" springs and they were very soft but i also had a heavy bumper and winch up front. that is something else to think about when getting coils

These are great responses. I have a set of Superlift 3" coils that are a larger diameter and shorter overall length than the OEM ones so I will let you know how they ride as soon as I get my axle installed. I am hoping for a soft ride as well so we'll see!

i had a rustys 4.5 on one xj and rubicons 4.5 on my other...i pefer the rustys for offroad... and the rubicon on the street...both perform well but the rustys seems to do better offroad probably because of a lower spring rate...i think either will do...or any manufacturer at that...it comes down to your shock choice for how it rides.

These are great responses.
:agree: In addition to that I think this would be a good time to thank everybody for your help and for sharing your knowledge and experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one who truely appreciates it. Again ..... THANKS GUYS!!! :bowdown:

Now ........ back to work.

I made some phone calls today to Rough Country, Rusty's and Iron Rock Offroad. While doing so I've now gone from thinking I needed 4.5" springs to knowing I need 6.5's.

After talking to all three, I'm reasonably sure all of their coil springs are made by tha same manufacturer. Iron Rock told me they were positive Rusty's gits theirs from tha same place and that they were pretty sure R/C does too. Of the 3 differnt spring I was asking about, all of um have the same 180 lb rate. Coincidence??? :dunno:

With all of um likely being tha same spring, Rough Country actually has tha best price of $129 bucks.

Unless tha guy at Iron Rock is wrong and R/C springs are made by a different manufacturer and as such are total pcs of cra-p, I think I'm gonna order sum.

With that said you should already know what I'm about to ask. :roll: By not being positive that Rough Country springs are tha same as the other two mentioned and for tha last time to ask about somebodies springs ..... are R/C springs any good??? Forget ride. I think we've established that. Question is do they hold up?

:ack: I don't know about yall but I'm all sprung out. If I can't deside on a set of frickin springs with all this info, then there's definately something wrong with me other than being an MJ owner. :wall: :rotf:

Lucky for yall that I've already desided who's adj arms and track bar I want. :thumbsup: Otherwise that could go on for several pages too. :eek:

BTW, after these springs comes my adj track bar so I can git tha axle centered. No, I don't intend to install tha springs till I have tha bar.

Thanks again everybody.

Robert

they are the same manufacturer IIRC.

when you call rough country, ask for jason. deal ONLY with jason...he's a great guy.

I would NEVER EVER EVER buy anything other than coil springs from Rusty's. I've seen main leafs break, and heard plenty of issues with many of their other products.

-Pat

they are the same manufacturer IIRC.

when you call rough country, ask for jason. deal ONLY with jason...he's a great guy.

I would NEVER EVER EVER buy anything other than coil springs from Rusty's. I've seen main leafs break, and heard plenty of issues with many of their other products.

-Pat

Yeah, I thought so. My guess is several others are tha same as well.

No problem. I'll be sure to ask for Jason. And thanks for tha warning about Rusty's products.

L8R!!!

Robert

I know how you feel about beating a question to death because I am the same way. I hate wasting my money and time and would rather do some research before I make an educated decision about a purchase. That's what this board is for, and thanks to everyone.

On that note I can't wait to get my axle in and drive my truck!

I know how you feel about beating a question to death because I am the same way. I hate wasting my money and time and would rather do some research before I make an educated decision about a purchase. That's what this board is for, and thanks to everyone.

On that note I can't wait to get my axle in and drive my truck!

LOL!!! Thats actually pretty funny. I do tha same thing on a lot of tha stuff I buy. Like most I can only afford to buy something once. Back when I was shopping for a big screen tv I did all kinds of research. So much so that when I walked into one store knowing everything I did about some of their tv's, they though I was a some kind of undercover corprate bigwig coming in to test their sales staffs knowledge on tha products they sell. Frickin cracked me up.

BTW .... That was over 10 years ago and I'm still watching that tv today. :thumbsup:

:agree: You can't buy tha wealth of information these guys share with us every day. It's thanks to their generosity that we're able to make educated decisions armed with years of combined knowledge and experence. Most times a simple thank you just doesnt seem like enough to express my/our appreciation. But I'll keep trying.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: THANKS GUYS!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I like how Lead_likes to promote his business_Follow neglects to post RC coil spring rates...
Why's that? Does he work for RC or sell their products?

He's motion offroad.

good products. I think he uses a mixture of parts...IIRC the springs may be RC but I'm not sure on that.

I was just commenting on how he completely ignores RC.

I like how Lead_likes to promote his business_Follow neglects to post RC coil spring rates...

Or I simply have no clue what their rates are.

I must hate them, along with Clayton's, Superlift, Zone Offroad, BDS (4.5" & 6"), and all the others I left out since I don't know the rates of.... :dunno:

I actually hate Rusty's but I posted those since I know them. :smart: