Hacked huh

traitor5150

To follow up on an idea I tossed at Pete after he got this under control, this forum software doesn't have the best security features in the universe (duh!). An awful lot of sites seem to be happy with vBulletin (that's the one used by NAXJA and something like 500 or so other forums around the Internet). You have to buy or rent vBulletin, but it isn't that expensive. I'd be willing to send Pete a few bucks to buy a copy if he wants to migrate to vBulletin. How do other folks feel about that?

This is a new idea, so we need to investigate if we'd be able to migrate the existing psosts & threads over, or if we would have to keep this forum on-line as an archive for the old information. First things first: how many agree that vBulletin would be an improvement, and how many would be willing to chip in to buy a copy?

I don't think it's worth buying something. This works fine and 1000s of people use it too. There are dozens of packages for forums out there so picking one at random isn't necessarily better. You're always going to find some pro-this or pro-that people, as well as anti-this/that.

All the posts are just in a mySQL database so it's simple (given access to the DBs and a wee bit-o knowledge) but why bother? I think this is working pretty fine for being included in the hosting.

It wasn't "included", it was simply free online. Our host is working on some forum templates that would be available for a small monthly fee. When they come out I'll see what they are and how much they charge and we can think about it then. I may be willing to pay a couple bucks for something a bit more user friendly (meaning you don't need to be a computer geek to make changes). There's tons of research to be done before even contemplating voting on anything.

It wasn't "included", it was simply free online. Our host is working on some forum templates that would be available for a small monthly fee.

phpBB is free, opensource, but is also included in many host packages along with items such as WordPress (blog) and PostNuke as well as e-commerce drop in solutions etc. It looks something like:

fan_screenshot.gif

Although each hosting company has slightly different offerings. It's very nearly homogeneous on the web these days - basically if you're not running your own PC as a server OR don't have a custom ground-up website built on your company's in house server, you probably have fantastico as part of your package.

I'm sure your eyes are glazing over just like your relatives' at Thanksgiving when you start going into the ring gear in a Dana 44 thing, or coils vs. leaves, spring over spring under... so I'll can it for now.

I often wonder why other sites have such a limited selection. Of course, then there are some that have like 5 billion smilies. :hmm:

No no, it's something I really should learn. I just wish there was someone next to me that could point at the screen and say "click here", "now click here", "Ahhhh! don't click THAT!!". I could seriously benefit from some personal tutoring or at least some flash tutorials that show what's going on. It's like trying to learn a foriegn language when all you have are books in that language with nothing to translate.

To follow up on an idea I tossed at Pete after he got this under control, this forum software doesn't have the best security features in the universe (duh!). An awful lot of sites seem to be happy with vBulletin (that's the one used by NAXJA and something like 500 or so other forums around the Internet). You have to buy or rent vBulletin, but it isn't that expensive. I'd be willing to send Pete a few bucks to buy a copy if he wants to migrate to vBulletin. How do other folks feel about that?

This is a new idea, so we need to investigate if we'd be able to migrate the existing psosts & threads over, or if we would have to keep this forum on-line as an archive for the old information. First things first: how many agree that vBulletin would be an improvement, and how many would be willing to chip in to buy a copy?

I would be willing to send some $$ also if Pete chooses to go in that direction.

WTF i leave for a week and miss this..... :eek: one of the other jeeps sites i am on was hacked awhile back and they wiped out everything and it had to start all over again. Good work Pete.

Cole

Yeah I don't get on the board for a few days and all hell breaks loose. Congrats on saving everything Pete, If we all gave you the beer we owed you just think, you won't have to buy beer for a year or two. :D 8)

Pete - Very Interesting :hmm:

So with the geeks stats, the past 2 months he's been busy, and it was just a freek thing that he landed here on your site.

If the geek got a new hobby, like a MJ, he wouldn't have time to play around with his key board, he would be :wrench: the comanche.gif

The good news is that you got things recovered quickly :bowdown:

Hopfully you can come up with a program that will prevent this in the futrue. And as Eagle said, get some thing for a guard. I know alot of us would help you out $$ wise if you need to purchase some type of program, let us know.

I know your plate is full with other things, But keep up the good work :thumbsup: