91 Eliminator 4x4

I was talking to ne body i can't get rid of this thing and it cost me over $1000 and i am trying to sell it for 425 and no takers i even told a couple of guys 375 but i really didnt want to sell it for that and still no go. I am starting to just put it in my Lancer and call it good since its taking up Jeep part storage. ;) so don't worry bout answering the post.

Cole

That's a pretty low price, in my opinion, I'm amazed no one took ya up on it. If I had the money for it and the shipping, I'd be on it in a heartbeat. :mad: Debt sucks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i now return us to our main topic here.

ok so i have the truck but weather has been bad for the last few days. i have not been able to tear into the CAD to "fix" the 4wd. the only thing i was able to do was try to put in my radio but i killed the clock and radio by dislodgeing a wire that i have no clue where it goes. one end is in the back of the clock the other is now hanging out from under the dash and on the drivers side floor now. the stupid parking brake light is also flashing on like crazy so i have to track that short down. the fog lights are not working so those need fixed. the dent in the cab corner will not get done til summer unless i can find some money somewhere or sell some of the TONS-O-PARTS i now have. i also found out that the front headlight doors do not fit from older MJs (which i knew but decided to try) so i need to find a pass side headlight door off an XJ or something 91-(96?). i also need the plastic peice that runs between the front flares below the bumper. i also think the power steering pump is either on its way out or just low on fluid. lowes ran out of the bolts i needed to put the rollbar in so it is just going in with a few bolts for now so it won't move around. once i put the XJ overhaed temp gauge/map lights in, i am going to replace the crappy MJ dome lights with speakers.

and now for the moment of truth. feerocknok, now that i have it what kind of pics do you want to see?

Alex

you guys want pics? well here they are. i just took the camper shell off along with the plastic liner and put the rollbar in. then i decided to join in on the fun around the farm. i still have not done my CAD fix yet but i am off to do that now.

if ya want to see more let me know. and the rollbar is only in temp right now. i need to take the bed off so i can drill the holes for the bars behind the cab without going through the gas tank. also you will notice that the roll-in bed liner is coming off and that i have not taken the foam tape off the doors yet from the lower case comanche logos. and oh yea, noone sees the RR Xing sign in the background of that one pic either. :roll:

Alex

it is in really good shape. not as good as my 86 but very close. there are some holes i need to patch in the bed and it could use a better tailgate. i also need to get that dent in the side fixed. then i also want to switch in an older header panel so i can use the old 10 slot grille from my 86. i also need to make a headliner for this one like i have done with my other two. i will get more pics if anyone wants to see anything else on it like underside, engine, cab, whatever. soon i hope to get the money together to get my umbrella decals for it then those pics will be added here as well.

Alex

No one ever notices in my pics:

You didn't mention your '86 badges!

Are those the factory roll bar lights?

Once you have the bumper on, you oughta fix that exhaust hanging down.

you should see all the highway and other street signs i have.

and don't ya like those '86 badges? they were all chrome when i got them but i taped off each letter and spray painted them black then some metallic black over that. i also did that with the 4x4 badges and all the other badges that i have not put on this one yet. as for the rollbar lights i am not sure if they are factory or not. i know the foglights are because he gave me the boxes to them. i will look into the rollbar lights, but i don't think they are. and can you believe it, the exhaust is not hanging down. it is setup to bent out and down under the hitch like that. i might hack it off and run it straight back til it needs a new exhaust put on it then i will split it so it has two out the back. oh i also forgot that the windsheild is spider-cracked so it needs replaced before winter.

Alex

Careful about sayin that! Some people'll flip over it. Not me though, I'm still a stupid kid that does stupid things and I'm dumb...

Forgot, living in Ohio means you get to put new exhaust on every few years.

thanks, don't remind me. i can't stand ohio weather. its either too hot or too cold. and the winters eat cars in 5 years tops. that is why i am going to por-15 this entire thing then move out west in the future.

and we get our street signs from ditches and dump trucks as they are takin the signs down to replace. lol.

Alex

thanks, don't remind me. i can't stand ohio weather. its either too hot or too cold. and the winters eat cars in 5 years tops. that is why i am going to por-15 this entire thing then move out west in the future.

and we get our street signs from ditches and dump trucks as they are takin the signs down to replace. lol.

Alex

And I'm planning to move out to Ohio in a few years, lol.

I found all mine buried in one big hole.

• 2 weeks later...

small update: still have not done the CAD fix since i have ran into other problems. i got the windsheild replaced. i got a better tailgate on it. and on its first trip threw our feild i about blew out a tire. i found an old fence post and it took a nice chunk out of the sidewall. i didnt notice til the next morning. it took all the rubber off but just a thin enough layer to hold the air in but with a nice size bubble. then when i went to take the tire off our floor jack we borrowed wouldnt work. we ended up useing bottle jack. but one of the lugs stripped since they were on so tight and we had to mess with it for a few hours to get it off so i didnt have to trash a canyon rim. now it has 3 good canyons with BFGs on them and one wagon with a almost slick GY. so things have sort of been delayed project wise til i get the money together for a full set of 31" tires that will do good in mud but not wear too fast on the road. anyone got any good tires they don't want anything for or at least know of any good ones i should get?

Alex

maxxis buckshots or bighorns.

I was quoted $425 for 4 buckshots 31x10.5 out the door on the truck. A little more for the bighorns.

apparently most people get about 30K out of them for a DD, my neighbor with a TJ got about that, and a few other peple that I've talked to that had them got between 25 and 30.

little noisy on the street at low speeds, highway speeds it's not bad, work well in mud.

i will take a look at the maxxis tires. where did you get that quote from?

Charles - i did not put the liner on but i don't think this is rhino liner anyways. it appears to be the cheapy kind that you buy in spray cans. if you look close you can see that it is coming off in bid chunks in places. i am going to get off what i can then use true rhino liner in the future when i rip out my carpet and rhino line the floor.

Joe - i sure am glad you didnt stash that thing. the lights are not wired and won't be for awhile but it fits nice. the only thing is that this truck never had one in it so i had to drill the holes. and the front is not bolted in at all because if i drilled the one behind the drivers side i would have gone through the tank. so the front will either never be bolted down or i will take the bed off to do it.

Alex

ok i did my CAD fix today and took pics along the way. so here they are in order.

located the CAD on the passengers side of the front axle.

took the cover off and disconnected everything from the cover.

slid the sleeve over to the left to "engage" 4wd.

cover right after coming off. lost some oil but not a lot.

cover/fork side shot.

top of cover after being cleaned.

notice where the fork is, that's where it is when it is not in 4wd and first came off.

the c-clip down in there on the rod against the fork needs to be pulled off to allow the fork to be worked over to the side it is in now as seen in the next pic.

worked the fork over after taking the c-clip off. this side it will hold the sleeve in the 4wd position. just work the fork over (it is sort of hard but trust me it will go) then reapply the c-clip to hold it there.

didnt get any more pics but all you have to do now is bolt the cover back up and reattach everything to the cover. but leave the vac lines off. i just zip tied mine up for now til i get to the store and get some caps.

i then put the truck up on four jack stands and tested it. i shot a video. here is the link to it. it is 5MBs so dial up beware. all it shows is the side of the truck with the tires spinning.

Alex

• 3 months later...

well i finally found a 19/32 socket.

so i will now be attempting to remove the front bumper so i can put an 86 grille on it.

i have been told that an older grille will not fit correctly and that there is nowhere for the trim to fit. but upon closer looks the holes for the trim are still there and it seems the only problem is going to be the corner markers not lining up with the 91 hole positions.

i figured i could just drill new holes and use longer screws and be done with it.

once i get a break in weather i will get this done with some pics.

Alex

I put an '84 XJ 10-slott'er on my MJ. Fits ok.

well with mine being a 91 stuff was changed that year. chrysler did a few mods to the way the grille went together. i will do some side-by-side shots of the 91-92 parts and the 86-90 grille parts when i do the swap. the trim above the grille is connected to the grille and then splits above the headlight doors and is connected to them. same way with the bottom trim. the 91 grilles are just 3 pieces rather then 5 pieces.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

well i put the parts of the 86 grille on the 91 the other day. here is how they turned out.

as you can see, i don't have the trim parts that go around the headlight doors. once i get around to going to the junkyard i will grab those parts. i forgot the grilles were like 7 not 5 parts.

as for the swap, it went easy. had to drill a few holes to make the top and bottom trim go on but that is it. but i think the headlight doors will be temps till i get some 91 style ones, then i will mod the top and bottom trim to fit in with the trim around the headlight doors. and in these pics the top and bottom trim is not on, will get some pics with that to replace these soon.

when i did the grille swap i also found out what was wrong with my vents not blowing out of any but the def vents. i took the bumper off and my vac can was busted. so i fixed it and now everything but my cruise control works, but i don't care about that for now.

i will get some pics up soon of what i am doing right now. the fog lights and flood lights in these pics do not work because they are either not hooked up and wired or there is a short in the wiring. so i am going to rewire both sets of lights and make them so i can turn them on whenever i want. i already hooked the flood lights up and they work, so now i just need to hook up the fog lights.

and on a side note, i finally got that optima yellow top i have been wanting. when i took my old battery out to run the wires for the flood lights and put new battery terminals on the wires i found out it was leaking. and who likes my new 31" dayton timberline a/t tires? man are these things great, too bad i was told they are discontinuing them. so i guess i will need to find another cheap but good all-around tire once these wear out.

Alex