231 dubbler

gonna be doing it for a friend's jeep soon....google search box4rocks np231 doubler, it will come up with some good write-ups on other forums.

...I don't know if box4rocks is still available, but there are other doubler companies. it's not cheap, but I'm told it's worthwhile. you'll need the front half of an np231 case to do it, plus your good np231

This is a tough thing to decide. I did my math and low/low is too low (7.4:1) and low/hi (2.72:1) is too high.

My AA Atlas with a 3.8:1 was perfect on 37s with 5.13s and an AW4. My buddy tried a 5:1 on an auto and it was WAY too low so I know the 7.4:1 wouldn't work. My buddy with a 5:1 and an AX-15 loves it on 40s and 5.38s.

For my MJ, I chose a 4:1 Klune in front of a 231. I now have a three speed TC set up with 2.72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1

If you were to find a NP205 (2:1) and a 231 (2.72:1) it would be a nice combination of 5.44:1.

Good luck.

both the klune and the 4:1 kit cost more than twice what a box4rocks doubler kit costs.

not in my budget in any foreseeable future...upwards of $1200 for that...

best bet for 4:1 is to find someone who totalled a rubicon wrangler and nab that np231

both the klune and the 4:1 kit cost more than twice what a box4rocks doubler kit costs.

best bet for 4:1 is to find someone who totalled a rubicon wrangler and nab that np231

There are deals to be had.

The 4:1 rubicon will be tough to get your speedo going.

There are deals to be had.

The 4:1 rubicon will be tough to get your speedo going.

...and will still be cheaper than spending $2000+ on a klune.

plus, IIRC the case is the same...the only difference is the output housing where the speedometer assembly *should* mount, and there probably is not a worm gear on the output shaft.

but, if it's true to most NP t-cases, you can *probably* take the guts from a rubicon case, put them in a regular np231 case, and either add a worm gear for your speedo gear, or swap output shafts with a regular np231 t-case.

plus, IIRC the case is the same...the only difference is the output housing where the speedometer assembly *should* mount, and there probably is not a worm gear on the output shaft.

but, if it's true to most NP t-cases, you can *probably* take the guts from a rubicon case, put them in a regular np231 case, and either add a worm gear for your speedo gear, or swap output shafts with a regular np231 t-case.

Nope. It is all electronic. The parts are quite different and nicer! I rebuilt a RockTrac and can post up all the images for you if you want. I took them for the TeraFlex website and their 2LO install.

I never priced a Klune. One fell into my lap. I spent the $80 on a couple of parts from them to get it going. Doint it again I would probably get an atlas at the price you stated but I didn't pay that much for my Atlas though.

Nope. It is all electronic.

I never priced a Klune. One fell into my lap. I spent the $80 on a couple of parts from them to get it going. Doint it again I would probably get an atlas at the price you stated but I didn't pay that much for my Atlas though.

what's all electronic? the speedo? yes, it is. the 91+ ones were electric too, but you could pull the electric sender out and put a mechanical one in...they were the same.

with that in mind, I think someone with a bit of time and inginuity could pull it off.

what's all electronic? the speedo? yes, it is. the 91+ ones were electric too, but you could pull the electric sender out and put a mechanical one in...they were the same.

with that in mind, I think someone with a bit of time and inginuity could pull it off.

The 231s were the same but the RockTracs are not.

3+_Medium_.JPG

6+_Medium_.JPG

45+_Medium_.JPG

4+_Medium_.JPG

JB Conversions makes an adapter to use the electronic plug (RockTrac is a 4 prong and the XJ/MJ is a 3 prong).

http://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=7

The folks I know that have it never addressed the speedometer issue and are going without.

I would like to see the one who comes up with a way of making this compatible with the mechanical speedometer. :wavey:

I do not have any pics of my setup(it is in boxes in my shed)

you can find some good pics at down east offroad or google "flipped dana300"

I copyed the d.e.o. flip kit with some drawlings I got on pirate 4x4

the Dana 300 above does not have a flip kit installed, which can work fine but limits shifter options & could leak from the shift rails.

I do not have any pics of my setup(it is in boxes in my shed)

you can find some good pics at down east offroad or google "flipped dana300"

I copyed the d.e.o. flip kit with some drawlings I got on pirate 4x4

here a couple pics of the flip kit

1.jpg

Flip kit installed

231/D300 (NOT flipped)

the Dana 300 above does not have a flip kit installed, which can work fine but limits shifter options & could leak from the shift rails.

Yeah, that was the mock up stage,

the plan was to run a STaK replace-a-case.

Stronger than the stock 300 case, and has the output on the correct side without flipping it.

It's just the old problem of once you do the math:

case + $$ for the HD ft output + 4:1, you're knocking on the door of an Atlas.

Then AA offered a 5:1 Atlas w/HD ft output, + lube & tube kit for $1995 this time last year, so I readjusted 'the plan'. :D

Wow. That is a lot of work for just 7.5:1

:yes:

And using 3 boxes with the same exact low range really limits your selection.

Triple 1.96 cases (4 options):

1.96 x 1.96 x 1.96 = 7.53

1.96 x 1.96 = 3.84

1.96 = 1.96

1:1

There are cheaper options that would give you deeper overall gears, and as many, or more gear choices,

but most aren't even close in strength to this combo.

I think with rockwells as axles 7to1 in the t-cases give it helluva low firsy gear.

ON my truggy I am doing the Jed's machine 203/d300 doubler. With new 203 to 300 output, it was 600 shipped. Of course this will be tripple sticked, But I am going to make my own cable shifters for it though.

I will have

1 to 1

2 to 1

1 to 2.64

1 to 5.28

With the option of ading a 4 to 1 to the d300 for an ultimate low of 8 to 1. Also be able to do front digs :yes: